Best Linux Distro For Renoise

(oneunkind) #1

since i don’t really want my (windows) daw on the internet anymore (obvious reasons) but i would like to have some cool music software (renoise) on my internet computer (linux) for fun and convenience… wonder if anyone has any advice on what distribution performs best/least trouble/most fun with renoise et. al. … used fedora/hat things for a few years but, i dunno, never tried much audio stuff with it and i’m not so much into it anymore really. or maybe i’m wrong and should just plow on through with fedora?

edited because i’m not getting babied with autospell like i do in wondows. :(

(iswa) #2

I’ve used Renoise exclusively on Linux for a few months now and have never had any problems.

The easiest distro I found to use (with little or no issues at all - everything just worked), was AV Linux. AV Linux is a 32 bit distro, and is fully configured with most of the applications and plugins etc you need to make music, including the realtime kernel (required to make Jack run well). My main music-making system runs AVLinux and Renoise.

I also use Renoise regularly on an Ubuntu 12.04 64bit laptop. This doesn’t have an RT kernel, but I haven’t had any problems yet. I would assume that the AV-focused version of Ubuntu - Ubuntu Studio - would probably work well for you also.

One thing to note is that it is probably easiest to use a 32 bit version of Linux - I found sometimes it was hard to find 64 bit versions of some plugins, and ended up running Renoise in 32 bit mode to get around the issue. Not ideal.

In short - I recommend AVLinux. Just works.

…both Firefox and Google Chrome on Linux can baby you with ‘autospell’ too you know :)

Kind regards,
ian

PS. there is an excellent guide to making music on Fedora Linux here. I think it makes interesting reading for all burgeoning Linux musicians, not just those using Fedora.

(oneunkind) #3

k. put avlinux on my very short list. thanks. never heard of it until now…

(rhowaldt) #4

there’s been a discussion about this before, and one of the main points that came out of it was that you should go for a light window manager so that you have more system resources to use for your audio. so, go with a light distro. if you are looking for light and simple, check out [url=http://crunchbanglinux.org/]crunchbang linx[/org]. it is basic and doesn’t get in your way. you get the added bonus of a small and friendly community. i use it on a daily basis, both for ‘regular’ work and audio work.

(Cas) #5

holy shit, i just tried avlinux, and it’s friggin awesome. really it’s got about everything you would expect from a multimedia linux iso. only thing is jack defaults to 44kHz, all other things work really great… I do think they misspelled herr Eduard’s first name in the manual though :P
anyway I was rockin right away, hydrogen hooked to guitarix for mad distortion, yushimi (zynaddsubfx renewed) sequenced from renoise demo (with a2jmidid or sth), yeahhh
awesome stuffs. also the fact you can have renoise with 8 in 8 out with jack, and connect them freely (i.e. use guitarix distortion and multiband distortion stuff in a ‘send’ and ‘return’ track) is quite amazing. also some useful windows vsts are installed and work ootb under which 2 vocoders and more TAL plugins.
props to the developer!

(Raegae) #6

Hi Fellas !! What is the best Linux distro for Renoise in 2019 ???
I think i need to reinstall Linux once again. And I wonder which distro it will be. What distros are U using? Have the game changed, is there any game changers / new distros for audio production?
I have been using Ubuntu Studio but just wonder is there something better? AV Linux maybe?
Any thoughts appreciated

(Meef Chaloin) #7

Depends what you want and need really. If you want the whole shabang already optimised and set up then avlinux is still a great option. Alternatively, you could use any distro really. I use kde neon with kxstudio repo so I get up to date kde and audio stuff but a stable LTS base, plus the liquorix kernel.

(Jesse Schilling) #8

I’ve been running Q4OS with the default Trinity DE for a bit now on my primary Linux rigs. Light on resources (280-290MB idle on an oldish HP Pavilion g 4). I use the kxstudio repos and haven’t had any issues.

I am also a fan of antiX and MX Linux. Both are great distros with good communities. antiX is exceptionally light-weight. MX is a smidge heavier than Q4OS (turns out Trinity is lighter than XFCE). kxstudio repos play nice with antiX and MX as well.

Haven’t tried Renoise in Devuan, but it would likely be about the same as MX.

(lilith) #9

It really doesn’t matter. I’m using Debian / Stable and added the KX Repos by hand. It’s not much work to add the stuff by hand. The configuration of Jack, Pulse, etc. will be done automatically by a KX script. Here’s a description:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18436

When choosing Debian take Buster as Stretch is quite old meanwhile.

(Raegae) #10

Thank you about nice answers!
I will examine those distros closer, and let you know what i think.

I have always been using Ubuntu Studio and for now i use basic Ubuntu because of the time being (~ year ago) Ubuntu Studio was on hold / in danger to lose support. I cheked the Ubuntu Studio news now and it looks like they are still bit struggling to maintain the project and were without “package upload permissions”. But anyways it looks like they are back on track and new Ubuntu Studio is goin to be released 18th of this month.

I am not expert in Linux so that is why I appreciate automatic installations of Jack and preinstalled realtime kernels and preinstalled softwares/synths/tools and whatnot to explore and try. I could say that I have average skills in using Linux and installing things by hand is no problem if I have proper instructions.

(Jesse Schilling) #11

@Raegae

Based on that, I’d suggest MX Linux most from my list. (Maybe Q4OS as well.)

MX Linux gives you some really nice options for getting things done easily. that being said, the community is really good and would be an excellent source of guidance if you are wanting to learn more about Linux and doing more things manually.

Ultimately, I agree with @lilith. As a whole, any distro should be fine. The in-house tools and communities are what differ the most.

(lilith) #12

Yup, MX Linux (based on Debian) seems also to be great! It’s also easier to install compared to Debian and there’s a good manual too. Likely my next distro