Cross Track Routing First Steps

One of the new big features present in Renoise 2.5 is the new cross track routing capability for meta devices.

Basically all meta devices, which work by automating some kind of effect parameter, now can address parameters and effects in other tracks different from the current.

As you see from the image of a LFO Device, besides the selector for the effect and parameter there is a new small selector (the one which shows CT) that basically let you select which track to pick the effect from. If you click on the track selector, you will see all available tracks names popping up:

This selector will show the track number to which the current meta device is pointing to, so you will have typically:

• XX = Track Number XX
  • CT = Current Track
  • MT = Master track
  • SX = Send Track Number X

To give a simple example on how to use it, follow these steps:

A - Add a LFO Device on Track 1 and a Distortion Device on Track 2
B - Select the Destination Track in the LFO Device as Track 2
C - You will now see the Distortion in the Destionation effect of the LFO

… you can now select it and select also which Destionation parameter you like to automate !

In order to give a better overview of active connections, and to simplify finding which effects are actually controlled by a meta device, when selecting a meta device in the Mixer View it will highlight with a dotted selection which effects are actually affected by automation. For example if i’m automating [A] the Drive of the Distortion in Track 2 i will see something like this [B]:

More to come…

Maybe I’m overlooking the obvious, but I don’t really understand what the practical purpose of this is. In your example, does it really make a difference where you place the LFO device? Why not just put it on track 2?

edit: Ah, I see how it’s useful with Hydra and other meta devices though.

it may not make much sense with a single LFO… but it’s a total must have for the signal follower device, and also for the hydra, so you can control stuff on more than one track with one master LFO for example.

Let’s imagine you put the LFO on track 2, and now you want to reset it whenever a certain instrument plays some notes. Naturally you would connect a key tracking device or a velocity device to the reset function of the LFO and then everything works happily. But what if the instrument is not actually on track 2, and is instead on track 1? Well, now it’s possible for the actions on track 1 to affect the devices on track 2, which is awesome.

Or maybe you want to put a Hydra device on track 1, and connect its parameters to devices that are contained on track 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., to create some kind of uber-device which can pretty much control your entire song by moving one single slider. This was totally impossible before… but is now very easy… WHICH IS AWESOME! :)

Yes sorry, probably i should have made an example with a key tracking device, so to explain it better. Or with a hydra.

When i have some time i will show some obvious usage and more cunning tricks you can do with it.

First of all, I have to say the new Renoise features are damn cool!!! And I haven’t even tried cross-track routing yet.

Edit: Just found the Signal Follower. This is exactly what I want. Great <3

Isn’t it what the “signal follower” device is doing ?

EDIT: wrong device name, sorry.

EDIT 2: I don’t know which algorithm is used to compute the instant amplitude of the signal, but it is probably based on RMS or something similar …

hi jk123, let me introduce you to the Signal Follower Device

Renoise 2.5 RC2 has also a new tutorial song called “Tutorial - Ducking (Sidechaining).xrns” which shows a sidechaining example

Yeah, I saw it just after posting, thanks :)
Hoped nobody would see my post before editing it. hehe. :-]