Built up some 8 bar loops to develop..where do you folks go next?

I went through the 48 minute tutorial and built the song just like in the video. There were some cool quick arrangement concepts that I am still wrapping my head around.

Was wondering how the more experienced users progress. Not in terms of basic music arrangement, as I get that stuff, I mean renoise specific. Im pretty sure when I add more tracks and copy a drum pattern to a new one, it does not copy the automation. At least that is what I am hoping.

Basically the way I see it is I could copy a chord progression into different patterns and manipulate the filters differently in each pattern. Is this correct?

I am building progressive house songs right now. Any workflow tips are welcome. This program is a joy to use and is so powerful that I feel like I am not utilizing it as well as I could.

Also had a few questions:

What is the best way to delete a line of code? If I just delete a note, the velocity info and other things are still there. Obviously I can just click on everything and delete, but is there anything faster? I ctrl-z a lot, but lots of things I like to change after the fact.

Say I make a track and decide I want a different kick. I notice when I change samples, that even though the notes are still there, the new sample does not trigger. What is the easiest way to swap out samples?

Also any go to effect column commands I should try when I start arranging buildups would be welcome. I have yet to mess with those colums much at all and I need to dive in soon.

To copy automation, check the box in the content mask of the Advanced edit bar (upper right corner of the pattern editor.)

http://tutorials.ren…it#Content_Mask

backspace to erase the complete row in that track.
ctrl/cmd+shift del to erase the complete note in the current note-column.
To erase a complete row in the whole pattern, the shortcut i believe to be alt-del, but if it does something else, hit ctrl/cmd comma , go to the keys and paste this keyphrase in the “search” box:
delete current row in pattern
Then assign your own shortcut to it.

http://tutorials.ren…Sample_Keyzones

http://tutorials.ren…Effect_Commands

Thank you!!! I have trouble focusing on the next thing to do sometimes so I apologize for the stupid questions.

Reading about this :http://tutorials.ren…Sample_Keyzones

Am I doing it wrong by having a kick on it’s own sampler? I was using track 00 for the kick and then using another sampler for a snare…another for a percussion loop…etc.

I don’t think there is a, “right/wrong,” on this one. Its really, “whatever you are comfortable with…” I do a combination of both; but more often than not, I am just making new instruments… I usually have reasons for why I do things one way, or another…

For eg… Kick and Snr in my tracks usually get there own slots… That’s because my kicks usually start out on a synth, and get rendered to instrument, and my snares are usually several layered samples… For cymbals… I usually put them all on the same instrument. Right now guitar parts are going to their own instruments… and I usually have an array of automatically named instruments from loads of sampling there…

Everybody is going to be different…

Plenty of people, I am sure… Have all drums on one instrument, all perc on another, all bass on another… taking up only 3 instruments with all their rhythm section, and possibly using 2 or 3 more instruments for various other elements…

Ok cool, thats what I figured. If I have a kick on it’s own slot and I want to change the sample out, what is the best way? I read the manual and im still a little shakey on this. Now and then during a tune I realize that my kick sample is not the one I want and I like to be able to quickly switch it out and experiment with options. do I have to assign it to a key or region in the sampler?

Also, coming from sunvox if you change the lines per beat, the whole tune would go out of whack.Is that the case in renoise? What I want to be able to do is standard transitions where I build a kick to play faster and faster until it peaks at a super fast speed. Typical dance build stuff that I need to master in renoise.to add to that, i’d love to know any fine tuning tips. What I mean by that is my kicks are usually one handcrafted sample which I find eliminates phasing issues. Due to this, they hit hard in the lows. When I speed them up for tranistions, I want to cut some of those lows out. In cubase, I’d automate a HP filter. I can do that in renoise, but this program is so powerful I figured I’d ask if there are other similar tricks to do on these types of build ups.

Switching samples is very simple: Load a sample into an instrument slot. Select the instrument/sample, and click in your browser whatever you want to switch it to… Give it a shot, you will see in two seconds…

Alternatively, because Renoise Instruments are not locked into tracks, unless you want them to be, you can just load a brand new kick, in a new instrument, and enter it anywhere in your pattern editor, along the track you are using for kicks…

There’s also the, “Convert notes in track…” there’s several ways to get the same result…

I haven’t changed LPB mid song yet…

About dance build ups… 1 idea could be to load your entire drum roll as a long sample into an instrument slot, then use the filters on the instrument… I do this a lot, and I need to do it more… You know? Programming your loop, rendering your loop, and having it as a sample, rather than just the pattern notes… Its a whole other way of Renoise madness!!

Any limits here, are the types of limits we as human beings create for ourselves because more often then not, we fail to transcend to a higher state of consciousness.

What I did was program a kick pattern…had the kick sample going…etc. I switched the sample out like you said and for some reason the notes did not trigger the new sample. I must have screwed something up…maybe clicked on a different track or something. Ill mess with it more tonight. I try and spend 3-4 hours a day working in renoise, and it’s just such a deep program that I am sometimes overwhelmed by what I can do.

Totally awesome idea to render the loop as a sample. Thats the way I will do it. Makes complete sense and then I can easily manipulate from there.