Disable Qwerty Piano

Hi guys, I wanted to assign the “M” key to focus on the mixer view, but when I try to assign this shortcut I can’t because the QWERTY piano is using it. Is there any way to disable the QWERTY piano feature. I really don’t need it, and would rather use the letter keys for shortcuts instead of note triggers. Thanks for your help.

.-.

I would like that too.
But unfortunately that is currently a missing feature :)

I’m pretty sure you can re-assign the keys, just save different versions for different tasks.

suggestion: use a modifier key: LCTRL+M looks like a good idea, although you may want to use one hand only to perform such task in live situations. If so, maybe LALT+X (miXer) could be an idea

Still, disabling QWERTY-piano-option for people with midi-keys sounds like a logical idea.

ye, and even better… if the “playable” keyboard keys could be rearranged. (= (i know, yet another silly suggestion by a nub don’t hurt me plz :rolleyes: :unsure: :lol:)

edit: wow, i just hope this isn’t already doable cuz that would make me look stupid. at work atm so i can’t check that right now though.

i’m not a keyboard player and the white/black key layout makes no sense to me tbh. (it can be convinient if you are making a song in c major i guess lol) i’d like just a chromatic layout where going diagonally up and to the right (from z to s for example) would always raise the pitch by a semitone. a semi tone up/down diagonally up and to the right/left and a wholetone up/down always on the same row to the right/left.

every scale would just have two different layouts and every chord would have just two different layouts. (and if you go one step further and above the upper row (sdfghjlöä) add notes in the same fashion then there’s only one pattern to learn for each scale and chord but you’d of course lose a bit of range on the keyboard.)

then i could play 20 notes on the lower row and i wouldn’t need to think about the white and black keys layout at all which for me is just nonsense. as a guitarist i think more in terms of a fretboard and patterns.

Ha, the way you described that was confusing - would be cool to remap the keys though; imagine having it like an actual guitar layout, you could use you qwerty keyboard as a keytar:

1=G, 2=G#...  
q=D, w=D#...  
a=A, s=A#, d=G...  
z=E, x=F, c=F#...  

edit: hm, can you already do that maes?

Hey guys thank you very much for all of your responses. I really wish you could disable the QWERTY Piano. Renoise is a very interesting music creation software. I’ve got Live 7, Cubase 4 and Reason 4, and would you believe I find the work flow in Renoise to be more “my cup of tea”? The only problem is that I have a severe problem aligning myself to remember different shortcut keys for 3 different apps. It becomes the “Jack of all trades , master of none” syndrome. A guy from the Ableton Forum hooked me up with a Autohotkey script to use with Live and it worked. So, now I have Live and Cubase on the same page, so to speak. Maybe I’ll try it with Renoise. Thanks again to all of you guys.

@It-Alien, thanks for the suggestion but it has to be the “M” key. It’s were my hand goes without thinking.

.-.

hi guys

I’ll add my 2 cents… I am a long time laptop user. Coming from IT/ST background I have no trouble getting around in the interface, but being on a laptop I’d really like to re-bind some of my keys.

I noticed that the keyboard piano effectively has C, C# D, E, and in the case of the top row, even F and G, doubled. The thing is, on a laptop, these keys are far more useful (interpreted) as < > , . / and = + [] { } instead of reaching for the Fn key and looking through the virtual numpad keyboard.

Devs, please consider adding an option to release these keys from the keyboard piano as we cannot override them at the moment?

Actually, upon further review, I’ve gotten used to the keyboard commands and fully understand the “big picture” now. I’m now going to go as far as to thank the developers of Renoise for all of the hard work and the planning that they put into getting so much functionality and control through use of the QWERTY piano the keyboard commands. Thank you.

.-.