[done 2.5] Sidechain - Will It Come Yes Or No?

Yes, but the hardcore users already figured out ways to get similar results with the current setup.
Ofcourse, one way more efficient than the other, but this only means that it ain’t impossible at all to do it now.
You somehow got to be creative with the gear you got and essentially that was always the clue behind tracking in general. Not only to have the tools that “does” everything but also to become the sound engineer yourself and start doing something yourself.

Sidechaining is not a feature that is only typical of computer music. Even the cheapest hardware compressors you can buy have a sidechain input, it is an extremely common mixing technique. It’s far from a ‘new sound.’ Every time you hear ducking on the radio (where the music gets out of the way of an announcer), that’s a sidechain.

It’s a useful feature for mixing because the transients of your drums can be nice and snappy without raising the overall level of your mix (meaning that the whole mix can be normalized hotter). It can also be abused for the pumping compression sound, but that’s not the only way to use it.

Yep you can get similar results in Renoise already, no need for any fancy pancy stuff like side chaining.

I have a better idea. You could also use Protracker on Amiga since 1988. And that’s even for free! An amiga is even cheaper than any other computer these days. Hmm. thinkthink* … EUREKA!! GOT IT!! Let’s save money, get more creative because we are forced to - AND - use an Amiga to do it all! Why don’t we still use it then? Oh right, I just forgot, times have moved on, music production evolved! :rolleyes:

The original post was not a question on ‘how to get close to the real deal’.

This post was about getting new, existing technology in Renoise.

No one said Side Chaining isn’t useful.

But if you are looking for a Yes/No answer, you will not get it. Renoise releases are always “suprises”.

Wait until the next version. If it’s there, it’s a Yes. If it’s not, it’s a No.

For the record, “Sidechaining” is the act of using the signal from one track to modulate the parameter(s) in another.

It’s not an effect. It’s not a buzzword. It’s a concept that goes far beyond “compression”.

Renoise can’t do this, yet. Agreed. But don’t believe the hype either. You could do “Sidechain Distortion” with signal following, for example. And a thousand other things, too.

I offer alternative solutions to a suggestion, which are available. Better than waiting around for it to (may)be implemented into the main software don’t you think… :blink:

lol, are you saying that all music produced today is better than 30 years ago? There has been better music produced on an Amiga in 1993, than someone in a full DAW in 2009. Music production hasnt evolved, its just got easier to produce. There is no sound we can produce now that we couldn’t 20 years ago, it just up to the person if they know how to produce that sound.

There is no ‘real deal’ to an effect. If I want a surging sound, who says ‘sidechaining’ is the real deal? Because its the most accurate/easiest or linear way? A drum machine is the most accurate/easiest and linear way to making a perfect drum beat…certainly isnt the ‘real deal’ though is it.

Jesus, if you want the ‘real deal’, its a little ironic that we are all using electronic ‘synthesis’ of real instruments or analogue circuits! :P

Each to their own. :)

They were using sidechaining thirty years ago. Saying that it’s unnecessary is like saying noise gates are unnecessary. There are other ways to achieve the same effect as a noise gate, but I don’t think manually deleting noise is inherently more creative than setting up something to do it automatically; it just takes longer.

The “surging” sound is only an application of the sound you get when you “misuse” the tool, it’s not the primary reason to use sidechaining.

Same thing. Easier to produce=evolution of music production.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_evolution (Lehman’s Laws of Software Evolution)

By ‘real deal’ I was referring to get ‘real side chain’ implementation in Renoise, and not a fake one using existing send channels and commands.

Amen.

Believe me people are aware of external solutions. The reason to ask to get something incorpatated into renoise is not because it can’t be done otherwise.

now with Renoise 2.5 you can perform sidechaining and much more using the SignalFollower meta device

Yessir, mark that one off the list.

The amount of topics is going to drop dramatically after this update :D

Q: Will it Come Yes Or No?
A: Renoise 2.5

BotB: Now ever second topic will instead be “how to sidechain using the signal follower” :P

OMG I FIGURED OUT HOW TO SIDECHAIN WITH THIS SIGNAL FOLLOWER THINGY IM SO COOL

hehe then post a tut on youtube haha