Brainstorming about Renoise contests

You suggest 4 contests, but most things you mention here should be part of “All Native” (native sound design) or MBC (odd signatures etc.). And why -14 LUFS? Is anybody interested in posting this stuff on Spotify? If you ask me loudness doesn’t matter. Imagine a beginner without a clou would like to participate… And let’s face it, a tune which is shorter than 3 minutes is not a song. Personally I clearly would prefer a contest without nerdy restrictions like 4 columns max. Instead I would prefer some given themes in terms of music, just like the cat theme in MBC14. It’s only about the music! :wink:

1 Like

I tried to imagine 4 completly different contests.
I’m myself not interested with technical hard challenges.
But some here could be interested, I don’t know.

And there is still a very complex point over all that:

How to find 4 (un)organizers to (un)organize all that? :badteeth:

1 Like
  • All Native
    In this one, no VST, but should include a mandatory sample pack. I think there has been such a contest a few years ago.

I would be very up for this. It would be great to see the entries’ .XRNS and how they mangled and manipulated the original samples to their liking! I also appreciate though that it would take more effort upfront to create a samplepack.

I think having everyone contributing to the prize will limit participation and having more compos per year will dilute participation and we’ll end up with fewer than 10 participants. So one or maybe two compos per year will be ideal I think and prizes can be as simple as a virtual trophy you can use for a bit of instagram action.

2 Likes

@Garf
Maybe you’re right, furthermore I assume there aren’t enough people who are currently creating music AND watching this forum now and then AND are interested in partcipating. And those who are posting now and then prefer different styles and different approaches of composing, therefore the expectations for a competition differ, too. But nevertheless I think no one gets hurt by contributing around 2-3 € to the prize pool for having some fun and doing something nice. Even if there were only 10 participants the prize could be a good VST like this. Of course the prize could also be nothing but glory and honor. Anytime. Which is cool, but I think it’s cooler to get glory and honor and a good VST or a shirt or whatever. And to be honest, I personally think it’s even more fun to give than to receive. You could experience both within one competition. :wink:

Those who want it have to work for it, otherwise it won’t happen. It’s as simple as that,

Hope we are going to have two compos going forward because the old MBC is dedicated to craziness which I won’t partake in anymore, too old for that, I just want a regular compo where it’s about the music and Renoise.

Thanks for all your nonsense. :smiley:

I think we also had a good run with the good old Dead Dog Renoise Competition thanks to kazakore.

1 Like

No VSTs or any other extra plugins.

Or only a very very small set of VSTs allowed - ones that are multi platform and free - and they do something essential that Renoise can’t. Like Surge XT FM synth.

I agree that it’s better to have 2 contests with 30 contribs than 4 contests with 5 contribs.
So I hope we will keep the yearly MBC + the yearly MBCR.
Composing and remixing are 2 musical completly different approaches and I like both.

Yes, this too.
Feedbacks are also parts of why we make music.

It was clear from the very beginning that MBC stands for “Mutant Breaks Compo” without being a competition and it’s about Breakbeats (unfortunately primarily Breakcore, what I really don’t like) and loops, that’s why I never participated except MBC14, which had a good theme for the very first time. All right, who else is interested in another competition? We can make it happen, no problem at all. I’m willing to help, but I’m not willing to be the only one organizing everything and pay for everything like all the prizes on my own. This should be a task for everyone who’s interested. But who is interested? We have to find out first. If there are not enough prospects it’s not worth the time to deal with it.

The name is ERA. Why ERA? Because having this competition is the beginning of a new era of electronic masterpieces ( :wink:). ERA stands for Electronic Renoise Audio. You can prove your composing skills by composing without (!) loops (!) but of course you can use any VST you can imagine. So what do you think?

3 Likes

yeah man, start it up :+1:
I’m always down to clown, and a real competition could be fun. If it’s a competition, I think voting should definitely be open to all, contributors and everyone else on the forum, but contributor voting should be mandatory. Maybe all entrants can throw in $5+/euro as an entrance fee that goes towards the prize pot?

A long time ago I did a small project where I had to write a composition from a single sound fragment. 808 kick.

The project turned out to be very interesting from the point of view of creativity. and after 13 years I would like to repeat it.

but just repeating the walk is not so interesting and I found an ideal candidate

how about writing a track using a plug-in called Sonic-Charge Microtonic for synthesis without resampling.
at the end, I want to take all the tracks and make a mixtape out of it all.
If you are interested in this challenge let me know.
The term is limited by the demo period of the plugin.

have a fun!

2 Likes

I’d be down. You should start a new thread for it, so it’s all in one place. Maybe link to the microtonic demo download there, too

any other rules besides no resampling? external processing or only microtonic? can we sequence in renoise just using microtonic as a tone generator?

@TNT I can contribute with making virtual trophies/medals and manage a web presence for ERA compos. Always only hold compos over holiday periods so we have time.

1 Like

I’m afraid that will cut participation in half though.

Why not join a compo with proper rules like this one:

All right, that’s a good approach. And yes, I would suggest April/May and/or September/October for competitions. Let’s see who else is willing to contribute something. We need to collect everything right here.

Ok, I’m up for that. But if voting would be open to everybody on the forum, votes by participants should count more. I think that would be fair. Maybe keep my suggestion from above in terms of voting of participants (1st place 5 points, 2nd place 3 points, 3rd place 1 point) and every vote by anyone else counts 1 point, regardless of who’s first, second and third. Personally I’m also cool with an entrance fee of 5€. The question is what kind of competition is desired? A competition with prizes as an incentive to participate (and more fun if you ask me), or a competition without prizes but “glory and honor”? Should this become a more serious competition without losing its fun or another random, funny pastime? If a more serious competition is preferred there’s no question about an entrance fee as long as nobody sponsors everything. Let’s collect some more opinions here.

Personally I don’t like contests promoting a specific thing like a specific VST or contests having (too many) restrictions at all. In fact MBC14 was the first music contest ever I participated. And the only reason I participated was because I liked the theme and VSTs were allowed. I’m not interested in showing my skills regarding restrictions just like “create a tune by only using VST X”, “only 4 tracks are allowed”, “file size max 100 KB” or whatever. Instead I’m interested in creating MUSIC. Of course without limitations. It’s about the music and not about playing around with technical limitations. Back in the 80s and 90s it was cool to push the boundaries and to get the best out of technically limited possibilities, but not today. There are no more technical limitations, so there’s no more need to fuck around with that.

1 Like

I am down to give some money but not for the competition as a prize, instead I feel those who will take the time to organise the competition should be paid.I don’t care about winning prizes and no I am not a rich guy I barely make my monthly payments .Making some good music is enough for me and I stand on what I said on an earlier post that there should be an official contest from the developer of Renoise giving away a licence either Renoise or Redux .

2 Likes