Arpeggio

hi!
recently got way into tracking, not looking back…

i was just wondering, because my playing around with it doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere, how i’m meant to be using the arp sample command.

if anyone has an example or little tutorial, or even just a quick run down on how it works, it’d help out a lot. i’m more used to just throwing in how many triggers per bar it is has and how many steps it transposes up or down within that.

sorry if its too vague or has been covered.

assuming you aren’t doing something obviously wrong it might be that you are using a high lpb. i use 12 and sometimes it’s not that easy to hear it depending on what wav is played back.

isn’t there an example song showcasing all the pattern fx in the sample folder in renoise?

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Effect_Commands

arpeggio command is vastly used into demosong “The Path 2.009” available in the Songs subfolder of Renoise installation.

maybe you expect it to automatically create notes spreaded over more than one row, but it’s not like that: the arpeggio command is part of the legacy of trackers and its range of operation is all inside the current row.

first of all, let me say that rows are actually divided into ticks

if you for example set a command like this:

note ins comm  
C-4 01 005C  

you are telling Renoise to perform a three-ticks note cycle. By default, each row is divided into 12 ticks, so your row will actually play like this:

tick note ins   
01 C-4 01   
02 F-4 01 <= the "5" in 005C means "play the 5th of the playing note"; then the 5th of C-4 is F-4  
03 C-5 01 <= the "C" in 005C means "play the 12th of the playing note"; then the 12th of C-4 is C-5  
04 C-4 01   
05 F-4 01  
06 C-5 01  
07 C-4 01   
08 F-4 01  
09 C-5 01  
10 C-4 01   
11 F-4 01  
12 C-5 01  

remember: these 12 notes will all be played inside a single row!

that certainly clears it up, thanks! but i’m guessing like the previous poster said, it’s sort of hard to hear/use at a higher line per beat rate than about 1 or 2.

this command was indeed intended to be used with the so called chip sounds (single wave cycles) to fake chords during the early days of computer music when you could not play more than 4 notes at a time, that’s why I told you it is part of the legacy of trackers. Still, it can create interesting sounds nowadays too