Crescendo / Decrescendo

I am looking for help:

What is the best way to realize crescendos ? For the first bar (upbeat), which started with a crescendo, I simply used automation of the the pre-mixer of the respective track. But I guess, that this is not such a good solution, not sure about that. I use a VSTi. The velocity of the instrument is not a good solution, as there are only 3 or 4 different velocity steps, hence if I use the volumn column, most of the time there will be no change and then suddenly a big velocity-jump occurs…terrible. The pattern effects don’t work (fade-in: Ixx), as it is not a sample, but a plug-in. I thought about converting it to samples, but I guess this will not work, BECAUSE the plug-in knows different articulations of the instrument (here: legato), and this means the different notes belong to each other and smooth transitions are calculated by the plug-in. This will most probably not work by “artificial” sample extraction. What do you think ?

Thank you,
Paul.

If the plugin is so sophisticated, why does it only share 4 velocity layers? what plugin is this, perhaps someone can help you out with it?

It is the plug-in of the Vienna Symphonic Library. Well, I think (please correct me, if I am wrong) that I have to send MIDI-messages to the plug-in with some meta device to control the velocity inside the plug-in. The plug-in offers some technique called Velocity-X-Fade I just found out, which should be able to realize nice crescendos. I will try this when I am back home. The only question left is which control change code to select and how to handle this process using Renoise.

Best regards,
Paul.

The cc message to use for specific effects is usually described in the manual of the plugin.
Regarding sending them can be done in two ways:
If you want to automate through the pattern effect column:
http://tutorials.ren…s#MIDI_Commands

If you want to automate through automation:
http://tutorials.ren…nt_MIDI_Control

I implemented the MIDI control automation as it possesses higher resolution. I have to adjust the velocity curve almost for every single note. Having all this in the pattern editor I would get mad.

Thanks for your help !