[done] Live Triggering - multiple patterns

I know this is a beta but I have a live performance comming up on May 29th and Renoise 2.1 beta 3 expires on may 23.

Will there be new beta in time, I guess beta 3 won’t run after may 23th?

I know it’s beta software and I’m not using for putting together my live set, but I’d love to use 2.1 beta or RC if I could.

Well, one thing to warn you about is that 2.1 songs won’t load in 2.0 versions…

Usually a new beta is being released far before expiry date is due so in that case you should not worry. Even if no bugs would be fixed, a new version with an extended expiry date will be released.
One guarantee you don’t have is that you will be using a bugfree version or that a new beta won’t introduce new unexpected bugs or behavior, so you take a risk when using a beta version on a live gig… However, if you like to take that risk, perhaps the adrenaline gives you the performance of the year ;)

My guess:
-A new beta will be released far before may 23rd
-You have enough time to figure out if Beta 4 will allow you to work with it live without problems.

Just be damn sure you double check all side-configurations (connected gear, which in/outs used and which other software is running etc.) just to prevent getting in panic unnecessary if you simply forgot to jack in a plug somewhere.

How about dots as a visual representation of the play order? (Numbers would be confusing, since patterns are already denoted by number.)

e.g.

> [0] intro   
 . [1] verse   
.:[2] chorus   
 : [3] bridge  

0 is currently playing, and will be followed in order by 1, 3 and 2.

Look at me, I’m bumping a thread, I’d settle for numbers. Whatever is easiest really, just so long as there is some sort of visual indication for multiple patterns in the queue.

Right now this is useful, as someone else said here, to “buy some time” in a live playing situation.

If we now add numbers to the scheduled sequences, you also want to edit them - add/remove/move sequences. If you can add/remove/move them, you also want to to save those and trigger those easily (setup multiple sequence batches). For now its IMHO OK as it is, for later theres for sure room for improvement, but thats more work that simply adding some “numbers”…

How about roman numbers? That wouldn’t be too confusing.

>[0] intro   
 II[1] verse   
IV[2] chorus   
III[3] bridge  

(bridge comes after verse and is followed by chorus)

Roman numbers take up a lot of space the larger the queues get.
Not really a good option.

For quick simple queuing, the way it is implemented right now is sufficient imo.

Save the elaborate ‘live’ arranging for a special page, new editor tab for a future renoise version. Cramming in another row of symbols or numbers would just clutter the space.

I’m working in Renoise 2.0 final release to prevent any problems, I figured 2.1 songs wouldn’t load in 2.0.

Indeed beta 4 has been released already which expires in june and my live gig has actually been confirmed for may 22 (a week earlier).

I’m not taking any risks, but I might use beta 4 after some thorough testing (if I manage to find the time).

Snerg

You can always keep a 2.0 and a 2.1 version of the song if you don’t overwrite the 2.0 version from 2.1
But it is ofcourse a lot of work to maintain.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. Done…

hmm blinking is better visible in live situations…

I can only queue one pattern in RC1. Is this an intentional change? I prefered to be able to queue several patterns.

works here, you have to hold shift while pressing the queing icons

Ok that works. Is there a keyboard shortcut for queueing several patterns?

Not yet, but i don’t exclude the possibility an option will come to assign one.
The most obvious shortcut shift+ctrl+space is already assigned (play from cursor) as the shortcut for queue one secondary pattern is simply Ctrl+space.