Double Click On Xrnx Tool To Install Does Not Work

I would say it is something that is still worth the Devs time. Been a little while but there has been the occasional “What do I do with this tool? I try double-clicking and nothing happens” type threads.

Out of interest can you load xrni Instruments from double-clicking in the browser from OSX Browser?

You can’t double-click samples, right? Can you drag & drop them from Finder? D&D I think is officially supported, double-clicking is not… Although some pointers have been given in your other quite exploratory thread as to what might be the correct route to go to get that working for OSX too :)

That’s the first time I’ve actually looked at the full manual (rather than http://tutorials.renoise.com ) and that is the only mention I can see of loading anything from Explorer/Finder. More worryingly XRNX isn’t found anywhere in the entire thing! Nor could I see a list of filetypes (which can/should be) associated with Renoise and thus loadable by double-clicking.

So not only would it be nice to work the same across platforms, as you’ve been trying to push recently, but in places the documentation is more lacking than it could be and information has to be attained from multiple sources, which isn’t easy for the user.

Tutorial pages also have no results for xrnx. Not sure where in the past I had seen the drag&drag installation comments, guess maybe in a previous version, but having trouble actually finding them at all for 2.7 which definitely adds weight to your argument.

Ok, tested it out for you on OSX.
Renoise open, doubleclick on XRNI = tries to load it as song.
Renoise open, doubleclick on XRNT = tries to load it as song.
Renoise open, doubleclick on XRNX = tries to load it as song.
Renoise open, doubleclick on WAV = tries to load it as song.
Apparently this has been fixed in a future build.

Drag’n’drop works (XRNX, WAV, MP3, FLAC, XRNI, XRNT). on OSX.
Yeah, that thread was the one where it was kind of stated that this will be fixed in a future build. I can’t remember the exact wording of it. But overall, it seemed to be a positive response giving one hope that one day it will be possible to do.

Documentation is almost always out of date - regardless of product or development team.

It just occurred, that if doubleclicking on XRNX does not work on Linux, maybe it could still detect that it is being sent a XRNX, and say “Please drag&drop this on Renoise instead of doubleclicking on it, as doubleclicking is not supported”, or some other form of a warning dialog. (I’m only writing this because it seems that the Linux doubleclick was a real can’o’worms)

The end-user will try everything… once.

Only documented stuff counts for the Dev-team Esaruoho, everything else that seems to work otherwise should be considered a bonus but is no ground for any demands here. Please accept that reasoning.

Drag and Drop a tool on Renoise is the best available option supported and documented.
If anything fails on that area, you have grounds to submit a bug report.

Thanks for your understanding.