Do You Stop?

I wonder how many people read “Do You Stop? Read the story.” and just browse on…

if he did it everyday or everyday or a week it would be much of a diferent story. it’s not like the concerts he plays are a fluke occurance.
i imagine if he all the sudden opened up a theater in the morning and played the same duration. no one would hear it. i guess that does say something about having good marketing.
it’s too bad the inherent idea behind doing such a spontaneous thing is left completely unnoticed unless reported to a bunch of people that missed it. this always creates that horrible feeling of missing out on something. when in reality, If a tree falls in a forest… the tree fell in the forest. does the guy that just happened to be there when it happened, write an email to a journalist to tell the journalist the tree really did make a sound?

eh, it’s obvious that they want the conclusion to be that street musicians get no respect. Had a huge crowd gathered to watch him in the subway/street, this wouldn’t have been published.

Anyways, people aren’t required (or morally obligated) to stop and listen, and especially aren’t required to pay. I would almost consider it noise pollution.

Also subway… People are discouraged of stopping in a subway? What about playing in a park? Or the calmer areas outside of some shopping centre, where people like to meet eachother?

:lol:

That’s probably true

I slow down whenever I hear a talented street musician, unless I’m running to catch something. I’d slow down for his music, but for me to stop I’d have to see and hear something to me extraordinary, like some weird feminine latino guy without shoes playing some strange 16th century looking xylophone-like instrument with amazing skill. I’ve seen violinists before, I’ve also heard Bach before, but this guy was exeptionally original in every way. He got some cash and applause as well. :)

Then again, I was out walking with a friend of mine in the park a sunny day.

And suddenly I realized that I didn’t bring anything new to this discussion exept for my experience and an opinion previously voiced by others. :)

Guess my point is, my eyes are open. And I don’t care if the instrument is expensive, as long as it looks awesome.

Last week after work, I went for a walk through the city. There in a passage was a singing guitarist playing some folk stuff, which was pretty unknown to me. However, his singing and the melodies he played along catched my attention immediatly.
I stood there almost 15 minutes and gave him some money afterwards.

Yes, I would’ve certainly stopped but as many said already: it really depends on the environment and daytime, mood and whatever.

This experiment however is an epic fail imho.

the result of this experiment is probably that people will always stop at street artists in the hope of being able to say “I knew he was famous!” once the bluff will be disclosed :)

possibly also rob the person for their instrument and maybe come back a couple hours later, when they realized they couldn’t get anything for it. :unsure:

also, at first when i read the acticle i think this must be a little too close to the movie coming out with jamie foxx and ironman er robert downey jr. with jamie foxx being a schizophrenic and ironman being a “friend”. :D

maybe that guy never did go to the subway, and really it’s a marketting ploy with a photoshopped image. -i kinda doubt it, but it is plausible.

http://improveverywhere.com/2009/03/18/sub…allery-opening/

I don’t know what I would do with this musician, very intereresting!
But I even got late for work just looking to a cloud that had very beautiful contrast stripes with the sun shining on it on an angle.