Can not save in Renoise directory?

Since the last update to 3.1.1 (or maybe it’s not related to the update) I get the following message when saving a song or an instrument, etc. into the user library folder:

Cannot save into directory ‘/home/fox/Renoise/User Library/Samples/Basics/’.

This directory will be overwritten by Renoise when installing new versions.

Please choose a different directory, then save the file again.

I this normal? It’s a bit strange that it’s not allowed to save something (instruments, tools, etc.) into the user library :w00t:

renoise.png

Found this:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/best-folder-to-save-instruments/45543

Seems to be normal. Strange …

~~It’s “normal” because the default library is basically treated like read-only content belonging to the application bundle itself, and just like most applications this content is subject to change with new versions, may be removed entirely when upgrading or uninstalling, etc.

You therefore should not rely on it as a place to store your personal files.

I would not save my personal songs in Renoise’s application folder, any more than I would save my personal documents in Libre Office’s application folder.

It seems a bit weird in this instance because Renoise on Linux is also typically installed in your personal user home folder, but yeah… it’s generally assumed that you’ll keep your songs/samples/etc in another location outside of Renoise’s folder.~~

Edit: Sorry, ignore my rambling here, I was not fully awake at the time. What I said above is still true, but I obviously completely missed that it was your User Library and not Renoise’s own bundled content library. Probably because I read the other discussion you linked to and got side-tracked. Derp.

It’s “normal” because the default library is basically treated like read-only content belonging to the application bundle itself

You’re right of course. But it seems a bit weird then that the path includes “User Library”.

@lilith: did you click the “floppy” icon next to the instrument preset dropdown (topmost menu in the sampler tab) ?

Alternatively, if you prefer to use the file-browser you can - while being in the “instrument” tab - click the icon that look like a profile of a head. This should also take you straight to “User Library/Instruments”.

You’re right of course. But it seems a bit weird then that the path includes “User Library”.

Duh… Thanks, mate, haha. Early morning brain fart :stuck_out_tongue:

Blame it on the lack of coffee. Or maybe, eh … whatever :slight_smile:

hm… obviously something is wrong here. I used the User Library before and had no problems. But i’m not sure if I really installed Renoise or just opened the renoise file without installing it.

My Renoise folder looks like:

renoise1.png

When trying to save anything into /Renoise/User Library I get the error message.

@lilith: did you click the “floppy” icon next to the instrument preset dropdown (topmost menu in the sampler tab) ?

Alternatively, if you prefer to use the file-browser you can - while being in the “instrument” tab - click the icon that look like a profile of a head. This should also take you straight to “User Library/Instruments”.

Yes, both brings me to /Renoise/User Library. Saving doesn’t work. How can I deinstall everything Renoise related and start from scratch?

In the .renoise folder I still have the old version 3.1.0 How can I get rid of all that stuff? And what is this folder good for?

fox@fox-MS-7817:~$ cd .renoise
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/.renoise$ ll
insgesamt 16
drwx------ 4 fox fox 4096 Jan 24 22:12 ./
drwx------ 76 fox fox 4096 Jan 29 21:44 ../
drwx------ 5 fox fox 4096 Jan 24 22:22 V3.1.0/
drwxr-xr-x 4 fox fox 4096 Jan 29 22:11 V3.1.1/
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/.renoise$ cd V3.1.
bash: cd: V3.1.: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/.renoise$ cd V3.1.0/
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/.renoise/V3.1.0$ ll
insgesamt 5036
drwx------ 5 fox fox 4096 Jan 24 22:22 ./
drwx------ 4 fox fox 4096 Jan 24 22:12 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 25600 Jan 24 22:22 CachedDSSIs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 24576 Mai 8 2016 CachedDSSIs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 3072 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedDSSIs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 3072 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedDSSIs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 7168 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedLADSPAs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 7168 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedLADSPAs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 3072 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedVSTs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 3072 Mai 8 2016 CachedFailedVSTs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 250880 Jan 24 22:22 CachedLADSPAs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 267264 Mai 8 2016 CachedLADSPAs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 93184 Jan 24 22:22 CachedVSTs_x64.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 50176 Mai 8 2016 CachedVSTs_x86.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 56135 Jan 24 22:22 Config.xml
drwx------ 2 fox fox 4096 Apr 26 2017 CrashBackups/
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 168660 Jan 24 22:22 KeyBindings.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 9415 Mai 8 2016 KeyBindings.xslt
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 4131102 Jan 24 22:25 Log.txt
drwx------ 3 fox fox 4096 Mai 8 2016 Scripts/
drwxr-xr-x 2 fox fox 4096 Dez 30 18:16 Themes/
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/.renoise/V3.1.0$

Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update

When I start Renoise from the terminal I’m able to save into the User Library and I can also save into the Resources directory. :huh:

When I start renoise from the /usr/bin path (via the terminal or the file manager) it also works.

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 28 22:09 ./
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Aug 27 22:02 ../
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Apr 27 2017 Ardour5 -> /opt/Ardour-5.8.0/bin/ardour5*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Jan 28 22:09 renoise -> /usr/local/bin/renoise-3.1.1*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26470176 Jan 28 22:09 renoise-3.1.1*
fox@fox-MS-7817:/usr/local/bin$

So, somehow there 's a difference between:

/home/fox/Renoise/renoise (saving not possible)

and

/usr/local/bin/renoise (saving possible)

fox@fox-MS-7817:/$ cd /home/fox/Renoise/
fox@fox-MS-7817:~/Renoise$ ll
insgesamt 27116
drwxr-xr-x 6 fox fox 4096 Jan 28 23:28 ./
drwx------ 76 fox fox 4096 Jan 29 22:19 ../
drwxr-xr-x 2 fox fox 4096 Jan 28 23:31 Installed Libraries/
drwxr-xr-x 3 fox fox 4096 Jan 28 21:57 Installer/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 fox fox 7435 Jan 31 2017 install.sh*
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 14390 Jan 31 2017 License.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 1111089 Jan 31 2017 Quickstart-Tutorial.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 120196 Jan 31 2017 Readme.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 fox fox 26470176 Jan 28 21:55 renoise*
-rw-r--r-- 1 fox fox 167 Jan 31 2017 Renoise Linux FAQ.desktop
drwxr-xr-x 8 fox fox 4096 Jan 29 22:34 Resources/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 fox fox 51 Jan 31 2017 uninstall.sh*
drwxr-xr-x 10 fox fox 4096 Jan 28 22:27 User Library/

Out on a limb lilith, but one of the factors that could be confusing is to do with links…

Your Renoise binary executable is sitting in ’ /home/fox/Renoise’. You run Renoise from the command line there (with the command ‘./renoise’). Chances are Renoise logs ‘/home/fox/Renoise/’ as its base path. If you try and save things in ’ /home/fox/Renoise /User Library’ or ’ /home/fox/Renoise/ Resources’, you’ll probably get that error message because the first part of the base path matches the first part of the destination file path/name. Renoise then says ‘Ah! You are trying to save into my User Library or Resources directory where my executable sits! Gotcha!’

Now by the looks of it if you just open a command line terminal and type ‘renoise’ it will pick up the binary executable from ’ /usr/local/bin/’. Probably the base path is now ’ /usr/local/bin/’ so now saving to ’ /home/fox/Renoise/ User Library(or Resources)’ would be possible.

Just as a note it probably isn’t completely foolproof. You probably can save things in those directories if you go via another link to the Renoise installation directory when saving. So if you had a link pointing to directory ’ /home/fox/Renoise’ called ‘/home/fox/ MyApps/Renoise/’ and saved a file called ’ /home/fox/MyApps/Renoise/User Library/myinstrument.xrni’ then that would probably circumvent the check.

Out on a limb lilith, but one of the factors that could be confusing is to do with links…

Your Renoise binary executable is sitting in ’ /home/fox/Renoise’. You run Renoise from the command line there (with the command ‘./renoise’). Chances are Renoise logs ‘/home/fox/Renoise/’ as its base path. If you try and save things in ’ /home/fox/Renoise /User Library’ or ’ /home/fox/Renoise/ Resources’, you’ll probably get that error message because the first part of the base path matches the first part of the destination file path/name. Renoise then says ‘Ah! You are trying to save into my User Library or Resources directory where my executable sits! Gotcha!’

Now by the looks of it if you just open a command line terminal and type ‘renoise’ it will pick up the binary executable from ’ /usr/local/bin/‘. Probably the base path is now ’ /usr/local/bin/’ so now saving to ’ /home/fox/Renoise/ User Library(or Resources)’ would be possible.

Just as a note it probably isn’t completely foolproof. You probably can save things in those directories if you go via another link to the Renoise installation directory when saving. So if you had a link pointing to directory ’ /home/fox/Renoise’ called ‘/home/fox/ MyApps/Renoise/’ and saved a file called ’ /home/fox/MyApps/Renoise/User Library/myinstrument.xrni’ then that would probably circumvent the check.

Yup, it seems to be exactly like you say. But I didn´t observe that behavior before. Maybe someone from the developers can clarify what (i.e. which paths) exactly Renoise is checking. Anyway I think it´s the best to keep all user files outside of the /Renoise directory. On the other hand xml files are installed into the User Library by default. This would mean that I have to copy them somewhere else after dragging and dropping them onto the GUI,

I think you messed big time by extracting the tarball or installing into ~/Renoise …you should have chosen another directory…on my pc the renoise files sit elsewhere (not installed) and renoise will create that directory specifically for user data, Oops you also got your installation there, bad karma…

I think you messed big time by extracting the tarball or installing into ~/Renoise …you should have chosen another directory…on my pc the renoise files sit elsewhere (not installed) and renoise will create that directory specifically for user data, Oops you also got your installation there, bad karma…

That´s likely the case :smashed: How can I deinstall Renoise again then ? Maybe I just should extract the tarball and be fine with that without installation. I think so I did it before. Is there any advantage of doing the installation?

Reason for the strange behavior was cause I extracted the tarball in a folder called renoise. When extracting from /home I get a renoise directory called /home/fox/rns_3_1_1_linux_x86_64 and a separate /home/renoise/User Library folder which only contains the User files.