Cpu Usage Insane With 1.5 Rc1

What specific kind of motherboard do you have line47?
And do you have the newest drivers for it?

nfryspys

Ok now i tested the Fm7 testsong.

I have something like 50 processes running.

I started AVG scan for virus, I started AD-Aware scan computer.
browsers up msn lots of things. Mediaplayer and alcohol52 so on so on.
after starting 7-8 programs renoise crashed.

Fm7 testsong.

• Renoise = 38,7%
  • Windowstask= 36 to 48% varied over time, up and down.

My machine did not produce any artifacts whilest running Renoise, before it chrashed. Smooth sound all along, then stop.

I use this hardware:

• Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (nForce2
  • AMD 2100+ Athlon. 1.733mhz.
  • 2x512MB 3200 ram
  • Gainward Pro/600-8x 64MB GPU
  • Seagate series V: 80G 2MB IDE(system) , 160G 8MB S-ata Series VII(workdisk)
  • Onboard chip is Nvidia firestorm. = No dedicated audiocard as of yet.

nforce2 works like an amiga… :eek:
You have seperate chips that handle audio, disk, net, video, etc.
The cpu sure dont need to work for a livin.

I have found that the nForce boards are very good for this kind of programs.
And since I still have my Amiga :w00t: … I wanted a close relative …

:ph34r: Vely good computal…

nfryspys

im not sure on the motherboard type but i have gotten all my driver updates from dell. my internal soundcard is a sigmaTel

First… the checklist:

• Go to the controlpanel(in windows…), enter soundsettings.
    U now have a popup window that reads"Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.
    There should be soundplayback/Soundrecording/Midimusicplayback. Choose the same unit for all if possible…that means the same Card…Device…
    Check that your soundcard has the same settings. Check if this is the same in
    Renoise. under config. If you do this wrong then the sound will get
  1. lower and blander.
  2. coarse and choppy, like you have. Because you are using a software audio
    engine like mswavesynth to calculate, not your soundcards chip!
    And that would indeed skyrocket the cpuload!!!

Of course IT-Ailiens mantra is RTFM … I’m sure you have. but do it again!
Then go through the settings, and set them again! To be sure!!!
RESTART THE MACHINE! Then check the settings one more time!
Then start renoise, and test again! Hopefully you are smiling now.
(How about gettin Rc2?)

But if at this stage you are still not smiling… read on below.

I see, You have a Dell. That makes it a lot easier to find an answer.
What Kind of dell, ie the “name” of it, tell me!

Have you been in the bios and changed any parameters?

Now, a P4 of 3.2G is like 3 - 5 times faster than my cpu. U should have a very fast machine indeed!!!
First, before You do anything else, Send a mail to dell, or better yet, call them and tell them exacly what you want to use the machine for, and ask for the best
way to set up your machine and bios to do this!

Try again to run renoise. If the problem persist, I can give a few advice,
If that does not work, U need a better motherboard. This is my recomended
way now. And I will tell you what motherboard to use.
Because its the motherboard thats the real trick to get right! A fast cpu does not guarantee a fast machine.
Its all in the right combination!

nfryspys

Ofcourse, a smileaid would be this: Techsupport gone wild
:blink:

nfryspys

Ewh… i knew another one…
http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/vide…ldeskcable.html

Say line47, do check out this :nifty audiosetup feature!

Saw it in another string. taktik linked to it.

nfryspys

i am still having trouble with this and its getting really really really annoying to not be able to work on a track.

Can someone from the renoise support team please get back to my as my i can’t play a simple 7 track song using all native renoise effects.

i’m not sure what to do, im at the point of smashing my laptop or buying a completely new computer.

WTF>>>>>>>>>>>>> :o :o :o :o :( :( :( :angry: :angry: :angry: <_< <_< :unsure: :unsure:

This might be a stupid question, but are you still using RC 1 or are you using rc2?

RC2

Then lets go through it step by step, trying to find the cause of it:

When did all these problems start? Or do you always had performance problems with Renoise? Are these problems 1.5 related?

Is the problem only that audio starts crackeling, but the CPU time that is shown in Renoise is not that high? So is it really a performance problem or an audio driver problem?

Are you using ASIO? Have you tried using Directsound instead?
Which buffersize have you set up for your audio driver? The smaller the buffersize, the more CPU time is wasted.

Could you post a simple track where you think that is uses too much CPU time, and let us know how much CPU it uses on your PC? You could also send the song only to us developers if you dont want to post a rns here.

Can you maybe test your songs on a computer of a friend, to know if its a problem of your computer or a problem with Renoise and or VSTs that are running in your songs?

Is the Renoise GUI also very slow when having these problems?

Oh, sorry, should have read the whole topic before answering.
Please try to switch to the onboard sound or any other internal soundcard. It really looks as if there is a problem with the USB card.

sorry GUEST was me. i forgot to log on.

hey taktik,
i’ll get to all yr questions soon, would be a good idea for you to know the whole situation. so expect some info from me about all this baffling stuff…

med - i think i get the same problem as you, like the CPU usage just keeps building till the audio gets crappy.

peaX!

When did all these problems start?Or do you always had performance problems with Renoise? Are these problems 1.5 related?

** They are 1.5 related

Is the problem only that audio starts crackeling, but the CPU time that is shown in Renoise is not that high? So is it really a performance problem or an audio driver problem?

** the audio starts skipping and cracking, renoise gets as high as 60-75% sometimes, but the CPU usage for windows goes crazy to 99-100%

Are you using ASIO? Have you tried using Directsound instead?
Which buffersize have you set up for your audio driver? The smaller the buffersize, the more CPU time is wasted.

** Currently i have my ASIO device (emagic 2|6) set up as my main device for windows so everything plays through it. So in renoise i set it to directsound and it is using the emagic device then. hopefully that makes sense.

Could you post a simple track where you think that is uses too much CPU time, and let us know how much CPU it uses on your PC? You could also send the song only to us developers if you dont want to post a rns here.

** Yes i can post a RNS let me find a good one that does not use external VSSt’s so everyone can use it.

Can you maybe test your songs on a computer of a friend, to know if its a problem of your computer or a problem with Renoise and or VSTs that are running in your songs?

** I am going to run some other tests on my HP work laptop

Is the Renoise GUI also very slow when having these problems?

** Yes the renoise GUi scrolls slowly or pauses scrolling then jumps around to catch up

hopefully these answers give ya some help

here is my RNS file:

http://www.line47.com/L47kidacidNOVST.rns
without any external VSTs

i get it up to 80% cpu meter in renoise.
i get up to 97-99% cpu meter for windows.

this seems insane.

help!

It’s is pretty normal that renoise will show up as 100% in the task manager as the GUI uses as much CPU as it can, especially if you have set a high frame rate in Renoise.

It’s probably not only the GUI…

Select a complex VSTi, hold down a key and observe the CPU usage in VST Instrument Properties, now look at the total CPU usage in top and see its a mismatch, i mean how can the total be smaller than the VSTi usage?!

It should be corrected, since it can leave people wondering why the sound crackles when it’s “not” 100% in use. And as a benefit, it could be usefull. :D

Thanks for the file,

Very cool stuff line. The song uses 25 percent max on a g5 1.6ghz and 20 on a 1.6 Pentium M here, so there must be something totally wrong with your system. You are running a 3 GHz CPU: Normally the song should not use more than 10 percent with such a system.

Could you try to disable your 2/6 card? Unplug it and try switching to the build in soundcard everywhere. In Windows and Renoise. If this doesnt help, drop me a mail at taktik at renoise dot com please. Then we should discuss furhter steps per mail or ICQ.

Thanks! glad ya like it.

i get around a max of 22-24% using the internal sigma tel audio card.

now that ive been letting the song loop i am getting 40-45% CPU meter max and the gui is going slower

now the cpu usage jumps to 80% and gets glitchy and then drops back to around 40%

i have just let the song keep looping at the end.

help! :o