Drum Fills in Renoise

Can anybody post an exapmle XRNS file with some drum fills? Or can you give me some ideas how to make them in Renoise?

It’s difficult to construct an authentic sounding fill (for me) by randomly throwing out tom notes. Even after I get the right order and spacing I have to goof with the note/pitch to make the fill sound correct. Mixing in snares/cymbals really complicates things. Is this an inherent problem with digital music creation?

Can anybody post an exapmle XRNS file with some drum fills? Or can you give me some ideas how to make them in Renoise?

It’s difficult to construct an authentic sounding fill (for me) by randomly throwing out tom notes. Even after I get the right order and spacing I have to goof with the note/pitch to make the fill sound correct. Mixing in snares/cymbals really complicates things. Is this an inherent problem with digital music creation?

You don’t get the acoustic properties of drums when you deal with samples, so it’s not as easy as to just place the hits correctly. A multi layered drum kit would probably help making it sound more convincing than if you use just a handful of samples.

It has been discussed before, so you might get some tips from there:https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-to-make-a-marching-drum-roll/33862

A drum roll/fill is not just a drum roll/fill, so if you want a specific type i suggest you post an example of what you want, then it will be easier to lead you in the right direction.

Can you post sound examples of what kind of fills you’re looking for? Like TheBellows mentions it makes a difference if you’re going for a realistic, acoustic feel. If you don’t feel like reproducing a realistic sounding fill using multi-velocity drumkits, playing around with delay column values possibly on a higher lpb (maybe do them inside a phrase?), you could just use fill samples sampled from a drummer :wink: .

Please start this youtube video twelve seconds in. This roll gets repeated several times so you get a good chance to hear it.

I place the default Renoise tom, snare, crash sounds into the tracker and I have to spend a fair amount of time adjusting delay and the actual notes so it somewhat resembles a natural sound. I’ve placed several drum requests in this forum and you guys always nail the requests. I guess it takes time and experience to know what to do and how to do it with Renoise (like any other program). Maybe you can try and construct this and explain along the way. That’d help a lot. Thank you.

Here it is (the fill/roll starts and repeats at 00:12)

I place the default Renoise tom, snare, crash sounds into the tracker and I have to spend a fair amount of time adjusting delay and the actual notes so it somewhat resembles a natural sound.

Like mentioned above, a good multi-velocity acoustic drum kit, having each drum element recorded at different velocities, will give a more realistic result than fixed drum sounds. That should be your first mission, getting a great kit that fits your projects sound. There might be some kits in the downloads forum?

*btw you could extract the audio from the youtube clip, cut out the particular break fill and sync it to your projects bpm, use Renoises auto slice function & Dblue’s slices to pattern tool (https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-7-2-8-slices-to-pattern/31593) so it will automatically place the slices on the corresponding pattern lines / delay values.

This would give you a quick overview of where to place your own samples, might make it easier to emulate?

here’s the break from the youtube video, auto-sliced & inserted in the pattern editor as proposed in above tip, probably you need to alter, experiment with some of the delay values, the recording drifts a bit, but stepping through the note events, hitting enter to preview the sounds, it should be easy to figure out which kind of drum element goes where; 7167 filler.xrns