Brainstorming: Arranger

I don’t know, maybe it’s good or even great for subtick, i’d probably prefer an optimized “Delay note” command for it.

Just to clear something up, unlike your photo all rows will expand when you zoom in right? Guess it’s for demonstration purpose you show both unzoomed and zoomed…

Well, the image is supposed to show a zoomed-in version of a pattern that has two tempo multipliers
(it goes from speed06 at position 32 to speed03 at position 44).
What I probably should post as well is how it would look without the zooming. Again, triplet notes are located in track04. Ignore the rest, it isn’t consistent!

Unlike the zoomed-in view, they’re much harder to work with, since we are dealing with different speed factors…

again i really like danoise`s ideas,and im really excited to see what renoise brings in the future,i really really like it so far

good work to the team

I havent been using Renoise very long but one of the best features about Renoise is its speed. The way music is made using it encourages me to listen to my music rather than “what arrangement looks right”. Dont worry this isnt a no arranger post, Im all for it.

When I used sequencers I turned off the monitor screen to hear how it sounded. Alot of sequencers are very mouse oriented because of the arranger screen. Alot of the speed of Renoise (for me) comes with the fact I hardly need to touch the mouse. Its the main reason I thought long and hard about when weighing up buying a JJOS MPC1000 or Renoise.

If its possible use the keyboard to jam with patterns I don’t mind what the visual representation looks like. This how I’d love to work…

http://www.tweakheadz.com/sampling_software.html

If Renoise could compose the way the “3. Creative back and forth interplay between your sequencer and sampler.” describes it would be insanely fast and powerful.

…Goes back to read the manual :D

Does Renoise have input quantize like Live?

My top most ridonkulous ideas for comic relief:

1)Put the arranger strictly on an iPhone and let us slide the columns around with our toes. This would alienate all existing users and require both an iPhone and a wireless connection (including toes) :)

2)Make the arranger open up Dr. T’s Construction set through a vmware portal to an amiga emulator running off 100 chained scsi 1 zipdrives. This would successfully alienate all existing users and require both 100 zipdrives with cables and a registered copy of Dr. T’s from '91.

3)Build a glove with a network of highly sensitive “spider monkey” piezos (imported of course) that move the arranger in 2D, 3D and 4D. Yes, it is also a time machine (this would alienate all users prior to the invention of the glove as a time machine can only travel in time starting from date of its creation.)

4)Make the arranger respond to voice input (ie, shouting “Arranger HO!” would zoom out and “Arranger OH!” would zoom in). This would literally be a revolution in neolithic command barking concepts and bring about various altered states (whirling sensors can also be implemented.)

5)GPS Stone Tablets with chisels and fire torches - nuff said.

yeah, funny 8bit.

unfortunately not

Wow - the arranger idea is absolutely wicked… how likely is it to make it into V2.0??
Massive respect as always to the inspired development team at renoise :wink:

wow - sure I’ve posted here before but apparently not once in five years! Well hello anyway :wink: :rolleyes:

Renoise is setting the high standard for itself: ultra efficient workflow. The whole thing about a new arranger is all about a thing which is implemented even in ‘mammoth’ programs: reusable data. Using a clip instance (instead of cloning the same track many times when you don’t need to) and being able to store and reuse those little ‘building blocks’ of music is a reasonable thing to request from such a jewel of a software which does everything else on the par.

And it’s not only for ‘noobs’, mind you. :)

For all who’s still interested in discussing the vertical arranger idea, there are some new developments on the buzz front which are worth taking look at, in this regard.

It appears buzz (which is now being redeveloped by its original creator) has taken the first step towards vertical waveform display (courtesy of a certain fantastic machine developer). Now you can see how waves look like when placed in a tracker column!

I am doing that in my own tracker as well :)
As i see what has been changed in new 2.0 version i believe it will take probably a year to have arranger in Renoise ;) So in that time i will finish my own software and then will able only to blame myself if something is not implemented :)

aranger iz heandy for loop based music
for me danoise foto exemple wold be pain to arange
because all my tracks throo whole song are unique

so that tipe of aranger would be useless

All I want added to Renoise is a Sequence Editor like in Buzz. I would have thought this was fairly easy to do - all it is, is a representation of one track in a pattern.

(Oh, and also an arpeggiator like Orion’s - that would be great.)

:yeah:
hah! that looks sweet if you ask me. simple & straight to the point, and in true tracker spirit. I’d love this in renoise, for sure.

• seven billion! Cloning a pattern because you want to change something on a single track is the only thing that sometimes really annoys me… it’s not logical or musical.

and what is if you use many automations and trk commands?!
wouldnt it be also handy to have an overview or beeing able to switch to the right point instead of searching?

The arranger discussion, back with a vengeance!

Well, I feel that I’ve made most points I need to make with the “zoomable pattern editor” concept. Not because it makes the pattern editor zoomable, but because it introduces the more fundamental feature of reusable content, A.K.A. “clips”.

But no matter what, we still need to look at the “arranger” as a series of incremental, or complimentary, tasks.
For example, I would like say that the arranger deals with “clips”, but others might disagree and says it’s mostly suited for patterns. You could say that we need to find out what the arranger arranges :lol:

What’s wrong with this picture?

Another picture:

Summary:

• Renoise’s current pattern arranger, quite frankly, needs work
  • We don’t need to change how patterns work, we just need to be able to represent the same pattern in different ways -> via the arranger
  • I should be able to “arrange” an entire song using 1 pattern
  • The arranger should make things easier, not harder

Thanks for reading.

keyboard and mouse are horizontal.

Its a great idea to have a visible overview of all patterns in colored blocks, but what is the condition for an end of a block? Is it when there is no sound anymore, or when the last pattern ends…? Also it can take a long time that a sound is totally decayed.