D&b Basses

you could try another saw at octave+1, turn the volume abit down and modulate the amplitude of it with a LFO or something similar.

ok here’s my bit…

I do what’s mentioned using only renoise and bread&butter detuning at -26, +26 for both waveforms (a saw on two tracks), roll off the bass at 40 or 50 hz to start, then rendered out and put into three different tracks- each one filtered at different levels (highpass, low pass, notch- using filterscape- the end all of filters for me anyways). basically from there I just use a bag of eq’s to bring out and cut frequencies as I went, throwing in multiple instances of distortions between them using the eq’s to cut out the frequencies I didn’t want from the distortions (sorry this is vague- but you gotta keep some things to yourself right?) then came choruses and a little flange… after that came automation of renoises built in filter 2 laid across all three wave forms. don’t be scared of the resonator, if you get the sound you want but it kills the frequency range of your mix throw in another filter or eq, as a matter of fact load until the computer topples. finally I brought another instance of filterscape with automated sweeping of the cutoff and some weird predelay settings)… and viola you have the bass I made here. it’s all the same wave, but different attacks and releases are automated so I could make kick basses as well as reeses that all kinda meld together and make it all coherent. layered over some 0900, 00b0 and 0e00 riddled breaks and random sequenced samples from packs on DOA. I go there to download shit, screw getting flamed for asking any questions on that board… pretty counter productive/ a goldmine.

and this is what I pumped out ( sorry if the quality is bad but it was a quick bass and I wanted it to load fast:

http://www.geocities.com/anti_pulse/nobiter7test3.mp3

i would posted an xrns, but I used a few plugs that just ain’t free… PAY FOR YOUR TOOLS FOOLS! its about development and support on both ends!

yeah alex- I’m not falling off the tracking deal at all, im just a watcher and searcher. I’ve been laying low studying the shit out of the renoise wiki- I want to levitate. this site has so many new members its hard to keep up, i usually just post when I absolutely can’t figure something new out or hang in the off topic forum due to being a procrastinator… i don’t know if my email came through or not, seemed like too much trouble… i know software inside out, but not much of computer guy beyond audio software and hardware. I need to update my page on myspace, but I’m not too thrilled with that site lately. somebody should burn those servers down…

That sounds excellent Louis :) kudos

(Repeating myself a bit from my earlier post…) Personally I like to use Arguru Voyager to quickly throw together some basses. It’s got 4 oscillators so you can easily do 3 detuned saws + a sine, plus a lot of other funky shit like putting LFOs on filters, etc. Add to that a couple of well placed send tracks in Renoise, some EQs, lashings of filters and other goodies, and you can have yourself a jolly old time!

Here’s something rough I quickly prepared. I did it all on headphones so as not to drive my neighbours insane, so I’m sure some of the EQ’ing is probably a bit off, but you get the idea… If you spent more than 5 minutes on it, you could fine-tune this into something proper evil!

XRNS: (You’ll need the Voyager VSTi linked above)
http://illformed.org/temp/2007-10-09-evil-bass-test.xrns

MP3:
http://illformed.org/temp/2007-10-09-evil-bass-test.mp3
http://illformed.org/temp/2007-10-09-evil-bass-test2.mp3

Here’s how I do them. Included the .xrns which needs the free Triangle II VSTi to make it work…
.XRNS is in Renoise 1.9 so you’ll need the RC1.

.ogg example here
.xrns example here

Sorry, didn’t even think of macs! I’ll post an .xrns later with pure samples used.

Edit: Pure samples used instead for macs (not quite the same as windows as no VSTi automation, but you’ll get the idea!)… Mac

shanx :D

Sorry about that, seems the so called “free” hosting I used was fubar’d. Grrr
Anyway here’s some liks that should work…

Sorry about the spam / ads :(

PC Example
Mac Example

Here’s a version based on a sample of the VSTi, rather than the VSTi itself :)

http://illformed.org/temp/dblue_saw_bass.xrns

http://illformed.org/temp/dblue_saw_bass.mp3

Dude. Trust. You can do anything you want to, and 10 times better in Renoise. Just need to switch your brainbox over!

Love.

(Check your DOA PM’s geezer! I got a link to some of my tracks in there. finally!)

Holy shit guys… thank you so much for this thread… props to all the people posting samples… especially dblue and custard, who have shown me the light… I will now be forever using my already downloaded free VSTs to make some nasty-assed assy-nastiness. Who would’ve thought that simple detune + saw could make such messed up noise! =O

*Wait… I did this kinda stuff in FT2 with random synth samples… this should come as no surprise… well, seems the old tricks still work as well as they used to!!! I should really try remembering how I used to work back then :P

Yep it is all about what you do and not what you got.

Someone should really start a generic sound production wiki somewhere that has knowledge like this stored in an easy to access/change format. There are too many secrets in the sound production world.

Was thinking the same… Something where everyone could host example clips / renders and such…

I posted these basses way back, maybe someone finds these useful :
http://www.savefile.com/files/1117620

Yeah but if you tell everyone how to do it, it ruins the impact!

messed around a little more with that demo trying to get the rhythm to fit in better, what ya’ll think?
promotedII

Nice tone you got going there mate. Good stuff.

I’m talking about shit that SHOULD be general knowledge… like any basic effects that everyone uses. That, and general starter tutorials for different genres… not that people should be conforming to specific genres, but often people like to find out how to get a specific element of sound that a genre has, and it’s nice to see how people usually go about getting those sounds. There’s absolutely NO reason to completely re-invent the wheel every time you want to build on an old concept. If people had more information on how to do these things, then perhaps genres could start moving forward instead of becoming stagnant because people are worried about protecting “trade secrets” that should be general knowledge in the first place.

… at the same time, if someone figures out something that defines their personal sound, I wouldn’t expect them to give it up… I’m just referring to making tried and true methodologies more accessible.

… so to sum it up, freedom of this kind of information will not make 10,000 cloned acts, in fact, it should help fix that problem instead ;)

actually I tend to disagree, I think that one of the reason why there is so much crap around nowadays is that people learn basic knowledge and keep generating generic and boring stuff, easier the music and generic stuff is, more and more avarage stuff appears, instead of people making their own sounds and ways of working, more and more keep copying standard patterns of music making and sound design, but i don’t mean any offense it’s just something that makes me annoyed in long term… but to not be completely offtopic i’ll post some advices patches and samples later