[Doofer] FuzzleBuerste - DC offset distortion/saturation module

Update on my distortion Doofer to V1.1!

When the normal distortion isn’t gritty enough for you, this Doofer can give you a bit more character…

It is kind of complex distortion effect, that can sound similar to the classic “Fuzz” type distortion, with an asymmetric distortion that can add more even harmonics to the sound: A DC offset that is varied by the signal amplitude can be added to the sound before the distortion stage.

Also the “Uber” dial will cast a wide and possibly extreme slope pre-emphasis on the signal that is removed after the distortion, so you can let the distortion affect more on the highs or more on the lows.

It can give interesting results on almost any kind of sound…even a simple sine wave lick played through some settings can become a living being using this little beast, and then all parameters are automatable…

Dials are:

Drive - distortion intensity
Sat - saturation intensity
FLT - a lowpass filter of the saturation stage that can reduce the highs and bring in some character when dialed in
Edge - low value = smoother sound, high value = gritty sound
DC - when at 50%, the distortion is symmetrical - dial lower or higher to introduce a DC shift up/down
Uber - when at 50%, sound is neutral - dial lower to put pre-emphasis on bass, dial above 50% to put emphasis on the highs
Dist Mode - change mode of distortion device (added v1.1)

Though it does use a DC shift, it will also highpass the sound to remove it afterwards. Some peaks might get a bit stronger by the shift, so take special care and limit the result. The peaks can get a bit stronger if you use Uber and DC to more than subtle/moderate amounts…

Have fun with this little beast!

(UPDATE V 1.1 - make distortion mode accessible, and put the saturation stage before dc removal, this sounds much better imho!)
Fuzzlebuerste 1.1.xrdp (24.9 KB)

Previous version 1.0

FuzzleBuerste.xrdp (24.7 KB)

6 Likes

This is really good, has that nice saturation I was looking for. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me of my little toy!

Is so sweet, and I have totally forgotten about it in the mean time!

2 Likes

UPDATE to V1.1

Added control for distortion mode. Also I moved the saturation to be effected by DC, as well, as I think it helps the sound to break up nicely.

Download the doofer in the first post of this thread.

People try it out, it is a great effect, I started using this a lot!

2 Likes