Can Renoise Be Compiled For 64-bit

I was wondering if the dev team is able to compile the windows version of renoise for 64-bit cpu’s.

I’m just curious.

Actually, it’s the vst/vsti’s I want for 64-bit, but anyhow.

He is talkning about 64bits CPU’s. Not 64-bit sound. ;)
64bit CPU = faster → you can use more instances etc.

can renoise be compled on 64 bit machines ? probably yes, right now no of the devs has a 64 bit machine, besides we would also need a 64bit licence of msdev studio + xp64bit (which isnt final yet afaik)

64 bit vst / vsti ? we have no influence on this. those plugins need to be recompiled by the authors, not us.

would it be possible to mix 32bit/64bit plugins / renoise executable ? no idea.

too many variables if you ask me. as soon someone of the dev-team gets himself a 64bit machine there will be more news about this issue, right now we simply dont know :)

64 bits CPU main advantage is to allow you to address more than 4 Gb memory. Also, as you have more registers, you can optimise your code (or rather, let the compiler do it, unless you code in assembly).

I don’t know what fantasy world you guys are living in, but just because 64-bit allows certain things doesn’t mean that Renoise can.

This would require a lot more coding, testing, and time.

A recompile would probably not cut it.

All that power and precision is theoretical, CD players are still 16-bit, i doubt this is a priority.

If I’m not totaly wrong Renoise is written in the high level language C++ and that shall mean that if it is well written and handle integer- and pointer-data types in a good manner then there will probably not be nessecary to do any chnages at all. It is up to the compiler to do the job. On Pulsars answere it more sounds like the problem in this case is the money it will cost to invest in a 64-bit computer, with a 64-bit OS and and a 64bit compiler, rather than the time it will take to compile the 64-bit version … but I’m maybe wrong…

Theoretical? So just because a CD-player is in 16bit we do not need any computers with a better processor than that??? Do you also think that the different between a 16Bit 10MHz Intel 8086 and a 3300Mhz 32Bit Pentium4 is just theoretical aswell? ;) j/k…

With larger registers the CPU will not just be able to process data more efficiently but also move more information per clock cycle, wich leads to faster execution. This means that a 64bit CPU can handle large operations as audio and video processing faster and more efficiently than a 32bit CPU. This doesn’t necessary mean that you will hear much difference in the output sound, but you will perhaps for example be able to handle more softsynts and effects at the same time cause the calculations will be made faster. So the biggest advantage will not be better sound quality, but higher performance… But I’m no expert on this subject so I can not tell how big the difference will be…

Btw, I’m not planning to buy a 64bit computer myself in a very near future, so I personaly do not care much… But it can maybe atleast be a good idea to think about it cause 64bit computing will perhaps be the next big thing on the home computer market within a year or so ;)

I can’t believe I was using FT2 on a K6-3 733 until 2 years ago ;)

my next upgrade will be to a 64-bit system. and it will definitely happen in the next six months. i’m interested in 64-bit renoise.

Let me explain the reason I ask.

I’m about to upgrade/do some changes to my computer. And I was curious about the 64-bit technology. Not for the sound quality, for the processing power.

The system will run both WinXP and Linux

My system is today AXP3200, 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9600.

I would like to know (from someone who knows), if there is a big difference between AMD’s XP3200+ CPU and iNTEL’s P4 3,2GHz CPU in performance using various VST and VSTi.

Otherwise I will go for the Athlon 64 3400 and 2GB of RAM.

Should I replace the graphics card? Do I need more (2GB maybe) RAM?

I experience lock-ups and instability on heavy load in renoise with todays system. So I want to switch to another system entirely. I just don’t know what to buy.

All in all, I’m very happy with AMD XP, and have been trough all XP CPU’s from 2000 - 3200, and now it stops :)

Well, as far as I know SSE (former MMX) does already support 64bit calculations, if I remember correctly it can calculate two 64bit floating point numbers in parallel or four 32bit floats, also it have eight 128bit floating point registers. So don’t invest in somthing you probably already have :) I believe AMD has somthing similar.
But of course you never get enought bits:)

8 bit commodore 64 :yeah:
Sorry for spam, i just love the number of the beast :D

Nice to see you posting Simon ;)

True, but you are talking about the special purpose registres (SIMD, MMX, floating point etc.) that are only used for special instructions, and has to be exclusivly compiled for thouse. In 32-bit CPU’s there are still no general purpose registers bigger than 32 bits. But a 64bit CPU occupies more adressing space wich can eventually even makes it slower than a 32bit CPU, so maybe you are right when you say that one shall not invest in somthing that one probably already have ;) Buy and try :D
Btw, old AMD’s have 3DNow! that is not compatible with SSE/SSE2. But the new 64-bit CPU’s Opteron and Athlon shall, as I understand it, have support for Intels SSE2 instructions plus an extended range of instructions… Maybe one reason to invest in a Athlon64 after all ;)

Upgrading your graphics card wouldn’t increase the performance if you’re sticking with audio applications.

I’m not sure how much and if with all applications, but I read that there’s a performance boost when using the 64bit cpu with 32bit apps.

I guess you’d have to google a bit or nose around a bit on sites like Tom’s Hardware to be sure. There’s bound to be some tests where they compare various cpu’s.

True to integer calculations, but the floating point unit (not special purpose registers) have 80 bits registers for both AMD and Intel processors. This will not change in a near feature, even if the arithmetic logical unit changes to 64bit. As far as vst and vsti goes most of them will probably only benefit from faster clockspeeds and parallel execution.

It would be nice if you (twilek) bougt a AMD64 so I can come over and tryit out ;)

what if they already heave such?

Yes, what if? B)

well, I guess all people around here that even consider to buy a 64bit CPU already have an ASIO card…