Comparison To Skale-tracker ?

I have some friends who would like to see an option of making Renoise work in 800x600. Here in Poland many people have really old monitors.

Personally I think that Renoise is far, FAR, FAAAAR better than Sk@le. I use Linux, but I wouldn’t change into Sk@le. This program lacks very many features very important for me. I don’t think I could live without multiple effect columns, and note columns, full VST and VSTi support, I also like effects on channels rather than on instruments, because I often use the same set of effects for various instruments. Only thing I would like to see in Renoise, which is in Sk@le is a possibility of controlling cutoff of an instruments on fly with some e.g. note effect and/or automation maybe. A mixer would also come in handy. But in Renoise we can hope that our wonderful developers will add those features some day, we can even hope it will be quite soon. Sk@le developes veeery slow.

As long as it also support higher resolutions it is fine for me ;) But I guess it is quiet hard to make modern advanced gui’s that is compatible with 800x600 resolution.

hmm. Do you mean the filter cut-off.? As far as I know renoise already supports both ways if you add a filter-dsp to the channel, or am I missunderstanding something here?

I don´t like skale even I was heavily awaitling it before I found renoise. Not that it is a bad tracker but the new styled ftII interfaced is in my opinion toooo overloaded.

Not more to say here :rolleyes:

my 2euro cents.
I am in love with ft2. i tracked with it very easly ( but only after i spent months to train :slight_smile: i m sure renoise interface has a better usability.
it s not THE best but still its quite clear.

but still id like to have a Ft2 interface … and skale is the program that looks like that. will i swap my registred renoise for skale? no of coz not.
renoise is Better. and all problems get a faster solution.
but if Skin will allow a total RESKINNING of the interface ( not only kolor) i think i ll be also ready to pay for a FT2/skale -like inteface on renoise.
but it s not a priority.

my main concern on renoise is SPEED, RESOURCES NEEDED, and most important STABILITY ( i kannot trust it for a LIVE set…)

regards,
rotello

I meant rather controlling the base cutoof of the instrument envelope. If you put the filter DSP you cut off the whole signal. I rather would like to have a similar control like in synths.

I have tested Skale, that really bad Beta version… It really sucks and the Sample Editor doesn’t work at all it seems. But it beats ModPlug, MadTracker 2 and all the other things … But can’t believe people that think Skale is more like FT2 than Renoise… I think Renoise is more like FT2, and it feels more complete, and more comfortable to work with. But I guess it’s a matter of taste… But those arguments a bit up in this thread were REALLY silly anyhow. :D

Personally I think the FT2-look is VERY outdated, and Renoise looks more than enough similiar to it as it is…

It’s time to move on.

maybe we should filter FastTracker and SkaleTracker words with FastJabba and Jabbale? :D

seriously, such actions are quite lame in my opinion… I read the Skale forum some times, and last time I’ve checked it, I’ve seen all that great words about JabbaNoise, but I didn’t find it on Google, so I felt quite stupid :wacko:

maybe a good idea could be adding an unlinked page on the site which explains that Jabbanoise = ReNoise, so that if anyones searches for Jabbanoise on search engines, he will find ReNoise.

I’m going to add it to my site as soon as possible.

i agree …ft2 look is VEY VERY outdated

OR!, if the skale-developers are a bit smart, they’ll leave the comments there on the forum to stay there, and change their product to Jabbanoise…

jabba-dabba-noise!!

:rolleyes:

This conversation is going towards ‘xbox is better than playstation 2’ and similars, I think both trackers have their good and bad sides, both have a justified existence. Skale has a Very ft2-like user interface that I was immediately familiar with. It has all that I need for making music easily(metal/rock style, dance music could be different…). The developement is slower, but who cares since its already a program that has excellent sound quality. Because of that it will be guaranteed to have a long lifespan, and its free and will be free, if the developers stand behind their words. Skale alredy has a very good diskwriter utility and ASIO is on the way. Renoise is also a very intuitive and easy to learn, and has tons of features (that one can live without but perhaps make composing easier and gives new possibilities). Faster developement is a good thing but I’m not in a hurry… Btw, once again there was some creep spamming skale forums about how great renoise is and how shitty skale is, multiple posts there in different areas of the forum. I guess that this was the reason why they filter the renoise-words… I mean come on ppl who do this, grow up already. :angry:

You mean something like this??

http://www.metamacro.com/awezoom/skale/php…opic.php?t=1251

yip this is kinda lame… agree, even if this guy tried to act in a promotional way for renoise. :angry:

Agree. This is only stupid to do, trolls like that don’t do anyone any good. Please stop it.

This is like America trying to bring Democracy to Iraq, haha!

Nothing good can come out of this. Let people use what they wanna use. Untill they find out that Renoise is much better.

:rolleyes:

I made a rather strange post on the skale website about skale vrs renoise and wish to clarify here on this thread.

The idea behind skale is brilliant. An ft2 clone that runs on windows xp or 2000 on any soundcard with updated features like VST and VSTI support.

The problem is this : It does not work. Not right now. Maybe not ever.

Though I’d be tempted to leave renoise behind if and when Skale works 100% I don’t feel it ever will. Renoise is worlds ahead, and gaining steam.

They will complete a mac version soon, and hopefully a linux version soon after that. EVERYTHING WORKS.

Bak-Terry chose to create a half working linux version directly after creating a half working windows version. This means every time he makes any progress towards completing the program he must do so 2 times. (once for the windows version and once for the linux version)

Considering how slow development has gone thus far (nearly 2 years from first beta, nearly 4 years since first HEY THIS IS FT3! BETA and still it does not work) I’d say the chances of them actually completing this program are pretty slim.

Renoise works right now, today. Every feature they mention works.
IT JUST WORKS. that alone is enough for me to say :

Make mine renoise!

In his defense I must say he is fighting quite a team at Renoise H.Q.
One sole programmer trying to match the efforts of an entire team.

So far he’s definitely fighting a losing battle, and the “war” is over in my opiniion. Renoise works now, today, not in 2 years time.

40$ or 50$ is a small price to pay for RENOISE because it just works.
Taktik, you have done an amazing job on this application, and I’m sure you
will do an amazing job going forward.

Renoise speaks for itself, because it just works, now today, so wonderfully
and amazingly. No broken promises, no someday, no excuses, it works.

Renoise works, so MAKE MINE RENOISE.

Warmest regards,

Cquencer.

That is bad manner, but I think that any forum for any program should not censor a comparison between the two programs. A comparison can bring up what features is missing in one program and why they are good.
But is should be done in a nicer way.

I can say one thing though. That if I was looking for a FT2 clone, which I was a 1 year back. Then I found Skale, I would think wow this is nice.

But I would be very frustrated that almost nothing happens!

And that you cannot support the programmer.

Bak does not want any support in money, why because with that also comes some responsibility to develop the program, and that is something he cannot give…

So I would be very happy if someone than pointed me to Renoise, then I would go WOW this is even better!!

I know there are people who don´t know about all the other trackers…They are still waiting for Skale 1.0 or madtracker 3…
Pore souls…

Some of them might even give up trackers because the don´t think they have time to wait…

But you could allways argue that it is up to people to find Renoise themselves, and to find out why it is so good…

Please…don’t.

but should be the logical evolution of trackers…

In my book, evolution is about progress, not backwards compatibility…

As Renoise will only advance further beyond the old trackers in the future, it makes less sense for each release to increase the support for old (and undocumented!) formats.

(…a tracker where you can continue tracking like the old way FT2/IT but
also with the newest tecnological features) … it sounds like a dream

Sounds like Renoise to me :D

there is another thread with spam by this Robert man (who I hope is not the same Robert appeared here in the Suggestions forum), check it here.

I didn’t told you about this thread before because what I want to enlight is this phrase by awezoom (Skale team):

well… I hope this was just an example of spamming, and he is not serious about ReNoise stealing ideas from Skale, since this would be quite ridicolous… ReNoise developes faster and has much more features than Skale, so how could ReNoise steal ideas from it?

Oh well… let’s compose and develop :drummer:

perhaps this should be moved to ‘offtopic’ ?