[Done 2.7] Render To Sample -6Db Solution

Now I’m confussed too.
We were talking a about the rendering behaviour right?
So if there is a + 6 db gainer on the master ,2 times rendering would require another + 6 db gainer on the channel where the rendered part is played before it hits the master to be close to the original gain the sample was.
So a + 6 db gainer on the master will not solve anything in my opinion but maybe I miss something?

Not sure myself…Basically I was responding to taktiks idea of having a template with 6db gainers on each track to test out what its like w/o the headroom…

My response why not just put a 6db gainer on the master to test it out…IMO easier…and the above discussion has ensued… :)

For example :
I take a sample, luckily it fits the mix almost perfect , just need to eq it a little bit.
So I have to put a + 6 db gainer on the channel I want to sample?
In most cases the sample will hit the red hard then if it is not a quiet hihat for example.

Other way around :
I take the same sample, eq it like said and I have to insert a gainer After rendering.
So I have to keep a gainer on the channel taking unecessary cpu.

I don’t like both cases.

standard - 6 db headroom on all channels is very fine with me, there is no problem in that,
it is even nice. But let the - 6 db be - 6 db . The meters should do what the say, so 0 db should be 0 db.
Like someone said, please stop the babysitting.

the template taktik mentioned whas just to show me how i could test the behavour of this settings, nothing more.

i always do the +6 at the sample properties, beside that a gain need´s not much cpu power.

well I’m out. I hate to adjust the gain everytime I render something. It is just stupid.
I hate it that much, I can’t even put it under words :D .
I will see what it will be with the next update, I hope for the best. peace!

this topic might be a little silly… :D

That’s what I always do, that’s what it’s there for at the end of the day. Many of my samples still end up around -10dB in Instrument Settings even with the -6dB on input and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if this became -16dB. In fact if it gave true unity gain and rendering to what you expect then I would much prefer it!

Two +6dB Gainers walk into a bar. Laurie Anderson says let x = x. A brick, slightly in debt.

where is the ‘like’ button? (extra kudos for mentioning Laurie Anderson)

Bottom right of each post, little green plus sign with a number next to it ;)

i clicked it. where does it now say ‘rhowaldt likes this’ ? :)

If you don’t want it to be anonymous I think you have to tell them dude :wink:

For ultra extra kudos you could click to view his profile and give him a User Rating of 5 stars though…

Ah who we kidding? Let’s just put +12dB gainers on every channel and be done with it. Keep it squarewave bro. :yeah:

This.

Although I thought Renoise was now using double-precision float (i.e. 64-bit), which is exactly what REAPER does internally. In any case, with high internal precision there is no such thing as “clipping” on individual tracks, it is only the output stage (where you render out at 16 or 24-bit integer) where clipping could occur. In this case any automatic gain reduction is entirely unnecessary.

I weirdly didnt have this problem, I found that rendering to sample was affected by the master volume, so I temporarilty threw that to 0db, rendered and then put it back afterwards :confused: I may be a fool, maybe it was a fluke, but there was no sound losrt, I didnt need do gain 6dbs afterwards.

On another note, assuming I’m an idiot for the above :) yes, dblue is spot on

The more I read about this topic, the more confused I am!

So here is how it works in REAPER (as far as I understand it):
If only a single track is playing at a level of 0dB and the master is set to 0dB a well, there will be no clipping since the overall level is 0dB.
If I now add another track and set this to 0dB, then the master will clip, because it now has to deal with two tracks at 0db, meaning the overall level is doubled.
What I do in this case is to decrease the master volume such that it does not clip anymore. Pretty straight forward so far.

Now Taktik mentioned in another post, that the -6dB reduction in Renoise is there, such that people do not have to reduce the master level everytime they add a new track.
And this is the point where I cannot follow the whole discussion anymore.

This is how it works in Renoise (as far as I understand it):
If only a single track is playing at a level of 0dB (according to the meter) and the master is set to 0dB, there will be no clipping since the overall level is -6dB (as the single track actually has this level).
If I now add another track and set this to 0dB (according to the meter), then the overall level will be two times -6dB which should be 0dB. The master is not clipping
If I now add a third track and set this to 0dB (according to the meter), then the overall level will be three times -6dB. The master is now clipping and I have to compensate by decreasing the master volume.

That has confused me :S I get it… but I don’t get it. So I don’t get it lol

haven’t been around for all and surprised this thread is still going!!

obviously a hot topic…to be honest, I have no opinion as I am confused as well…to be honest it doesn’t bother me though…I just normalise or raise the gain in sample settings if need be…