Any Change Of Renoise Ever Implementing Audio Reco

ng)

It’s seriously driving me f****ing crazy having to work between Live, Wavelab and Renoise, just to record a pad sound from a normal synth…

Especially as Renoise seems to mute any other audio app open at the same time right now (which means I can’t monitor a digital input)… or not respond at all if I open it at the same time as Live…

Just a little red button on the sample editor, which would record whatever’s coming into the analogue/digital input, would make life much easier… just direct sound or something, ASIO hasn’t worked for me anyway… Can always edit out latency innit…

I’ve got the same 3 words going around my head from dusk 'till dawn, “buy an MPC”, “buy an MPC”, etc…

I have no problem with recording in other application while playing music in Renoise. Of course, I need to switch to WDM Drivers or I’m using POD XT Asio driver. Releasing ASIO driver in background doesn’t work well / always.

NO!! :ph34r:

Yeah, sorry, just get really frustrated sometimes…

I need to monitor the digi in at the same time as playing renoise - which soundforge + USB soundcard doesn’t seem capable of - then there’s the business of saving and loading - it just destroys my flow…

I can do it in Ableton okay - as long as I switch them both to direct sound or whatever - but life’s just getting complicated again… the best music’s made on either a piano or a guitar… certainly not two sequencers, a PC, a few folders of plug-ins, and a load of outboard…

I do wish there was something to bridge the gap between Renoise and Live!

If you could combine the loop approach and audio recording/manipulation, with the hardware style programming, you’d have the perfect app.

no i was just kidding :)

personally i am not recording much, so i dont really care if renoise has that feature or not but i dont mind of course if it will be implemented :)

So you guys are having that problem too? I’ve always been able to record stuff from a running Cubase by sampling it in Sound Forge simultaneously, you know, nice for saving an idea to a wav-file, especially when using outboard synths. But sampling Renoise with Sound Forge only work some of the times, not all the time. I’ve been thinking of bugreporting this but it just seems too complex, I can’t tell if it has something to do with DirectSound / ASIO or not.

I don’t think the devs will do anything about that. It would enable a possibility to render output with the demo of Renoise.
There are also a couple of vst’s that do wave or harddisk recording that are being voided (in the demo version).

vvoois: Well if that is the case, it should be fixed in the registered version at least. Also, from what I can remember it was less of a problem when I used the demo-version (where only DirectSound was available), but I have to do some testing to confirm this.

Yes, I seem to remember it being less of a problem with version 1.2x

Although that could be down to a different soundcard in part…

I must say, for all my moaning, I think renoise is only inches away from being the most complete and inspirational sequencer I’ve ever used… I would just much rather these missing, fundamental features, such as basic audio recording, taken care of before we start seeing all of these ‘vanity extras’, like piano rolls and graphical arrange pages…

I was just using this new sequencer, Podium, earlier today - which has a most wonderful interface, and maybe one of the best piano rolls I’ve used too - but half an hour clicking notes in and out, changing between pencil and pointer tools on a mouse, and it’s a wonder how anyone can complete a 5 minute piece of music without serious, long-term wrist damage…

I really agree! All critics aside, I really find Renoise very inspiring to mess around with and I have a lot of fun using it and making music with it. Renoise has just got it so ‘right’ in so many areas, no doubt about that.

yeah, if you do it that way… but for recording sequences via MIDI keyboard piano roll is better and you get no wrist damage ;)

This is true… Although these days I don’t tend to plug the MIDI interface in at all…

I find I usually program everything that needs programming, then play the musical elements in live and record as audio… Quantization usually comes in the form of lots of hacking, copying & cutting up in the sample editor, or warp points in ableton (although the loss of quality can be quite concerning)…

I was lucky enough to pick up an Eventide Harmonizer for a very reasonable price last year, so I like to make the most of it! Preferably use it on everything.

i usually use midi keyboard to just jam and improvise and when i “find” something worthy i progam it step by step into renoise…

audio recording would be a wonderful addition, much more important than the piano roll.

but why do you wanna record directly into renoise? you still have to process that recording, make noise reduction etc what you cant do within renoise…

why? So I can record vocals without doing a pre-render, for instance.

Fruityloops’ use of audio recording is actually pretty good; the idea is that it’s a channel like any other that you can put effects on, etc. (so I can record live through guitar rig, or a delay effect, or something else stupid) … you arm it and record while playing along to your track and it dumps it out as a sample.

Super straightforward and really useful.

Now if we can just have live quantization …

yes i understand what you want but i think its not good idea to put that raw material you record right into your song and then use vsts or whatever. One thing is that it will waste CPU recources but actually vsts cant do all. One of those things is noise reduction. lets say you want to record vocals or something. I think most of us dont have expencive studio environment and there is decent level of backgound noise present in our recordings. One thing that helps in that situation is noise reduction tecnique where you give a progam your noise sample/profile and with that information it can quite efectively remove it from recording. I do it with all of the material i happen to record. And no vst can do it cause its not done in real time.

trackit: Hmm, there are software that does noise reduction in realtime, for example Sonic Foundrys Noise Reduction (even though it is DirectX, but that still works in Cubase f.ex.) and Waves X-Noise.

Anyway, sorry for being slightly off-topic.

does it use noise profile tecnique? :unsure:

or just filters…

A live situation?