Avalanche - Titty Twister

Hi Renoisers !

When I made this track I wanted “a big distorted sound”, but I can’t say if it’ s crap or not… Could you please tell me ? Even if you say that I’ ve wasted 3:47 of your time it would be ok I really don’t mind, be harsh and fair.

http://soundcloud.com/avalanchebar/titty-twister

Thanks for listening !

Too bright and loud imho. And the clap sounds odd. But it’s still a nice and progressive track.

The main things for me:

• The “droning” quality of the melody needs to be broken up more…? - Split the melody into two or three themes… temporally-separated and/or layered - Needs more & lower bass in between the kicks - 2:06 seems to be just bad timing - Breakdown needs more “contrast” with the main melody - Clap sounds oddly weak even at its loudest - pitch it down a few semitones? - Hihats are somehow weak also - you need to strike that careful balance between f*kking hard but not annoying - Going for “in-your-face”? I think you need some sudden silences/restarts, even if only short - don’t let reverb tails weaken your transitions from quiet to loud - Use a little bit of this to address my 1st point? - Try sudden silences on different tracks vs. the whole pattern
    Maybe use these for inspiration?

• Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You (accidentally set the precedent for shitloads of compression due to the way it played over FM broadcast) - Daft Punk - Da Funk - Rank 1 Vs. Jochen Miller - And Then (great angry basslead at ~3:55)
    EDIT: Wow reading that, I am obsessed with breakdowns.

I disagree with almost everything in marty’s list. And the French name to bring up is not Daft Punk or Startdust, but Justice. I like it.

My only grievance is that the clap is annoyingly out of time now and then. The idea might have been to make it “interesting,” but it fails.
Also, rather than beefing that up, you may want to beef up the snare and the bass.

Hi, thanks for your comments ! I find this song very annoying now, but I’ll finish it anyway :)

So as absolutely everybody hates this clap, I’ m gonna get rid of it : I’ ll put some classic rock sounding drums, but with more variations. I think I’ ll let the Hi Hat that way, maybe even softer, because I personally hate it when an Hi-hat is too loud :) I also tried to make the snare louder, but didn’t sound good.

I’ ll also bring some more variations in the bass, re-EQ it to make the low frequencies louder. I think some quiet->loud breaks are a very good idea, and I won’t let any reverb wasting them !

I’ ll also add a quieter part at around 3:00, the song seems to be going nowhere because I didn’t really cared about it at first. So maybe I’ll also change the melody to make this right, we’ll see…

Anyway, thanks again, I’m happy some liked it, and also that some didn’t ! And yeah, I think if there is a comparison, Justice stands before Daft Punk, because there is way more breaks and distorted sounds. And because I would not compare my poor track to Daft Punk :)