Any Information On The Next Renoise?

I’ve been greatly enjoying Renoise but I’m curious if there is any news on approximately when the next update will come out, if there is any sort of regular update schedule, and if there is a roadmap of what is being worked on. I’m also curious if there will be any new opportunities to vote on features. It looks like the last round of voting was for 1.8, which was released in early 2007.

I’m really hoping to cast a vote for a bounce to disk feature… I’ve recently began learning to create the rich soundscapes of modern trance, the art of layering, etc… and I’m punishing my dual-core laptop. It’s impeding creative progress because the only alternatives are frustrating.

I think he meant loading all stuff from drive instead of having everything in RAM…
With larger samples this can be convenient and allows you to use over 3GB of sample space.

Perhaps I should have been more specific… it would be much more useful if you could freeze a track to disk without having to play the files back through the sampler. Just something you could toggle for a track.

I’ve been doing this for years, using eXT (v 1.4) loaded as VST instrument in Renoise. I’ve been freezing tracks for years too, in Renoise, using FX Freeze.

:guitar: Thanks for the FX Freeze reference. It certainly seems to be good enough for my needs at the moment. It doesn’t work with Vanguard, which is one of my key synths, but luckily Vanguard isn’t a CPU pig like z3ta+. Being able to freeze everything but the Vanguard tracks is leaving me with enough overhead for the moment…

That said, it would still be ideal for Renoise to support this natively. It doesn’t seem like that difficult of a feature to implement… Renoise already renders individual tracks to disk, it just needs a way to be able to use these files as disk-backed caches which are played out for a track in place of its instrument/effect stack if enabled.

One user’s opinion…

It shouldn’t even be a compromise to use the stock kernel. IMNSHO, the sound architecture in Linux is vastly better than it is in Windows, and the process scheduler excels as well. I mix with xwax (using FIFO scheduling and mlockall()) on a bone-stock 2.6 linux kernel with 2 ms latency. As long as you’re fully preemptible and have 1000hz tick resolution, you can get great results out of the box. The reality is that most of the -rt work has been merged into mainline long ago, and the remaining differences are mostly concerned with achieving deterministic latency, which is a different goal than achieving low latency.

(Full disclosure: because of my VST collection I am a Windows Renoise user, and a Linux “everything else” user.)

yeah i will have to stick to xp too

i cant get my novation nocturn working in linux,and plogue bidule dont run on linux

but again i dont have many problems with xp

really looking forward to see whats included in the next renoise build :dribble:

Yeah seems to be longer to this update or maybe i’m just looking forward to it , whatever it is hehehe
Who knows

Bungle

Well, looking at your status, I see:

Maybe this is like when you are a kid, time goes by really slow? But when you are old time flies?

Erm and perhaps you shouldn’t judge how long people have been using an app by the amount of time they have been a member of the forum ;)

I was using Renoise on and off for answering questions for Reaper users for a long time before i registered it and started using it to actually make tunes

Bungle

Still, wasn’t it several years between 1.0 and 2.0? 2.0 came out like 6 months ago. I wouldn’t be expecting an update even from a company that puts out a stupid huge number of updates (like Ableton).

Uh ?
I didn’t say i was expecting an update
Just looking forward to it whatever it is

Sorry if that wasn’t clear

Bungle

but I remember somebody saying something about Christmas… Can’t find it anymore though .

Wasn’t judging. Tried making a joke. Failed?

Haha.

i just got word that…

it’s gun b awesum!1 :D/

Nah prolly me Conner
Bad day at the office as it where ;)

Bungle