Couple of old bugs (vst-fx-alias timing, -935BPM with tool)

If you use both a plugin and a sample in an instrument, sample operations like duplication make you change to the plugin tab mocking your decisions

Also there are timing errors/delays when using vst-fx-alias to send midi to a an effects dsp, but they don’t happen when you send the midi in real-time, i.e. during recording or if you ‘always record’ by using a virtual midi ports.

Also Dread found a way to consistently get the -935 BPM bug, use the supplied tool and song, push play then left-click the pattern: Pattern track to BPM automation

These were also present in 3.0.0.

3.0.1 x64

Thanks for reporting. Can replicate the “-935 BPM bug” here now with the tool and will try to fix it. Remember you’ve reported it before but we never could replicate it before.

Could you give us a few more hints, probably an example song, regarding the “vst-fx-alias” thing?

This uses a virtual midi port called ‘reno’, otherwise simply play the instrument with the keyboard, then compare it with the first pattern.

This uses a virtual midi port called ‘reno’, otherwise simply play the instrument with the keyboard, then compare it with the first pattern.

I’m not familiar with MVibrato. What exactly does the MIDI note in MVibrato do in this example?

I’m not familiar with MVibrato. What exactly does the MIDI note in MVibrato do in this example?

I was a little low on time to explain.

Actually I’d like to edit my observation. When triggered from pattern, it’s synced not to incoming midi, but to the position in the pattern.

The midi notes reset the vibrato.

When triggered via midi the reset works consistently every time. (also when playing the current line with the return key)

When triggered viapattern the reset doesn’t consistently reset, it’s synced to the position in the pattern instead of being synced to midi.

http://youtu.be/fu7uvOG3-Pk

Hard to say what exactly goes wrong here, but I’ve double-checked the timing of events that get sent to VST-FX (aliases) from Renoise, and they seem to be correct. Also tested with some other VST-FX where this is easier to observe.

In this example, the FX itself reports to have a latency of ~4ms, but the note is scheduled from Renoise directly to the FX with no delay at all, so the event should get sent perfectly in-sync with the sample input to the plugin.

So this either could be a bug in the plugin itself, or it simply sounds “better” with MIDI events involved. MIDI events to/from the virtual MIDI ports !will introduce delays! (not the other way around), but maybe are handled differently within the plugin.

The “-935 BPM bug” is fixed now. Was very very unlikely to happen in Renoise itself, but could have been caused by tools.