Cut "Groups" On Same Instrument

Hi all,

Is it possible to set groups of samples and control the behaviour of cutting between groups, within the same instrument?

For example, you could have a few looping sampled tones mapped across a few keys, and have one cut behaviour for them, but also in the same instrument have a bunch of kick/snare drums in their own group, with hi-hat cutting inside that group but not causing a problem for your looping sampled tones?

Cheers,
LW.

Unfortunately not. Something I believe some MPCs can do and believe I’ve seen it requested in the past. As you say useful for drums but most people tend to spread them out anyway.

Thanks for replying.

Yes MPC functionality is what I’m after. I’ve used FPC in FL Studio and that is a really good FL plugin impo for this kind of thing, and I am trying to do the same with Renoise native instruments.

As for spreading them out, relates to my other post about having multiple instruments controlled from the same controller if you have any thoughts on that, Assign Multiple Instruments On Same Midi Keyboard either :)

Cheers,
LW.

Hi,

I’m a Renoise API newb just wondering if cut groups are ‘scriptable’ or if I need to get some interest together for a future feature? The main benefit of per-instrument cut groups is for live performance, for me anyway :)

Cheers,
LW.

Without scripting, the quickest way would be “Plugin render” and then simply drag all the samples into one instrument and then just use the drumkit button.
If this is about percussion kits, i would do this nevertheless. If it is about laying out a bass-instrument on the lower octaves and layout out leads on the upper, i would probably now use an OSC script to manage that.
But my most favorable thing is to have this kind of option natively implemented, that would also include better MIDI CC support (which is harder to achieve with the current OSC triggers).

What he is talking about I believe is called Mute Groups on the MPC.

Think about having a drum kit set up as an instrument. You may have four or five different samples for each kick, snare, hat (more for hat as open and closed) and you would want each snare to NNA Cut another Snare sample if played but not affect your kick, toms, hats, cymbals etc.

Only way I can see to do it is having NNA set to Cut and then moving the related Notes to their own Track. I believe there is a Script that does this but still no way to achieve it if you are wanting it for live playing, which would be nice.

Hi,

@kazakore, yup - same behaviour as mute groups on MPC, and as cut groups on FPC (drum/pad triggers plugin in FL Studio), that’s the stuff.

Cheers,
LW.

Hi all,

Been away for a while but the release of 2.7 pulled me in…looks like instruments have been given a tasty update, has anyone got cut groups working like on the MPC?

Cheers,
LW.

No, unfortunately this is still not possible, but this will hopefully be addressed in further releases.