Auto-looping a section

Hello,

I have a track split up into sections (verse, chorus, etc.). I am using a MIDI controller (a MIDI Fighter Spectra), to schedule patterns to play.

However, I would like to schedule the first pattern in a section to play (which I can, easily) and ALSO make the section loop. Is there any way to do this? Obviously I can make a pattern loop automatically but what about a section? Are there any tools to do this?

Thanks!

3989 Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 6.59.43 PM.png

[quote=“Roger Jungemann”]
Hello,

I have a track split up into sections (verse, chorus, etc.). I am using a MIDI controller (a MIDI Fighter Spectra), to schedule patterns to play.

However, I would like to schedule the first pattern in a section to play (which I can, easily) and ALSO make the section loop. Is there any way to do this? Obviously I can make a pattern loop automatically but what about a section? Are there any tools to do this?

Thanks!

3989 Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 6.59.43 PM.png

You can make blockloop on your left corner. This will loop a selection of a pattern.

You can make blockloop on your left corner. This will loop a selection of a pattern.

You want to do this with what? Mouse? Keyboard? MIDI controller?

You know if you click on the pattern loop indicator/button by the name of the section, rather than by a real pattern, it will set the entire selection to loop in one quick click?

Keyboard or MIDI I suggest you take a look at my tool.

kazakore: Nice! Your “Queue Section…” commands does basically all of what I need!

What you mention about clicking the loop indicator by the section name to make the whole section loop, can that be done programmatically?

With regards to how I hope to achieve this stuff, and keyboard shortcuts work for what I want to do. Originally I wanted to use my dedicated MIDI controller for live use but for now I’ll use the keyboard and maybe eventually write a MIDI-mappable UI (I’m somewhat handy with Lua and the Renoise API).

Mouse is right out because I’ll be playing a MIDI keyboard and reaching over to change sections, but as I mentioned your tool does the heavy lifting of navigating sections.

Not sure what you mean by programatically. If you mean could it be scripted, then I believe Loop Section has actually been added to my tool (or is it only in my local version??) I never set a single shortcut to both queue and loop at once but I did consider it. Could be quite easily done…

It doesn’t appear to be in v0.2. Would you mind sending me the version you have? I would really appreciate it!

Don’t worry about making a version that queues and loops a section all at once, it might be somewhat of a niche thing and if I need it I can add it :¬)

My intent for queuing up a section and looping it is so that when a section plays it will keep playing, so I can improvise live, like adding a solo after a section and so on. And for extended intros and outros.

It’s quite possible I broke something else while working on it so give it a good testing of all functions you might want. I haven’t touched the code in many months and can’t remember exactly what stage I got to. Let me know if there are any issues with anything. (File attached.)

Thanks kazakore! All of the Lua tools you make are very useful for my purposes, much appreciated.

I made some modifications and it indeed works perfectly for my purposes with my MIDI Fighter! Thanks! I PM’ed you my modifications, hope they can be of use to you.