Are hardware synths good to use with Renoise?

I’m not saying that isn’t the case. But that Suva’s statement that getting a audio interface (soundcard for the computer) is not generally a guaranteed way to improve MIDI jitter and I would not expect them to generate clock internally accurately but for it to be down to the host. Of course when you are using a piece of hardware as the Master it’s not going to be down to the computer at all.

MIDI jitter comes from being a 7-bit serial communication standard developed in 1981, the spec allows for 16 channels of CC data but in truth the spec can’t handle it. It is avoided by not using CC data and making those sorts of changes with your hands in real time.

To me, those live changes are the reason to use Renoise and MIDI.

Not really! You can get jitter with just a single CC value being transmitted at say 96PQN and 120BPM, and that is a low rate compared to what it’s capable. If it was purely down to problems with the standard then there wouldn’t be the massive differences in measured jitter between OSX and Windows!

It’s not just the standard, it is also the difference in the way it is implemented in devices, hardware, and software. What I mean in the long run is, expect limits. Try not to be disappointed by the limits, and instead look for ways to make them work to your advantage. In the long run, VSTs are convenient and easy to control.

hi. i use renoise as midi seq and cc recorder. then i route midi to pure data to trigger hardware or renoise intruments, i dont use midi clock.
best regs
./h

thnx!

Pure data is awesome ;)

Yes! But IMO best used as sample fodder, riffy/bassline loops you can chop and reorder for variation, etc.

If you like casio, maybe a cz1000 is more fun and much cheaper casio? Really, after you figure out how it works you can do alot with it. Hands on control is minimal, doesn’t make every sound in the world. But, uses regular batteries so no soldering, usually working correctly still (after 1/4 century), no vsts that i’ve heard really sound the same, makes nice bass and tons of very weird specialfx type sounds, resell for same price you paid after you get bored.