Different Samples In An Instrument Going To Different Tracks?

Is there a way to make it so that I can record my drums in one play-through on one instrument and have the kick assigned automatically to a different track than my snare? I guess another way around my problem would be to figure out how to make effects on each sample rather than the track. Either way, I feel like I’m missing something. Or am I stuck with doing my kick and snare separately or manually separating them after recording?

Thanks very much guys. This is my first post here - do you guys have a mentorship program? :yeah:

As far as I know there is currently no way to do so.

I believe somebody has done a script that will separate the notes into different tracks so you don’t have to manually do so after recording. But recording will still all be done to the same track initially. Not sure how advanced it was or if it works with 2.8 though… (Although guess you might be on 2.7 and possibly demo user as it’s your first post.)

You nailed it! 2.7 and a demo user. I’ll be buying Renoise after I get some decent headphones. I’m just making sure it’s something I want to stick with before I put my $80 on the table. Maybe I’ll wait until the Euro goes down a bit - ha. Do the developers read the forums a lot to get an idea of what features are in demand? This would probably make me more likely to buy. Being guaranteed a full version ahead upon purchase coupled with developers that read the forums would be perfect.

Yes. The community is very good and you will often get responses direct from the developers.

This feature has been requested quite a number of times. 2.7 did see a lot of advancement in the Instruments section, including for the first time being able to tie instruments to tracks when you have assigned a midi device and channel to them. More advancements in the instrument area in general are promised and hopefully this one will come sooner rather than later.

The road map is always hidden though, and although the Devs are active on here what may or may not make the next release is very rarely mentioned. Always some pleasant surprises and sometimes things seem to slide by you might think would of come alongside other bits. On the whole it is a very active, interactive and friendly process though.

Good luck with your choice. A “full version” doesn’t guarantee you any amount of time. Renoise does not always stick to 0.1 version releases. But saying that I think the average a licence has lasted since needing renewing so far appears to be around 5 years, which is very good value for money in anybody’s books. I don’t know how purposeful it is but we seem to be getting used to having a new version of Renoise drop on our plate around Christmas time the last few years ;)

If you dedicate each sample to its own instrument, you can do it this way:
Check the Midi input section on instrument bottom panel (usually collapsed so you have to uncollapse), then select the midi device you want to use to control the instrument, then set the channel you want the instrument to listen to (Change the channel to 2 or 3 if you want to use the same midi instrument that you also use as a master midi input in the generic Midi preferences), also change the channel on your midi controller accordingly and then set the “assign to track” to the track you want the notes recorded in.
Do this for each instrument you want to chainlink. If you take care the samples listen to the specific note as matters, you can divide your percussion line automatically that way.

Does that actually work vV? I recommend somebody else try that and they seemed to have some kind of difficulties. Can’t remember what offhand though.

Can you assign multiple instruments to the same MIDI device and channel?
Do you not get notes recorded in all tracks, even where there is no corresponding sample to the note value?

Or some similar problem…

Yes you get all notes recorded in all tracks unfortunately, however, if the sample is assigned to restricted keyzones, they won’t be audible if other notes are played for that instrument so the trick does work, you just need to pay close attention to the keyzone assignment of the samples.
But the notes thing remains a mess indeed.

I hope the next XRNI update would allow assigning samples to a specific track instead of this trick.

I’ve added the note-mapper tool that i once created to the XRNX tool forum:

This one does a clean job, however, notes are not audible while placing them and in this case you have to remove the midi device from the midi preferences because this one is only listening to channel one.

So that does work live/while recording vV? Didn’t think the API was meant to be fast enough to accurately record notes as played (most automation is slightly less fussy with timing as far as our ears are concerned.)

Notes are registered on cursor position, just not audible and timing can be off indeed, delay and i believe even velocity values even aren’t recorded.
It was created to get people on a starting trail, in many ways the tool can be improved yes, but the initial idea behind it was to put the dev team on this trail.
The instrument chainer also was created with that in mind (which is now reality).