Custom Mixer Channelstrip

mmmh. i actually don’t understand all of this. you mean you want to decide if use a knob instead of a slider or are you referring to implement lacking functions?

as i see this, my channel strips are easier on the eyes and better organized than the reason ones… space waste everywhere and i need two pages of the strip to see all the parameters of the eq/dynamics, funny!

what imo could be done better is to allow the strip to have selectable widths, to be more usable in high resolution by giving more horizontal space to meters and compact sliders… yes sliders

Well, then let’s just hope tooling will eventually make it possible for someone to make a more elaborate mixer.

I think it’s quite obvious the mixer needs a big overhaul to be competetive and align to conventions, and it doesn’t feel as if it’s being given proper attention. Overhaul can be done without compromising customizability or disappoint those with minimalistic needs. Perhaps an evaluation could be done on how valuable the mixer is to Renoise users in its current state, and features that are most sought after.

My impression is that it was something rather rudimentary that was thrown in due to total lack, and most users thought it was cool because they have never used a proper mixer console :)

Both. The main issues i see with the Renoise mixer in comparison to others is 1) its GUI and 2) its lack of a strip.

This is the reason for my suggestion. It would provide a strip to those who need it that, if it was a bit customizable, also would make the rest of the gui more bearable. If i can have those strip knobs easily distinguishable i could probably live with the rest.

Well if you desire buttons stacked in functional groups i can understand that part of the reasoning. It doesn’t mean that the current way the mixer presents toggles is bad.
You can use the document node API in Lua to save song depending layouts albeit, you also need to take care the saved xml accompanies the song if you distribute the song.

Yeah, kind of. All i see is grey boxes and sliders. I just threw out a suggestion to give some attention to what I think is an issue.

Yes, you’re patronizing.

There are loads of things I don’t like about Renoise’s mixer. Lack of post-fader sends and poor routing capabilities in general are my main complaints. But what you’re suggesting is just “OK, let’s make software look like hardware”. It’s not a real gear, it’s not a simulation of a real gear. It’s 100% software - free your mind and KISS! :)

I really like the mixer as it is. I don’t need any channel strips. I totally prefer an eq with a graph and movable handles over a parametric one with knobs - what a waste of room to have one or two peaking bands and a high and low shelf. Renoise’s eq10 rules! And also including a compressor in the channel strip means more wasted room so it’ll leave less room for my huge dsp chains and thus losing the overview.

Ok. I clarified my original post.

better routing would be cool indeed, better zoomable metering would be cool also

I’d say what you really want is a combination of the Doofer Device™.

And the ability to set a DSP Chain as a Default For All Tracks (including newly created ones.)

With possibly a couple of more options for GUI, such as knobs instead of sliders in the Mixer view…

Those are both separate ideas I would support and I believe would give you the functionality you want but the way you have presented it in this thread, even with the edited first post, don’t feel right to me.

EDIT: Actually there is on vital aspect to Channel Strips which the above solution would not provide! Namely Send and Return points for sending through effects that aren’t part of the standard DSP Chain. Not sure this could be fitted it with the above solution, you would need some visual separation between the channel strip and user-added effects and something to make it clear at what point this is happening. Unlike the Doofer Device I can only ever see you being able to have one such device per track and the normal (currently existing) DSP chain would sit between the Send and Return point.

True, Kazakoore. I threw out an example of a conventional layout, that IMO a customized Renoise should be able to achieve. Mainly for giving some attention to the mixer and perhaps see new ideas evolve.

THIS!

I actually find the fact that you can’t automate the Post Fader one of the strangest and most annoying things, and without it makes Post Fader Sends pretty pointless as you can just add a Send at the end of the chain and set Send Amount to same as the channel fader was.