Changes in licensing scheme (good ones)

Okay that’s clear, thanks!, seems like I will have to be patient then untill the stable 1.5 release!

NWM

I would, I’m from Holland ;)

But seriously, I haven’t tracked since I used Scream Tracker 3 and later on Impulse Tracker 2.14. And that’s already like 5 years ago. I would survive waiting till september ;)

You can always try to use Impulse Tracker in the DOSbox tool (and i mean a DOS emulator for Win NT 5.x :P) http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Once you tried 1.5, you get addicted to certain easy functions.

Try going back using 1.281 right now and you will probably shouting at the sequence editor being too simplistic and too much hassle manually increasing patternnumbers. While in 1.5 you can just add a bunch of sequences and make them all unique in an instance.

You will be shouting at yourself for not being able to drag a base-track to the most left-side of the pattern since you want it to be next to the percussion track which is currently the first track in the pattern.
You will be shouting because you have to copy all tracks left of the base-track to a new track in every pattern, just to be able to insert the base-track into track 00 and shift the rest to the right.
In 1.281, no one would bother, but once you have used this feature, you’ll miss it.

You will be shouting that you can’t change sample properties (changing from stereo to mono and from 44Khz to 22Khz, to save space, etc.).

You will have problems because the continueing pattern-edit mode through the pattern-sequences are not working.

You will be shouting at the fact that you have to move your DSP / VST effect left or right, one click at a time, while in 1.5, you can instantly drag it to the spot of order you want it to have.

You will miss the metronome feature.

You will miss the DSP copy, paste and init option, hell, you will be furious that you can’t save your current DSP chain since yeah, 1.281 doesn’t support DSP / VST chain saving.

You will be pissed that you can only use one MIDI-in device in 1.281 while 1.5 supports two devices.

When rightclicking anywhere, you do get a blue middle-finger, but no contextmenu at all.
Render selection to sample? how? where? not in 1.281.
Render selected pattern-sequence to WAV? not in 1.281

Higher envelope node-value precision? not in 1.281

Double-click in values to manually change them into the right figure without click-drag or clicking the arrow buttons fifty times? not in 1.281

Tooltips with handy short-cut information? Huh? Where? not in1.281

Having the pattern-editor full-screen by bouncing the upper and lower control racks off-screen… well not in 1.281…

I can go on for a while, but there are many nifty features that motivate to track a lot more relaxed than you can accomplish with 1.281.

What one does not know, one shall not miss, i’ll grant Renoise-beginners that, but that’s all i grant Renoise-beginners.

I so know you are right. I can see so many differences when I look at the screenshots of the 1.5 version. The 1.2 version doesn’t have the ‘feel’ I want, but it’s there in 1.5… Too bad I am not able to try it out until the beta arrives.

The pattern selection looks so improved!! …
I hope there will be a IT 2.14 or Scream tracker 3 keymap… Or maybe there already is?

NWM

I couldn’t wait any longer and just purchased this beautiful program… :yeah:

Me too!! :D

so much text, can’t read all replies and discussions, sry.
my short quest: i’ve registered 1.281, am i now an 1.1x user, so i will have updates up to 2.1? or may i get further releases? oO
rrrrenoise

rrr(…)renoise:
you are a 1.2x user, so you will be able to download updates until 2.1x

after that, you will have to pay again

SORRY THIS IS NOT TRUE! Look two posts below.

ok, I’ve asked to pulsar and got this reply, which is better than Bantai expected:

“regging 1.281 would mean regging 1.2x, so updates available till
2.2x”

hmm i think the 45 is an unbelievable price for what i (and you) got for it …
i see no need to even bother reacting to whatever the team decides to do with the licensing scheme… frankly , i think renoise is the best deal i ever made so (and ok i know for some people 45 bucks is a lot of money) if the price would be tripled it would still be the best deal ever… …

sry no quotes, but worrieing (is that a good english word?) over the license beeing valid to 2.1 or 2.5 or whatever, hmmzzzz… i dont think so…

i don’t want to offend anybody, but just pay and be grateful there are people working hard to create software like this for not even half a hundred bucks per license…

i support whatever the developers decide, (but don’t go crazy on me now… like actually tripling the price… ) :)

anyway for the licensing scheme changes…

This thread is almost a year old ;)

If you go by first post it’s actually almost 3 years old :o

Reanimation never hurt anyone… :)

First I thought, that I’ll never get 1.6 ;)

and here we are with 1.8 :)

I wondered if there will be some kind of warning that your license is going to expire.
Or do you have to lookout for yourself.

I don’t think anyone has experience with this since we are not post 2.X

the account details in the backstage area tell you the validity range of your license, so I think you will receive such kind of warnings on the site, not by the application, because Renoise.exe does not know if a new version has been released

Yeah, I am totally cool with paying the full price again, but a discount would be lovely… I think if this scheme was included, it would tempt even more people to cough up and pay for a license.

License upgrade for already registered users is a cool idea, +1!

Just aslong as you leave the option to pay full price even tho you have a previous licence, i find Renoise to be cheap already.