Change Pattern Length

I’ve added this feature as part of my update to the AlphaTrack intergration tool, but I think it would be useful to make it native.

Current behaviour is that when changing the pattern length, left mouse button changes by one, while right mouse button changes by 10 (same as all other controls of this type).

Suggested addition to this is if a modifier is held (Ctrl/Alt/etc.) then left mouse button would change the pattern length to an even multiple of LPB (effectively beats).

For example, if LPB is 4 and the pattern length was 16, changing with the modifier would set the new length to 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 etc.

If the original length was not an even number of LPB, round this with the first change (i.e. LPB=4 and pattern length = 14 would result in a value of either 12 or 16 depending on the direction of the mouse).

Hope this is clear.

NB: I may release a tool that adds keybinding for this purpose, but will cannot integrate the mouse behaviour.

+1

small, but useful idea. +1

yes, this makes sense! (:

Sounds familiar?

Have you seen: New Tool (2.8, 3.0): Flexible Pattern Resizer

Similar, but I think this is different (at least to what I was originally thinking of). My case was more like I’ve been working on this 4 beat pattern but I really need to add another two beats for the fill etc.

I’ve attached a tool to this post to implement this feature.

It will add two new keybindings (Pattern Editor → Insert/Delete → [Increase pattern length (1 beat) / Decrease pattern length (1 beat)]. These are also midi mappable if you wish to control it with a couple of buttons on a controller.

The new pattern length will be reported to the user after modification in the status bar at the bottom of the Renoise window.