Crackles And Pops In 1.5.1

I am frustrated with this problem. I use midi instruments in most of my music, so I can’t use the record as wav option to record, so I have to use external programs. In the newest version, 1.5.1, unless another one has come out since, all the programs I try to use to record (Audacity, sound forge, record-to-wave, and even Windows SoundRecorder) results in lots of pops and crackles during playback that I didn’t hear when the song was originally playing. I’ve made a number of songs with this newer version, and I can’t load them in the older version–1.5.0, which I’ve just done tests on 5 songs to see if I get the pops and crackles–and no, I don’t get pops and crackles with 1.5.0.

What is it that has been changed in the newer version, and what can I do to get rid of the pops and crackles? The points where it does pops and crackles is somehow consistant, almost as if it’s crackling because of the processor being taken up or something–but I have a barton core amd3200, a delta 66 sound card with omni IO, an ATI 9600, a gig of ram, and an 80gb hard drive. I’ve tried 3 programs for registry cleaning, I’ve checked to make sure extra services aren’t running, I’ve gotten troubleshooting info for my sound card, and nothing seems to help.

Thanks.

I installed new video card drivers. I had done this just a few months ago, but I thought I’d try again. This “partially” took care of the problem. At least I can sometimes get through a whole song recording without the problem, but it still comes up once in a while.

EDIT: Never mind–I thought the recording was clear of pops and when I finally got near the end, there it is again. UGH! ARGH! YIPES! Jinkees! Zoinks! Drat!! And double drat!

Well, I finally figured out something that worked:

I disabled:

Alerter, Ati HotKey Poller, ATI Smart, Automatic Updates, ClipBook, COM+ Event System, Error Reporting Servive, IPSEC Services, Network DDE, Network DDE DSDM, Performance Logs and Alerts, Server, System Event Notification, System Restore Service, Task Scheduler, Telephony, Telnet, Terminal Services, Themes, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), Windows Image Acquisition, Windows Management Instrumentation, Windows Time, Wireless Zero Configuration, Workstation.

I already had these disabled:

Messenger, NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Remote Access Auto Connection, Remote Desktop Helper, Remote Registry, Security Center, Shell Hardware Detection, and Smart Card.

And then put renoise in its own resolution of 1024x768, and put the desktop to 800x600.

One of these things did the job, but which? :)

i indeed know your frustration, i was getting these all the time. it would leave me so pissed (close to stark raving loony) its a good thing ive learned not to break things. the only concievable solution for a time while i was using winblows was to stop every possible service i wasnt using including the explorer. an then run renoise at the highest priority. i did this by making a batch script that would kill explorer an then launch renoise with the priorities. if you use vsts i highly suggest evaluating every one you use an determining whether or not they use more resources than they are worth.
maybe look further at your delta and see if theres something you can do to the buffers. even try asio for all. it didnt help me with my setup but maybe yours.

The funny thing is, the songs I’m making don’t take up any more than 20% processing power. That’s why I can’t figure this problem out.

It REALLY makes me consider getting a mac. I’m so tired of having to do so much crap with Windows to get things working correctly. About 6 months ago I completely stopped working on computers at people’s houses for money–with all the companies whose software installs extra services and other crap, like Yahoo’s messenger program that forces things like the yahoo toolbar to be installed, and new drivers for a variety of devices that make services run at all times, I just can’t keep up anymore with how to get people’s machines to run efficiently, especially when they want crap like 3 IE toolbars and they don’t want to use Firefox. Oh yeah, and 25,000 types of spyware/malware/adware.

Windows is not nearly as bad as Linux (where you have to edit text files just to get many programs to run at all, and you have to know how to program in C to get most older programs compiled and installed because things like libsigc change their syntax in newer versions–anyone who claims that linux is “easy to use” needs to have their head examined), but come on–I get a tip-top machine with a really nice sound card and still have all these rediculous problems–I swear, if I didn’t know how to troubleshoot windows I would have given up trying to do music with Windows a long time ago–just about every music-oriented program I have to tweak windows in some manner or another to get it to work decently. God, the crap I had to go through to get Cubase working smoothly–YIPES!!

Windows just plain sucks. Have you seen all the extra crap they’re gonna put in Vista? To kiss the music industry’s butt, MS will be making it so you won’t be able to convert your cd’s to mp3’s or put mp3’s onto a portable device like an ipod, they’re building p2p-with-microsoft into the OS that you can’t remove (yes, big brother MS will be watching you), and if you thought XP had a lot of unnecessary services, hahahahahaha–Vista has LOADS more services, and more pop-up bubbles and forced options. I really don’t see how Microsoft will survive through 2007 if they keep Vista as intrusive in its release in 2006 as it has shown itself to be so far. --And if you thought that XP has a lot of security holes, Vista will make XP look like a wonderful lucid dream. I will NOT buy Vista–if I ever use it to just mess around, it will be a copy.

I’m hoping that Apple will do the competitively smart thing and release their OS for non-Apple intel platforms–they say they won’t, but they also said they weren’t going to release a video ipod. Here’s to hoping–'cuz I sure know I can’t afford the cost of Apple’s price-gouged hardware, in addition to having to spend $125 a year to buy their OS dot releases…

Man, is this a complainey post or what??! :)

Well, let me end it by saying that OS-X is the best OS ever made.

Hmm… There is always the option of having a second PC to do your MIDI playback… (I apologise if that sounds like a dumb suggestion). I always had problems recording audio so I’ll probably end up using a second machine for MIDI play back while I record the audio too…

The most obvious things to check are:

• Disable any graphics acceleration under Windows (or on XP select “adjust for best performance” rather than “adjust for best appearance”)
  • Enable DMA mode on your harddrives if possible
  • Avoid being online while you’re recording

Ahh… the joys of recording… ;)

It’s not a bad suggestion at all–however, I don’t have the second machine to do such with. I have gotten recording working perfectly after shutting off all those services I mentioned, which disables the use of the internet. Having a wireless connection probably doesn’t help things much either.

I take it a step further than “best performance”–I use Tune-Up Utilities to make the gui even more bare-bones (although I “could” tweak it by hand in the registry, it’s so much easier to use software to do it).

Thanks for the tips though.

Just a thought, couldn’t you set up a new user in xp which includes all your tweaked settings and switch to it everytime you wanna do some audio recording.

In theory it would have been a good idea, but whatever windows services (services.msc) are set for automatic, manual, or disabled, remains the same no matter what users are logged in–for example–if Themes is disabled, it’s disabled for all users unless a user sets it for automatic, and then it’s set for automatic for all users. It’d sure be nice if it was different, but alas…

Good idea though, if Windows was written better…

I’m gonna look into the “sc” command for making a script that can start and stop services and change their settings to automatic/manual/disabled. Then I could run a batch file before recording and another one after recording…

internet.bat:

sc config “alerter” start= demand
sc start “alerter”

sc config “alg” start= demand
sc start “alg”

sc config “appmgmt” start= demand
sc start “appmgmt”

sc config “bits” start= demand
sc start “bits”

sc config “browser” start= demand
sc start “browser”

sc config “clipsrv” start= demand
sc start “clipsrv”

sc config “cryptsvc” start= demand
sc start “cryptsvc”

sc config “dhcp” start= demand
sc start “dhcp”

sc config “dnscache” start= demand
sc start “dnscache”

sc config “eventlog” start= demand
sc start “eventlog”

sc config “eventsystem” start= demand
sc start “eventsystem”

sc config “httpfilter” start= demand
sc start “httpfilter”

sc config “idrivert” start= demand
sc start “idrivert”

sc config “lanmanserver” start= demand
sc start “lanmanserver”

sc config “lanmanworkstation” start= demand
sc start “lanmanworkstation”

sc config “lmhosts” start= demand
sc start “lmhosts”

sc config “msdtc” start= demand
sc start “msdtc”

sc config “NetDDE” start= demand
sc start “NetDDE”

sc config “NetDDEdsdm” start= demand
sc start “NetDDEdsdm”

sc config “Netman” start= demand
sc start “Netman”

sc config “nla” start= demand
sc start “nla”

sc config “ntlmssp” start= demand
sc start “ntlmssp”

sc config “PlugPlay” start= demand
sc start “PlugPlay”

sc config “policyagent” start= demand
sc start “policyagent”

sc config “ShellHWDetection” start= demand
sc start “ShellHWDetection”

sc config “samss” start= demand
sc start “samss”

sc config “schedule” start= demand
sc start “schedule”

sc config “sens” start= demand
sc start “sens”

sc config “ssdpsrv” start= demand
sc start “ssdpsrv”

sc config “swprv” start= demand
sc start “swprv”

sc config “sysmonlog” start= demand
sc start “sysmonlog”

sc config “wmi” start= demand
sc start “wmi”

sc config “wmiapsrv” start= demand
sc start “wmiapsrv”

sc config “WZCSVC” start= demand
sc start “WZCSVC”

sc config “xmlprov” start= demand
sc start “xmlprov”

recording.bat:

sc config “alerter” start= disabled
sc stop “alerter”

sc config “alg” start= disabled
sc stop “alg”

sc config “appmgmt” start= disabled
sc stop “appmgmt”

sc config “bits” start= disabled
sc stop “bits”

sc config “browser” start= disabled
sc stop “browser”

sc config “clipsrv” start= disabled
sc stop “clipsrv”

sc config “cryptsvc” start= disabled
sc stop “cryptsvc”

sc config “dhcp” start= disabled
sc stop “dhcp”

sc config “dnscache” start= disabled
sc stop “dnscache”

sc config “eventlog” start= disabled
sc stop “eventlog”

sc config “eventsystem” start= disabled
sc stop “eventsystem”

sc config “httpfilter” start= disabled
sc stop “httpfilter”

sc config “idrivert” start= disabled
sc stop “idrivert”

sc config “lanmanserver” start= disabled
sc stop “lanmanserver”

sc config “lanmanworkstation” start= disabled
sc stop “lanmanworkstation”

sc config “lmhosts” start= disabled
sc stop “lmhosts”

sc config “msdtc” start= disabled
sc stop “msdtc”

sc config “NetDDE” start= disabled
sc stop “NetDDE”

sc config “NetDDEdsdm” start= disabled
sc stop “NetDDEdsdm”

sc config “Netman” start= disabled
sc stop “Netman”

sc config “nla” start= disabled
sc stop “nla”

sc config “ntlmssp” start= disabled
sc stop “ntlmssp”

sc config “PlugPlay” start= disabled
sc stop “PlugPlay”

sc config “policyagent” start= disabled
sc stop “policyagent”

sc config “ShellHWDetection” start= disabled
sc stop “ShellHWDetection”

sc config “samss” start= disabled
sc stop “samss”

sc config “schedule” start= disabled
sc stop “schedule”

sc config “sens” start= disabled
sc stop “sens”

sc config “ssdpsrv” start= disabled
sc stop “ssdpsrv”

sc config “swprv” start= disabled
sc stop “swprv”

sc config “sysmonlog” start= disabled
sc stop “sysmonlog”

sc config “wmi” start= disabled
sc stop “wmi”

sc config “wmiapsrv” start= disabled
sc stop “wmiapsrv”

sc config “WZCSVC” start= disabled
sc stop “WZCSVC”

sc config “xmlprov” start= disabled
sc stop “xmlprov”

Now, if you prefer to have a lot of the services that I have set for manual set for automatic, change the text “demand” into “auto”

make a profile. ^

whoa i just read your reply… man it sounds like we came from the same boat!
i must have installed windows 95 over a hundred times when i began learning.

i’ll tell you what tho, linux really isnt so bad. you may have to do alot to do some things but the overall gain is unbelievable. 99.9% of the time if you have a big problem you dont have to reinstall. the repository for debian is very appealiing also. its a completely different approach to thinking when it comes to linux. renoise doesnt run 100% in it so i’ll stop with the propaganda.

i will however say this, OSX to me is a perfect marriage of windows and linux.
you have such vast capabilities using the quartz wm (what makes osx look so good) that you really would never need to ever use the console, but if you would want or need to use the console almost every command you would use in linux is there for you to use.

i really hope too that they will make osx available to use on none proprietary and generic systems, if they do i will buy a liscense to install it on every one i use. or i’ll settle for using a patch and be a pirate ARRRR!! :D

after rereading your first post i realized that your routing your midi out to external devices then probabbly a mixer? an then back into your computer.
an your troubles come from somewhere within the audio being routed back in.

makes me wonder if what you should be doing before you record audio, is to record the midi into a seperate midi sequencer that can be synced with renoise. and then use a very light program to play the midi sequence so that when the audio comes in you wouldnt be using soo many resources.

from what ive seen so far. renoise is like running a game. maybe something along the lines of unreal tournament but not as heavy. i would guess that trying to record high quality audio with like say audacity while unreal tournament is running would be quite a frustrating task.
ive been successful with syncing renoise with a older tracker called AXS but it did some crazy ish quite a bit.

i would bet this method would help you. i dont know of any midi sequencers to suggest but hopefully someone else nows of one.

also i must add, you probably already have read this but i write this just in case.
if you havent read the problems with bpm & midi syncing. that should help you find a bpm to use that wont cause troubles.
Vvoois wrote a very informative post about it somewhere.

What do you mean by record the midi into a separate sequencer? Is there a way to grab the midi signals being brought out from renoise into another program?? That would be cool.

If you mean using another program to do the midi sequencing from scratch, I’m not a big fan of how difficult most midi sequencer programs make it to edit notes after they’ve been entered… I much prefer the tracker interface… :) And I prefer renoise to any other tracker I’ve ever used…

I have SBLive1024 and the same problem - sound cracks when try to record “what you hear” or “microphone” signals. And as far as I tested - the cracking problem was - MiroPCTV card! When I entirely remove it from my PC slot - there will be no cracking anymore!

Looks like it is time to get another TV card :(

yeah man, use another midi sequencer to record into, but not write ya know?

you could use midi yoke to reroute your midi an then have the midi sequencer record your notes. i guess it wouldnt even matter if they were synced as long as the timing doesnt deviate an you dont have any quantize options setup.

i’ll look around to see if theres something that fits “lite midi sequencer”

pretty much you would only be using the midi sequencer as a way to_not_have the audio device being used by 2 different programs at once.
kind of a pain in the neck but if it helps.

after writing that, i wonder, are you using 1 audio device for all this?
maybe it could be as simple as getting a cheap soundcard with a midi interface on it to use to setup in renoise to send your midi, and use your good one for the recording?

I’m using a delta 66 with omni i/o.

this program
http://www.jazzware.com/zope

works, but is weird as hell with the interface, takes some getting use to an couldnt get it to sync with renoise, but “should”. it does work with midi-yoke http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm but only accepts 1 port an so you can only have 16 instruments, using the 16 channels, thats quite alot when your using external midi devices.
i tested it with 5 channels each was recorded, but for some reason it kept recording to the 1st track. an then i was working on trying to get the syncing an i think i accidently caused a midi feedback loop an now renoise wont run on my xp machine.
so becareful when trying to get it to sync. there must be a better one but that what ive found so far. i’ll keep looking tho. goodluck!

choice:

I’m sure you will be able to fix your problem with MIDI loopback by editing the XML config file of ReNoise

One more thing to add, could be any help to you.

Well, I have Windows XP service pack 2 Media Edition and SoundBlaster Live Value sound card installed. Since I installed that Windows few months ago, I didnt get update for my soundcard so I go to Creative downloads and downloaded LATEST WinXP drivers [and latest were from june IIRC 2003] when WinXP Media Edition didnt exist.

So I installed that drivers and sound card worked all well… except I had crackles and pops during sampling [!!!] I tried everything [removing software, hardware…] and my “fight” took me several days… And finally found what it was -> old, official drivers!!!

When I removed any Creative stuff from my system - and rescan hardware changes, WinXP installed me default drivers for SBLive… And finally - my soundcard is working again!

These days Im thinking to upgrade to EMU0404 soundcard... and finally Ill have real ASIO.

Kizzume: I don’t think you mentioned what motherboard you have. Could it have something to do with that? I had the same problems some years ago with an M-Audio Delta-66 and a AMD Athlon-computer (using an A-bit motherboard with the (at the time) wellknown crappy VIA-chipsets) and all the tips in the world couldn’t fix it from pop:ing now and then in the audio I recorded. Extremely frustrating, so I understand your situation.

Edit: Forgot to mention, in my case it was using ASIO-driven stuff that was the headache, normal recording in SoundForge/Wavelab etc worked as it should.