Content Libraries

Hey Renoisers,

Thanks to our efforts Renoise 3.0 will become more and more stable. Maybe it’s time to make the Content Libraries idea more clear.

Extracted from the last Release notes : “With the increased power and flexibility of the Renoise instrument, we wanted to invent an equally powerful and flexible way to manage and share these creations. A bit like Renoise tools, make it dead-easy to “install” new instruments from a single file, or to make them available to others. Our answer to this is called Content Libraries. Essentially, a library is just a collection of files put in a specific folder structure (Samples, Instruments, Phrases etc.), with some added under-the-hood cleverness. For example, you will be able to tag instruments, enter descriptions and more. We are planning to finalize the details for the Content library, including the procedure for installing, uninstalling and tagging content, during the beta phase.”

Questions.

• Will there be a dedicated place where to upload/download Content Libraries ?

• Will it be possible to upload/download contents directly from the Renoise 3 interface ?

• Okay we know that samples, phrases, Instruments, could be shared, … but what else ? Could we for example share entire .xrns songs (for example, only native songs allowed) ?

• Will there be limitations of the contents to upload or download ? (maximum filesize of contents)

• Will it be possible to encrypt a content with a password ?

• Will there be a “Content Libraries Selling System” i.e. a price next to some contents that you could only get if you pay via paypal/cb/visa/mastercard ?

• If some users wanna “share” copyrighted or some “sold” content : how will it be detected ?

• Will there be a place where to promote some “favourite content” that is “popular” (a kind of charts but for contents)

• Will it be possible to discover new contents “randomly” ?

• Will someone code a renoise tool that automatically grabs content (loops, basslines, fx ) from huge libraries, and that generate some automatic musics, with no effort ?

I’ve been so excited screwing around with the new sampler that I completely forgot this was even going to be a thing. Man that’s going to be awesome. We’re already starting to see R3 xrni’s get posted to the tips section. I actually kind of think it’d be cool to have a special forum section for posting R3 xrni’s.

Answers

(disclaimer: these are not final decisions, I’m just adding to this discussion)

• Will there be a dedicated place where to upload/download Content Libraries ?
  • Will it be possible to upload/download contents directly from the Renoise 3 interface ?
  • Will there be limitations of the contents to upload or download ? (maximum filesize of contents)

There is no plans for an online file repository - at least not to begin with. Potential copyright issues and bandwidth cost could make this difficult to realize.
In order to distribute really, really big files with zero cost, we should perhaps look into the idea of a bittorrent tracker (anyone has experience coding such stuff? )

• Okay we know that samples, phrases, Instruments, could be shared, … but what else ? Could we for example share entire .xrns songs (for example, only native songs allowed) ?

Good question. Essentially, Content Libraries would be “ingredients” for creating music, but it might make sense to supply a demonstration of the instruments - as a Renoise song, or even some other DAW format (for use with Redux based projects).

• Will it be possible to encrypt a content with a password ?

You mean, like certain libraries (Kontakt) are able to encrypt their content? I don’t think so, and I haven’t met many commercial libraries that are actually encrypted. It offers no substantial protection of the content, and simply makes things more difficult. The Renoise instrument format is an open one.

• Will there be a “Content Libraries Selling System” i.e. a price next to some contents that you could only get if you pay via paypal/cb/visa/mastercard ?

In our specs for the library system, you will be able to add a license to your content (shared, or for individual files). This will ensure you the legal rights if you need/want to sell your content.
Basically, you could set up your own shop and sell Renoise libraries from it. Or you could contact an existing shop and make them sell it on your behalf (we need to get some content makers on board for this to work).

• If some users wanna “share” copyrighted or some “sold” content : how will it be detected ?

If you are sharing copyrighted content, you will run the risk of the copyright holder noticing this. Personal responsibility & risk?

• Will there be a place where to promote some “favourite content” that is “popular” (a kind of charts but for contents)
  • Will it be possible to discover new contents “randomly” ?

Both good ideas, perhaps it could be implemented as an online voting system (favorite/“star” a sound, and share this online?)

• Will someone code a renoise tool […] with no effort ?

Sounds like a great deal of effort />

I understand. If we would have to physically host all the files, beside the copyright problem, it would probably require a dedicated server and the cost of it would cut one for good the little revenues generated by renoise & redux themselves. However the idea of “sharing” contents can’t be sacrified that quickly.

Maybe we should have a look on “http://openbittorrent.com/” ?
or / and
https://www.phpmybittorrent.com/ ?
or https://stormhub.org/tracker/ui.php (dead simple)