Arguru Sinc Vs Cubic Interpolation

Very curious guys…what is the difference between the two?

Secondly, if Arguru sinc is perfect, why is cubic recommended…I read on this forum it is because Renoise uses cubic interpolation.

If that is the case how is perfect interpolation actually…well perfect!?

Ha! Making me laugh just writing about it as obviously i am clueless!!

Any thoughts?

Bicubic is what you hear realtime when you press play in renoise. If you like what you hear, render out with bicubic.

Arguru is more accurate.

This is a good link if you want more info :

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/quality.php

Ok thx guys for response…esp@Bantai for going through the trouble to draw a picture so to speak…

To me, however, the first example looked the most appealing to the eye even though the words Pattern Editor had aliasing.

I know it is a basic example, however, it seemed clearer.

The question is then, why is interpolation necessary…this is not an accusation of fault directed at Renoise as from my limited awareness many audio products use this.

Is interpolation the creation of evenly spaced parameters between two set parameters?
ie… set parameter a(step1)=1, set parameter b(step 3)= 5 interpolation would state that undefined parameter c(step 2) would now=3

If this is true, then where is the interpolation taking place…between samples? And why would perfect interpolation alter the waveforms?

Interesting stuff thx!

Interpolation just picks two points and adds multiple other points in between to get better results and to allow transforming lineary results into logarithmic results or whatsoever.
The only downside of interpolation is that typical audio polution of analog electrical components cannot be generated and thus such natural mistakes will not be audible if one attempts to mimic synth hardware of which the authentic sound relies on these analog mistakes…

Cheers, thx for your response…what two points when rendering though?

Sample to sample? ie. between cycle 34000 and 34001(hz)

Merry x-mas btw! :)

Well, if you are rendering a 48Khz sample to 96Khz, then probably yes, it is simply an oversampling trick. There is a lot more to it, but i think you better check out Wikipedia on this matter.