Could somebody please fix ZynZilla?

@It-Alien @noisebeuter @Raul or somebody?

I can get it to work - I had to adjust the ‘manifest.xml’ file to read API 6.0 (I know it could be 6.X). Then I had to ‘Enable’ the tool, as it was disabled.

I now can get the tool to show up and it works - Look!

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.26.06 AM

The issue is that I keep getting the same pop-up error message.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.28.22 AM

main.lua:577: unknown property or function ‘insert_sample_mapping’ for an object of type ‘Instrument’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘_error’
[string “do…”]:48: in function <[string “do…”]:35>
main.lua:577: in function ‘generate’
./gui.lua:861: in function <./gui.lua:860>

If I knew how to fix it, I would. This particular Tool is incredibly versatile. It’s structure is not too different from the PadSynth, but it’s sound generation is VERY unique. Very FM-ish tones and excellent variety for more melodic waveforms. I repeat, this sound generator is very different.

If anybody could fix this, that would be excellent!

2 Likes

Is there an explanation someplace of what insert_sample_mapping used to do?

I see when it was removed but it isn’t obvious to me what was supposed to replace it.

1 Like

Heck, I wish I knew :slightly_smiling_face: I’m just a lowly composer. I do know that the sounds this tool makes are pretty unique, especially because it works with the PadSynth harmonic set, but doesn’t make pads. It’s really similar to the Ryukau plugins, making beautiful additive/FM sounds.

@taktik @noisebeuter @It-Alien

Trying to get some help updating ZynZilla so it works without error messages, and I was able to contact Vincent Voois, but he’s not able to help. Could this Tool be updated, because the sound is quite unique, very pretty non-pad sounds, FM-ish.

Error message:

main.lua:577: unknown property or function ‘insert_sample_mapping’ for an object of type ‘Instrument’
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘_error’
[string “do…”]:48: in function <[string “do…”]:35>
main.lua:577: in function ‘generate’
./gui.lua:861: in function <./gui.lua:860>

it looks like instead of using this function:
renoise.song().instruments[]:insert_sample_mapping(
layer, sample_index [, base_note] [, note_range] [, vel_range])

they now use the renoise.SampleMapping object
and added this:
renoise.song().instruments[].sample_mappings[].layer, _observable
→ [enum = renoise.Instrument.LAYER]

the old function set parameters of an instrument at an index and selecting a sample_index(hex value of sample in list?) at the layer(note-on/note-off?), and setting the values of base note, note range, and velocity range

this new way you set the variables into the object, maybe there is more to it in the api documentation on how to set the variables?

after a quick view it looks like you set them like
renoise.song().instruments[].sample_mappings[].base_note = 48

so looks like instead of setting all those parameters with one function call you set them individually, that i can tell. Maybe you can replace what’s in the brackets from the old function with the new style and it will work.
https://files.renoise.com/xrnx/documentation/Renoise.Song.API.lua.html#h2_67

note:
renoise.song().instruments[].sample_mappings[]
is an array of tables of renoise.SampleMapping objects
sample_mappings[] array i believe uses the index used by the old function as sample_index

2 Likes

You seem to understand this much better than I do - but that is because I do not, in any real way, program in Lua. I got as far as HTML and CSS :smiley:

I understand all the words you’re saying, but I cannot (unfortunately) piece them together in any reasonable way in my own head. I’ll keep looking it over, it might just be that I’m tired. If it works for you (that would be awesome!), I hope you’ll be able to post a refined file.

Really, thank you for spending the time to review this. It’s a real limitation of mine.

I wish i could but after viewing the code there seems to be probably so much done “the old way” it would take me quite a while to fiddle through what is correct for the new way scripts should be written for renoise, i’d have to learn the old way and the new way, and I’ve never written a script for renoise…out of my league right now…i was just trying to help by figuring out the insert_sample_mapping mystery

2 Likes

Well, I appreciate it! Hey, at least you understand the possible magnitude. Thanks for that.

Guess who fixed it?

@martblek!

Here’s a fully-operational version of this incredible waveform designer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.