[done b4 & b5] Mute groups

Not the only way, watch my video :D Even if it’s not the purpose of loop function, and/or it may not work with any sample (if I understood correctly), it allows playing a sample with key released.

The strange thing is that apparently, I’m the only one who achieved this :blink: But as you can see in the video, I didn’t do anything special. Just launched Renoise.

Yes, this apparently works, too, however, you run into the danger that you accidentally play another loop round, when not releasing the key fast enough with short samples :slight_smile:

accidentally play another loop round, when not releasing the key fast enough with short samples :slight_smile:

Yes, indeed the “release on loop exit” should be considered a hackaround, and not a proper solution.

But here’s the thing: the devs are fully aware that mute groups aren’t “there” yet. It doesn’t help to repeat over and over again that the feature is broken - we should simply continue discussing the implementation, provide them with any possible ideas we might have.

Ok, sorry ;)

I’m always worried about my english and think that people doesn’t understand what I’m saying :lol: Especially when I found a “hackaround” and noone seems to obtain the same result or consider this is a possible (but ugly I have to admit) way to do something. Repeating is more because of that.

Concerning the feature itself once it will work, I honestly don’t know. I just see the live performance advantages of it (like I explained here and in the beginners section), for MPC/midi fighter/maschine-style finger drumming/sample triggering.

Concerning the tracking side possible advantages, I have to admit that I don’t use renoise advanced features so I don’t see.

thanks

Hi,

First of all, this is the first time I post something in the Renoise forum.
I would like to share this with you guys :

I am triggering real drum multisamples using the Alesis Control Pad and two sustain pedals
for the open hi-hat and kick. The closed hi-had is assigned to one pad on the controller,
and the other pads for other pieces of the drum kit.

My closed hi-had (5 velocity layers) and the open hi-hat (5 as well) are assigned to Mute Group 0, NNA=Cut.
Everything else is set to None, NNA=Continue.

and…

The open hi-hat samples are not in the Note-On Layer, but in the Note-Off Layer (and my foot pedal is still triggering a note on ???)
It works like a charm !! None of the other pieces of my drumkit is muting the open hi-hat except the closed hi-hat.

Obviously, alternate NNA settings are required for the Mute Group samples.

:slight_smile:

Not to rain on your parade, but using a note-off layer isn’t really the same as a mute group - playing your particular drumkit live, you would never be able to play just the open or closed hi hat - as they are sort of tied together…

Haha, yes. Indeed. I think I have used the exit-on-loop option just once

[quote=“danoise, post:66, topic:39991”]
Not to rain on your parade, but using a note-off layer isn’t really the same as a mute group - playing your particular drumkit live, you would never be able to play just the open or closed hi hat - as they are sort of tied together…

I am playing live with my controller, and yes, I can play just the OHH or CHH. I placed the samples that are part
of the mute group on the note-off layer for troubleshooting purposes, of course, I don’t think it should be required.

It seems that the Mute Group feature takes effect when the samples are not sharing the same pool or layer as the ungrouped ones which is something I thought of (and that gave me the idea of using the note-off layer). The only attribute they share in my set up is the Mute Groupe number, and it works, like the grouped samples were on the note-on layer.

It works like any other good drum sampler or drum brain, live.

Hi All,

got excited after I saw the “Mute Groups” UI element. But I can’t get it working apparently… am I missing something?

Here is what I did;

• Assign each sample to a different key zone
  • Create never ending envelope (don’t just want the sample to stop after releasing the key, I am triggering drum hits, so I need one shot behavior)
  • I put both samples in the same mute group

nothing happens, both samples play on as if no other sample in the group has been triggered…

NNA behaves as always, but across groups.

Any ideas?

Edit: After reading not only page 1 and 3 but also page 2 of the thread I see that I am not alone ;)

I would expect that NNA works globally across all samples as it always has as long as no group is selected.
As soon as a group is selected, the NNA is overridden by a cut for anything playing in the group but the last sample.

Continue makes no sense since it defeats the purpose of mute groups.
Note Off is nice to have but makes no sense either for most percussion sounds.

Cut is the only useful mute group behavior imho, so no need to fiddle around with NNA clustering/grouping.

The mute group feature is unfortunately not functioning correctly right now. Let’s hope it will be working in the next beta.

And to point at another use case then hi hats and loops:
Congas, bongos, tablas, right left alternating foot machine kick etc.
Any drum that offers multiple hit styles on the same drumhead can only be midi played properly with mute groups.

This actually is not a new problem, happens in all versions of Renoise, but with mute groups this of course gets even more problematic. Fixed this for the next beta.

We’ve also changed the mute group behavior to always “cut” instead of using the action specified for NNAs.

Experimenting with a “one-shot” mode for drums as well (ignore note-off messages) to avoid all those hacky workarounds, make it a proper feature of the Renoise sampler.

Sounds great taktik! One-shot mode also seems like a good plan. Looking forward to the new beta.

Nice :D

Looking forward to test that :)/>

Regarding oneshot mode make sure that it happens on the trigger level so that modulations can still be applied as usual.
something like ignore note off (hold) but on sample level.

Indeed. I think it will work like the “normal” mode, but ignore the release phase of Envelope/ADHSR devices
Also, a sample placed in the note-off layer will never fire (obviously)

EDIT: Sorry, I tested with a v2.8 template song.

interesting feature. i know the idea was introduced as being called a “mute group”, but would it maybe make sense to rename it “NNA Group” and move it over by the NNA Parameter? It doesn’t bother me where it is, but since the parameters are so relevant to one another…

Agreed. ‘Mute Group’, to me, generally refers to the grouping of mute functions on channels in the mixer. And whilst analogous in some ways, it’s also different.

Thanks a lot for the effort devs! Very appreciated! Mute groups definitely improved, and it’s almost there! Unfortunately there is still a bug. The current implementation seems to be dependent on tracks for some reason, while mute groups conceptually are not of course. What this means is, that in the current state, mute groups stop working during sequencing as soon as notes are distributed over several tracks.
If you think of this in terms of “real” instruments, a drumset, for instance, should always work the same (a closed hi-hat will mute the open one, since it is the same cymbal), irrespective of how many mics are used to record the drumset. In Renoise right now, however, the drumset works differently if it is “recorded with multiple mics” (split over tracks for better mixing).

Maybe that’s because the problem of ’ spreading notes across multiple tracks’ is not yet taken care of ( assignable output )