Drag-copy/cut-paste Sample Portions Into New Slots

Hi.
Wouldn’t it be so nice to be able when editing/slicing samples to just drag-copy/drag-cut the selected area into new sample or instrument slot? Maybe so that if dragged into instrument slot the sample would be added to first free sample slot so nothing would be destroyed?

I thinks this would improve workflow for many people here. Including me.

respect&regards
Kameleonth

Hi,

good idea… though when slicing it’s faster and easier to do with keycommands… (especially in those cases when you are slicing many loops or beats… it gets quite fast)

1.select area by mouse
2.press ctrl+x or delete
3.switch sample slot (by kbd)
4.press ctrl+v

→ Repeat steps for as many drums there are…

Agree. What I use constantly in Adobe Audition is ‘paste to new’.
It will paste clipboard to new file (in renoise to a new slot).

So I think two new shortcuts would help a lot.
‘Paste to new Instrument Slot’ and ‘Paste to new Sample Slot’.

Especially if Renoise would get a windows/system clipboard in the future, I would use those two constantly.

[quote="#<0x0000562853a75180>, post:2, topic:20513"]

Hi,

good idea… though when slicing it’s faster and easier to do with keycommands… (especially in those cases when you are slicing many loops or beats… it gets quite fast)

1.select area by mouse

2.press ctrl+x or delete

3.switch sample slot (by kbd)

4.press ctrl+v

-> Repeat steps for as many drums there are…
[/quote]

yes for some people it might be. I would prefer the mouse approach, because when I’m selecting a portion of the sample I already have other hand on the mouse, so it would be very easy just to press say alt or ctrl and drag-drop sample into new slot.

If there is a way to easily mark a portion of the sample with keys I would probably prefer to use the keyboard for whole thing, but currently for me mouse would be easier.

Also when working with super-long samples it’s very easy to not switch a view when clipping it, I can focus on what I’m extracting from a sample whole time instead of always finding the spot I was currently at again.</0x0000562853a75180>

Yes those would be very handy options indeed.

btw. 029 or anyone, I can’t seem to locate shortcuts for changing sample slots with keyboard. Apparently there are some. Would someone know what they are?

thx & regards
Kameleonth

Currently not possible.

Then 029 pissed my eye. :( Anyway… …back on topic. Let your voice be heard. B)

ERm… hey dude this has been possible since the days of FT2… Still possible in renoise. These keycommand are so deep in the backbone and therefor I’m not sure wheter it is the numpad - / + or * or % and * that changes the slot but there they are… =)

Thats a Instrument slot ;)

cheers

hey =) yeah =D

edit: That’s true, but that’s what the topic starter asked.

[quote="#<0x0000562854f02a80>, post:10, topic:20513"]

hey =) yeah =D

edit: That’s true, but that’s what the topic starter asked.
[/quote]

[quote="#<0x0000562854f02a80>, post:10, topic:20513"]

Hi.

Wouldn’t it be so nice to be able when editing/slicing samples to just drag-copy/drag-cut the selected area into new sample or instrument slot? Maybe so that if dragged into instrument slot the sample would be added to first free sample slot so nothing would be destroyed?
[/quote]

Stop twisting my words! :angry:</0x0000562854f02a80></0x0000562854f02a80>

Not sure that I really am twisting them?

You would be happy to drag and drop stuff either into the instrument slots or sample slots. I could have not possibly guessed that your feelings had changed. Sorry on my behalf for the inconvenience, and anyhow this is just a misunderstanding of some sort…

You cannot probably change the sample slots by keys but can change the instrument slots… If you are looking for a fast way to slice up samples I suggest you just use the instrument slots.

[quote="#<0x000056285390e1c0>, post:12, topic:20513"]

Not sure that I really am twisting them?

You would be happy to drag and drop stuff either into the instrument slots or sample slots. I could have not possibly guessed that your feelings had changed. Sorry on my behalf for the inconvenience, and anyhow this is just a misunderstanding of some sort…

You cannot probably change the sample slots by keys but can change the instrument slots… If you are looking for a fast way to slice up samples I suggest you just use the instrument slots.
[/quote]

What if I want to slice a sample into one instrument? Maybe a drumloop so that c-b notes play different part of the loop?

Maybe you misunderstood. I meant instrument AND sample slots. I forgive your unthoughtfulness if you agree that it is very logical to want both and you see my point.

/the Kameleonth Guy</0x000056285390e1c0>

Yeah I totally agree that it is totally logical :)

This is BTW the reason why I developed this idea for a total all in one slicer tool.

It was designed for both those who use the samples inside the instrument and as individual instruments (like me)

It would allow:
-easy BEATSLICING using the command 9xx - only a bit more elaborate and enhanced (meaning you could select the points where the 9xx start the playback inside the sample - a bit like a beatslicer…
-slicing the sample into sample-slots
-slicing the sample into different instruments

The idea is simply put that we would have a slicing tool inside an instrument that would automatically map the slices to either to sample slots or new instruments. All edits would be made from one view and they would affect all the clips “live”… These slices could be overlapping - and that is what would make the whole tools behaviour possible.

But yeah… 'nuff said once again… =)

some more pics:

Here is the topic,but I think this was way too long or big idea to express as a posting onto a forum so the whole idea kinda gets lost :(

If I could somehow demonstrate this live to someone I think the idea would have gotten better across :)

[quote="#<0x00005628511a2b90>, post:14, topic:20513"]

This is BTW the reason why I developed this idea for a total all in one slicer tool.

It was designed for both those who use the samples inside the instrument and as individual instruments (like me) — etc
[/quote]

I se your point, and how functional this would be. I think this is handy especially for beatslicing, not so for cropping samples f.ex.

However for me this would be a total overkill since I really would be happy to just be able to drag and drop those sample portions. For me this would probably make things just more complicated, since it’s ultimately more easy to slice a beat into sample slots than always use 09xx command. Just write c, c#, d, d# and so on. Also if I want I can then use offset-command on those samples. That’s enuff for me.

But I see there’s this benefit of having one continuous sample, so when slicing beat one can just play the whole sample from one point and still have the benefits of beat sliced into instrument. But still I’m not sure if it’s too hard to program the beat into pattern from shorter clips, just add more where there should not be silence. And having multiple samples has in turn some benefits, like ability to edit and process samples independently. Currently I cant see why someone would use instruments for beat slicing, but maybe it’s just me.

So you see, there’s sides and there’s sides. For me the original suggestion would be better since it’s simple and functional. If your sketches would be stripped down to only slice to sample slots and ability to make slices independent samples it would be good for me. Like every sample slot would have its own 09xx starting point in sample, and those would be defined by the slice marker in the sample.

But still it would not fully replace the functionality of ability to drag and drop-copy/cut samples into new instruments and sample slots. Your suggestion is beatslicer, mine is sample editing; slicing, cutting, extracting etc.</0x00005628511a2b90>

Yeah, actually I’m personally quite happy with how Renoise behaves at the moment.

The idea for this slicer was to benefit every user of Renoise. Those who slice every single beat to instruments (Like me), those who slice their beats to sample slots, and those who use 9xx command… :) This would allow all that under one tool. (and also inherit all of their benefits, such as similar envelopes to each slice or hit in the instrument slot aswell as one tune slider for every clip.)

I personally prefer to edit samples and make all the beats by myself. So this slicer would allow that, aswell as the traditional not so musically flexible way of 9xx - beatmangling used in house etc. :)

But yeah… Personally I am quite happy with renoise now… You can adjust the slices to measures already and slice the beats quite efficiently with the latest release.

Did not mean to undermine anything you said by explaining about the slicer… just wanted to say that I totally agree and understand your point of view :)

[quote="#<0x000056284c466e80>, post:16, topic:20513"]

Yeah, actually I’m personally quite happy with how Renoise behaves at the moment.

The idea for this slicer was to benefit every user of Renoise. Those who slice every single beat to instruments (Like me), those who slice their beats to sample slots, and those who use 9xx command… :)

I personally prefer to edit samples and make all the beats by myself. So this slicer would allow that, aswell as the traditional not so musically flexible way of 9xx - beatmangling used in house etc. :)

But yeah… Personally I am quite happy with renoise now… You can adjust the slices to measures already and slice the beats quite efficiently with the latest release.

Did not mean to undermine anything by explaining about the slicer… just wanted to say that I totally agree and with your point of view :)
[/quote]

Yeah I got you. Just replied mine to other thread, so now we cankeep these separated. :) I still don’t get some aspects of how beatslicer would add functionality that isn’t there and why it would be useful in first place, but we are all different and I, of course, speak of only about my point of view.

But let’s

/offtopic

and goto ontopic instead. :)</0x000056284c466e80>