Commercial Music And Artistic Integrity

Not being a total asshat about it, for starters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvY3wZrHrQ Admittedly, bashing Timabaland is lame cuz it’s too easy, but other than that… pleeeeeeeeeze…

Hmm, then again: what does artistic integrity have to do with originality or character? If you do it for the art, because you love to do it, no matter how simple or complex it is, or to make people happy/sad/thoughtful/whatever, you have artistic integrity, if you do it for money or popularity only you don’t I guess… therefore you can have artistic integrity while being an ass about it, contrary to what I just said heh :D

@BYTE-Smasher: you’re right, lot’s of music on my hometown. I’m proud to say that I’m an active part of it

@all: I came to think of this guy I met while on holiday. He approached me on Oxford Street in London, with a CD he wanted to sell. I listened to a couple of songs (nicely chilled drum’n’bass) and bought the CD. It turned out he was travelling around Europe, financing the voyage by selling copies of his CD. In two years time, he had sold roughly 10.000 copies, and met every single one of his customers in person.

Later, I saw him in Copenhagen, and one of my friends got the CD from him in Amsterdam.

Such a debate can turn up pretty endless if you globalise personal profiles because this differs from artist to artist.

There are skilled artists that grown to a commercial profile and lost their touch, but there are also artists that grown commercial and are doing a great job.
Aside from that, tastes and perceptions of this world in the audience differ from person to person.

One thing i can tell is that displayed attitude does it all for the artist’s personal profile and then it remains all a matter of taste.

With “displayed” i mean behavior and expressions that end up in the (big) media which sets the biggest trigger for movement of personal emotion of the individual audience (because media just does reaches a larger audience at once).
I find such discussion difficult because we as outside mostly know nothing about the specific artist(s) that we debate about and they are the only ones that can show us their profile if we would actually give them time to answer most of the desired asked questions.

That’s very cool… talk about ingenuity :P

pretty bold statement.

rather curious of your definition of ‘more original’.

http://www.answers.com/original&r=67
version:

adj.  

1. Preceding all others in time; first.  
 1. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.  
 2. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See synonyms at new.  
 3. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.  
 4. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.  

n.  

1. A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of the car retained many features of the original.  
 1. An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.  
 2. Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a photocopy to his publisher.  
 3. A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.  
 4. Archaic. The source from which something arises; an originator.  

1 thing no one can prove wrong:
originality being relative to localized perspective.
in this post modernist era of sampling ethic, originality truly ceases to exist.

Well yes, considering that Timbaland uses sampled loops in all of his tracks, one could definitely say that he doesn’t have a single song that would qualify as original.

i guess the only other idea of original is in hindsight, in that people may be copying him now. which is more akin to looking through a 2 way mirror the wrong side

Farmers of the past were peasants.
Farmers of further back were serfs.
Go further, and somewhere in between, slaves.
Today’s farms are run by machines.
Yes I’m generalizing.
Commercial success assumes some sort of commerce.
Like farmers, famous western musicians of the past were the tenants of feudal barons and lords.
What does this mean?
Music as “commerce” is about 200 years old.
It’s asinine to assume this is permanent,
Mankind can do better than “commercial.”

slightly offtopic
do you guys feel like the simpler your songs are, the easier it is for people to like them?
i write rock and i write electronic. rock songs I write are out of my ass riffs on top of riffs, while the electronic stuff takes me lots of thought and effort.
all my friends prefer me much more as a rocker but it seems so mindless and generic.
:unsure:

See? This is exactly what I was pointing out in my first post. Always the usual shitty arguments.

Common, 90% of the song we get around here are endless amen with some sampled bass or anything. Can we qualify that as original? Can we label every poor attempt to copy vsnare’s breakcore we get in the tracker scene as “original”?

Timbaland got caught where everyone didn’t, because today everyone samples everyone, and yes, he definitely has a point in this interview. None of you whine when AFX sample Eric Satie or else, it’s even original, but when it’s Timbaland, it’s automaticly unoriginal. Slicing amen break and rearranging it in 7/8 patterns is more original than sampling some chiptune artist too. Here goes the usual double standard.

Edit:I’m mean .

generally not all, but most times when someone is having an issue.
it’s not the issue at all, Lunat.

you being drawn to these types of discussions might tell you a little more about yourself.

use of vulgarities such as your lexicon shows is deterimental toward your well being & this community.

getting upset over meaningless dribble is your issue. not ours.

i would say i didn’t mean to set you out, but i did.
think positive brother, no sense wasting mind time.

Originality is a dumb term. Try for “soul” and “passion”. A few of have had our moments. You know who. If you don’t you’re not properly involved.

i think i love you, Lunat!!!
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

i for one, prefer amen based music.

I think the rant is more describing the common disappointment feeling where respected artists who rip but then lack the decency to properly credit the source, which imho is a justified remark.
I personally don’t mind any great producer would rip me, as long as he/she won’t rip me off but simply takes care to properly credit me on the label.
It does not provide me with financial support, but it is the best free advertisement some unknown ripped artist can get if he/she is not famous.
A producer / artist earns full respect if he/she shows respect to both audience and collegues in the field and not just one of both, whether he/she produces original stuff or not.

LOL that nearly made me ruin my keyboard :lol:

http://shareaza.chipin.com/

Well, I was just using the book definition of original in comparison to Timbaland’s methods. I’m of the personal belief that originality in music doesn’t exist. However, in regards to Timbaland’s music, he does have a tendency to sample large chunks of songs and play them as they are, simply layering a drum machine beat on them. In regards to creativity and ingenuity, this method doesn’t score very well. It scores high in other areas: groove, danceability, etc… which is why it sells. The issue a lot of artists have with Timbaland is that he makes millions with what is basically the least challenging, and least moral method of making music… and those in the indy community who sample artists invariably end up getting hit with lawsuits from the very same organizations that support his music, sparing no resource attempting to get every dollar they can from us for “ripping off” the same shit they ripped off from someone else. This kind of amorality and hypocracy is what gets to most people. Why should they be able to get away with both ripping people’s work off, and punishing those same people for ripping them off? Because they have the money, they have the industry under their thumbs, and they have high powered lawyers that can get them whatever the hell they want. The fact is, Timbaland is great at finding groovy samples, and choosing somewhat talented and good looking vocalists to work with, but in reality, there are very few people in this community who would not be able to do his job, if you gave them enough resources, enough legal protection, enough “street cred”, and removed their morality entirely.

And I must argue that chopping the hell out of samples and rearranging them in an odd time signature is much more creative than simply playing said sample alongside another one. Sorry Lunat, but you will never convince me that Timbaland is an amazingly skilled producer, or that anyone here has morality as tainted as his. It’s just not the case.

Get Your Freak On, Missy Elliott and Timbaland…?
Probably one of the most remixed tracks in alternative
dance music… not to mention that 90% of the beatwork
in such ‘genres’ are stolen samples. I don’t care WHAT you
do with a sample, it’s still stealing and if you steal YOU SURE
AS HELL DONT GO AROUND AND TELL OTHERS TO NOT STEAL.

Timbaland is an amazingly skilled producer. If you don’t hear that,
I’m really really really really sorry, but you’re either just not LIKING it,
or you’re listening with your arsehole.

i like some of timbalands stuff, some stuff he did with Timberlake, :P
some stuff he did with um, Beyonce… :D
some of JayZ’s stuff is good. that’s all i can think of.

and i love heavy amens.

if timbaland made a heavy edit amen tune it would be called:

THE MOST ORIGINAL TUNE EVER!!!