Does Anyone Here Make Neurofunk &/Or Darkstep?

Err… you’re actually right. :)

Sorry Ripley but you really don’t know what you’re talking about!

Not sure why Bantai (or Energy Flash) has called Source Direct’s The Cult Neurofunk either…

Wiki tries to claim Optical - To Shape The Future as the first Neurofunk tune. Personally would say it is a lot more Darkstep, which is a term that has been around longer than Neurofunk, since shortly after Techstep, to denote a similar style but with almost entirely synthesised sounds and the beats/rhythm often made out of harsh sounds, rather than the more real, albeit sampled and syncopated, drums often used in Techstep.

I always think Teebee should get more of a mention when it comes to Neurofunk! Sine his '99 Endgame/Orbiting Mars, when his sound changed a lot, and then setting up Subtitles a few years later he definitely helped spread the sound.

I think what people call Skullstep is what I usually term Technoid (or Pots and Pans DnB) and although it’s huge now, and Current Value are big in its game, they do deserve even more credit than they get for the releases from '95 onwards that were very much a precursor to this sounds, more than anything else I’ve heard. (check their early Chrome, now Position Chrome, stuff.)

Hehe, you’re right. :( I really should’ve taken a look in the wiki. But the important thing is that I tried, isn’t it? :lol:

However that SD tune seems so misplaced to me no matter what one person back then said …

… “neurofunk” nowadays?! here http://www.offshore-recordings.com/dock/catalog.
fanu, macc and dghon.
john b & co is club-music.

^ I guess you’re mistaken. You probably mean “drumfunk” :yeah: :drummer:

I wanted to put my 0.5 cent about darkstep

darkstep is a term that is there from the beginning. even at the hardcore rave era people were calling darkcore the dark tune
The term is now used to define the harsh broken drum’n’bass of current value, dj hidden, counterstrike and donny. Its the industrial, intense, harsh, dark part of dnb. This is not technoid.
technoid is mainly use the define the techno fueled drum’n’bass of offkey. Raiden of offkey have now moved to something more tribal and spacey but people are still doing technoid (or as producer of this style prefer to name it techno-dnb. techno-dnb is define by halfstep looped drum pattern and techno arp

If you like techno-dnb and darkstep check my blog for your daily mix and news

Yeah that’s what I call Technoid. Or Pots & pans ;) Current value is very much this sound! With the repeating, slowly morphing loop and groove. His music has very little in common with the other artists you mentioned! Listen to his early stuff, like Frequency Hunt or Seeds Of Mutation, both of which are over ten years old, and you’ll see he was writing what was clearly the precursor to this style far before anybody else was really doing similar.

Have known people, including those that play it almost exclusively, referring to that sound as Neurofunk and stating it’s “what it morphed into.” Something I have always quite strongly opposed.

Whether Skullstep is meant to refer more to this sound, or to the Darkstep sound, I’ve never been quite so sure…

Darkcore and Darkstep aren’t the same term ;) :P

RELAX people enjoy the music and get in the groove :rolleyes:

stop this bitching about genres and everyman just make the music that he likes.

For that ripping bass sound, just stack some filters and dist/modulator fx(flange etc.), its pretty easy, just dont put distortion the lows,(route it, and when doing that just experiment, double your sound with other fx)for example mda bandisto is a nice multi band dist to make it easy, just filter again, stack thing with small values(or not, if it sounds right…).
Only its more easy to just use another suond for low bass, and go crazy with your midrange(maybe letting some bass blend with the more static low).
The trick is to put a lfo device on the right things and you are half way there(guess resampling int always needed… :D

Will put up some example tonight, can make xrns if anyone want to look at it :walkman:

Thx weeble for returning this thread to what the poster had intended!

Tips and techniques for Neurofunk not a debate on what it is or whether you like or not!!

Weeble is right, its not that hard…once you get it…you gotta do some grafting though b4 you can compete with the best…and who is the best can only be determined by you! :walkman:

Yeah the best advice would just be experiment with different fx chains, and listen to some tunes to figure how they do things, was also going to suggest asking TarekFM(he has a nice neuro tune in his sig if u didnt notice yet), but now he is already here :)

His tune made me want to try some dnb again, so if it is crap you can blame him :D (jk)

I’m not really happy yet with how it sounds what i have now but it comes close enough for a few hours :P

If anyone wants i can put the bass xrni+ some vst in a zip so you can see it, using a modified dominator preset on mda jx10 vst.(the rest of the tune using really many vst so i won’t put those up, too much work:)

Anyway this is how it sounds now:

http://soundcloud.com/novvayout/neurotic-clip

edit:bass starts around 1 minute

Ha!! Oh wow, weeble that is one of the best compliments anyone has ever given me…cheers…I have been working on it non-stop since around april and now i have got it…my next tune is really bangin, tighter, more drum edits etc…

And yes, I will take the blame :P

BTW, what the hell is a mda v11 vst or whatever? vst synth i guess… I tried bandisto, had to crank the band gains to like 20db to get something happening…but probably others, yourself included can get good results with it…was thinking of getting audio damage kombinat, but to be honest I am getting good results already, even better now than this track so must be disciplined with the plugs!!! Haven’t paid for one yet so lets keep the streak going!!

Your reese sounds sweet, quite a desired sound, never quite been able to get it as i end up with other sounds ha!! Would also be right at home in a dubstep track as well with LP LFO action…

question, the part of the track you showed us, was that more of an intro or the main bit?

Ah that vst is my secret weapon (mostly when i have not much cpu left and still want to add some sound without messing with resample etc :))
just see over here: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

On that page at the top in green letters there is a text says vst synths(u can click on that…),there u can dl mda JX10 :)

Has simple controls(i think maybe 10-12 sliders most) but also great starting points for presets(many “rave” type sound to tweak), it gives nice full sound with almost no cpu(seriously, it had like 0.8 cpu last time i checked…)

With bandisto i don’t know if u saw there is also gain per band, so put for example mid dist at 75% and then turn up mid gain too(on the far right…)then u should hear some results :) (or it doesn’t work in ur system) would be to bad because its a nice little plug…But then to keep it simple maybe just forget about it and use some sends with ur favorite one :)

btw that track is just the intro part… Havnt worked on drum edit yet(but drums do use much cpu so i have to do some at least before i resample, or i have to go back all the time…) with what u hear now i have got my cpu(4core) up to 80 % already … So now i have to see what i can resample or change some fx for cpu…Might not get much further then this :lol:

edit: now with a crappy dubstep like breakdown in the middle, nice idea :lol:

When i sort of finish this track(i think maybe a few days), i’ll try and redo the bass with renoise own fx and put up xrns example (no guarantee that i will pull that off tho :P )

Dude! too much cpu for drum edits?? whoa, what kind of drum edits are u doing m8? I thought that would take up less cpu…just use samples no…maybe filters too…boy i must be in the dark ages or somethin! i just finished a track w some pretty sick drum edits as per kasmos advice…

boy i must be way off then(not with my own but with what u r up 2!)

halftme breakdown is cool…my latest has a halftime intro…

r u actually finishing the track, if so excited to hear!! :walkman:

Wow, that’s really good. Great review I know, but, eh :D

I just figured out what i was doing wrong, when i automate some layers i like to have the vst plug on the screen so i can see different automations happening at the same time only this causes renoise to use something like double cpu on my system, so if i just don’t do that and i am fine :lol:

Drums are a combination of samples and drum machines(vst like xoxos cleardrum, really nice sounds), using alot of reverb/filters/compressor working 3 or 4 different sends…I think the drums takes up about 40% cpu on the track… Its not helping to get work done fast so i don’t recommend it if u can make nice sounds easy without that kind of trouble ;)

I am still planning to finish this, slowly getting there only i have to try and make a track in time for this weekly compo thing (that is really slowing down my other tracks, but hey its fun:))

@instanity, thx, going to be much better when i am done with it (i hope;)