Brainstorming

Huh? This function is in Renoise and is referred to as remote mapper.

I use it with a Midiman Radium and I can assign all 16 knobs
to the effects, VSTs (if the VST supports midi controller), etc.

If you click on the midi tab you have the option to send clock. Why
wouldnt this option work for you?

With the option to send midi messages with renoise you should be able to control -ANY- midi device. Whether it be a sampler, keyboard, etc. or an entire lighting rig.

Renoise does it all.

I continue to see requests that are already implemented in renoise.

If this would be implemented I think the plan is to make it optional, i.e. the current way of working could be used as well without messing around with an arranger. But I’m not 100% sure about this, at least it’s the plan for the piano roll. Maybe you’d better search some old threads to get a better answer on this… But I think many composers would say the same as you if arranging became more complicated.

Btw, nice to see a convert from the “dark side” :D :P

For instance, if you just want to play the pattern youve been working on.
First you have to open the sequence editor window… then locate and
place your new pattern in the sequence, then set up a loop start and
end point… then press play (unless i’m missing something).

You’re simply dead wrong, so don’t worry :)

The new system will not be an option that can be turned on or off, but it will be completely backwards compatible. The patterneditor will still show everything in one screen as before. In addition there will be an arranger view where you can move clips and trackcontents between all patterns and tracks in the song. I guess we can put some options in to make different working and arranging styles easier, but in general it should make renoise more efficient to work with, and not add additional work.

above post is mine… login problems with this invasion board… :(

For instance, if you just want to play the pattern youve been working on.
First you have to open the sequence editor window… then locate and
place your new pattern in the sequence, then set up a loop start and
end point… then press play (unless i’m missing something).

You’re simply dead wrong, so don’t worry

Really? i was talking about buzz here (incase it wasn’t clear)… anyway it did seem like i wasn’t using it properly. whatever, i didn’t like it.

I’m going to stick with renoise and see what the next version brings. There are a couple of interface problems for me (i keep accidentally overwriting samples and saving .rns and wav files in weird places because of the non-standard file browser system), but for me its the best windows tracker i’ve tried.

I’m glad to hear that all the changes to the pattern editor will be backwards-compatible.

I did this a lot when I started using Renoise (Noisetrekker at the time), but you actually learn to use this, imo rather awkward, file browser. A remake of it is planned for some point in the future anyway, so we’ll just have to stick with it until then.

Well, obviously it wasn’t clear for me :)

IMO not so strange since your post started with:
“my vote against an addittional pattern arranging ‘level’”

More/unlimited samples per instrument would be great, together with a ‘batch import’ function for loading and auto-mapping big drumkits/multisamples etc.

Yeah, multi-loading with auto-mapping. Also auto-mapping based on filenames (i.e. C#4, D5, etc) would help.

You’ll usually want the recording to be synced to the rest of the song, and doing that now requires rendering the song, importing the .wav’s in another program and recording there, then eventually exporting the recording, and importing it in Renoise to continue on the song… You might not need it, but those who do will save some serious time on such a feature. (anyway, this is not on the top of the list as of now)

Pras, the most common thing a person will do in Renoise is to plot ideas and see if they go well with what he/she already has. If that person happens to be proficient at an instrument (voice, drums, electric violin), he/she will sometimes have ideas that will stay with them for just as long as it takes to execute, and those ideas will differ from the ideas the person would have if he/she didn’t have access to his/her native instrument. Usually, for a person with average plot technique, it’s easier to hum, sing or play what you hear in your head and decipher it in the tracker, than to just plot it in. The more ellaborate it becomes, and the more it becomes just a flurries of notes, the more helpful it becomes to hum/* than to plot when it comes to creating a faithful rendition. Alot of professional musicians have lost alot of professional ideas by not recording their sessions, so it’s not just about being in time. When Renoise finally supports HD recording, I think most of the ones that left tracking for Logic, Performer, etc will have the needed incentive to return.

@ComsmiqFMC

I found a small VST,(when dusting off the old hard-drive… :-))
ChannelGrabber by TobyBear
I don’t know if it’ll help you but it just might… a bit…
It’s got three capturing modes… Vst, Live (soundcardfeed) and sync…
The only drawbacks I found, after fooling around with it for 15min,
was that it saves in WAV 16bit integer/PCM 16bit integer/WAV 32bit float/PCM32bit Float…
only two of these are, as of yet (taktik?), supported in ReNoise and it’s the PCM’s…
only the 16bit one produced good sound. (I don’t know if this got to do with ReNoise, ChGrabber or both…)
also, ChGrabber produced undesireable results when chained on the master-track
and when capturing high freqs it distorted them it seemed…

anyway, try it out…

I could really do with the option to have the left click of the mouse control the position of the edit cursor on the pattern editor. As in, be able to left-click a note and be magically centred there ready to change/delete it or whatever.

Also…

WINDOWS clipboard support (paste samples into RNS from other apps).

Ability to drag ‘Blocks’ around the pattern.

Nice. Cheers!

Like having the audio input recorded when bouncing in Logic?

That was me above - sorry about that; having some woes with the forum login…

Similar; in that you pick source tracks and then a destination instrument slot … so it’d sort of be, even, like ping-ponging on a fourtrack … but you’d be able to configure the length of the section you’re going to pull from; so you could get a “hard stop” and not have to manually flap the space bar or what-have-you if you only wanted to capture a pattern’s worth of audio.

assuming you’re using IE, go to tools > internet options > security > trusted sites, and add www.dachiphop.com and www.renoise.com to the list. then the forums should remember you :)

much obliged! :) won’t be seeing that problem again.

Hello guys,

Loving Renoise so far, and the to-do list looks promising. Got a few things I’d like to see.

• First off, a feature that would revolutionize the way we track. It has been suggested before in another thread, but it died an unfairly quick death. A ‘Freeze’ or ‘Lock’ function that would pre-calculate and, yes, lock a track’s effects. You have most likely seen a similar feature in Cool Edit Pro 2, and it works a treat. This would free up a huge amount of cpu out there and would be, if codable, THE Messiah. Pysj mentioned this to me, and I immediately thought, seeing as he’s gotten the impression from taktik that this is totally possible, this should be a priority!

• Shortcuts for ‘everything’. For example, in the sample editor, zoom in/out, view all, go to end/start. Open current vsti etc.

• Generate silence in the sample editor. This is much needed since there’s ‘process track fx’ available. I.e. on short stabs with long reverbtails (the tail gets cut at the end). Or perhaps the sample could automatically be expanded on such instances.

• A bold and experimental suggestion that most likely is impossible; Realtime automation by i.e. rightclicking on the knobs/sliders in the vsti interface (in stead of browsing through hundreds of knobs/sliders in a *vstidevice with unappropriate names, or even no names at all). I don’t know if this is technically possible, but would cut another corner.

• Larger field for slider-names, or a dropdown box that contains all the automatable sliders in the vsti in question.

• Windows clipboard.

I’m in tracker heaven. Much respect to the coders who bust their rosy, rear cheeks to bring us this amazing kit.

-Enigmatic

I too have a hope for longer field length, or especially a dropdown name list, of the VSTi parameters. A lot of guesswork is involved for me in trying to figure out which parameter I’m after!

I just realized something. A dropdown box would practically eliminate both those problems.

edit by It-Alien:
removed guest post and assigned to the actual author