Could Renoise Go Microtonal?

Cool!

please do!

BBBBBUUUMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPP

Getting sick and tired of playing with the western scale lately! Please devs, look into an option of having different frequency tables to play samples, maybe make this a part of the new .xrni format?

+1

Thanks for the reminder fellas, I was making a little tool in Max a few months ago and forgot about it. Try it:
http://s.hryx.net/temp/interval_audition_win.zip
(Built for Windows, but includes source patch file.)

Select frequencies, MIDI notes (rounded) or a frequency ratio to hear the interval. Cents value is also displayed. It’s nothing too musical, so please try it and let me know if it could be useful for something. If so, I can work on it and move it to a more permanent location.

It won’t happen soon I think (lets hope the 2.6 scripting prospect can help here :) ), but a new year deserves a microtonal bump!

Please devs, look into this! The ability to load scale files for different instruments and have the frequency table adjusted accordingly.

Interesting that this thread was revived right as I was starting to work on some alternate tuning songs, using the method that It-Alien had mentioned.

It would be very cool if some more tools for alternate tunings could be added. :D

now, this isn’t a big thing for me but it would be really awesome if renoise would go for a more general approach to notation than the onmnipresent western daw-think imo. also, it’s quite natrual to do it in renoise since a tracker has no need for the piano roll so visual representation wouldn’t be a problem… i think lol.

edit: is there any good daw which handles these types of tunings well btw?

ye, it’s no problem in that respect. what would be nice though is if the user could alter the names of the notes. (not only an issue for strange tunings. there has been some people which have requested to be able to alter sharps to flats for certain keys. people working with post tonal notation use 0 through 11 to notate their compositions, if i’m not mistaken).

it would be really sweet if the user could name the sample slots anyway they want. say, chose a set of symbols and in which order they appear.

Can you direct me to It-aliens method? :)

Yep, other tuning systems would be ever so nice, +1

bump

Dunno whats up on the 2.6 scripting side, but Alpha testers please look into the possibility of alternate tunings! Please :)

i think that one must be able to assign pitches to symbols in order to do alternate tunings practical to work with.

support for microtonal setups would be reallyyy awesome though! (=

Yes, it definitely would! Getting a little bored with the chromatic scale.

Modplug tracker has support for microtonal and it also loads scala files (.scl), from version 1.18, more info here:
http://lpchip.com/modplug/viewtopic.php?t=3701

hey! thanks for the info. can’t seem to access that page. you were logged in to your account when you copied the link?

Oh yes, forgot you have to be member on the forum to get access to develoment corner, otherwise it is possible to compile the source yourself from sourceforge. I recommend from sourceforge, since a lot has been changed since january.

Thanks for the heads up Rakib! Will check it out in a minute, haven’t worked with modplug for years! Is it possible that you share the newest compiled version somewhere? Haven’t got the special powers myself ;) to compile it.

Hope not anybody is offended by the talk about modplug here.
But I’m sorry but I don’t have the latest release here.

I recommend that you download the latest release from sourceforge here:

This contains a some files, extract it in a folder.

And then register at the forum and then download the beta release, the file contains just modplug.exe and not the other files, then overwrite it to the original modplug folder.

Here is a great explanation on how to apply microtonal:
http://lpchip.com/modplug/viewtopic.php?t=3125

Thanks!

bump 'cause I won’t give up! :)

If importing scale files to change a sample instrument’s frequency table will not be implemented soon, can a script magician please look into the prospect of using 2XX or 1XX pattern command values to simulate different scales? :drummer:

Reading a bunch of posts back in this thread, apparently the new timing system since the release of Renoise 2.0 makes it possible to have better resolution finetuning samples using these commands.