Dual Core Processors

Conroe is what i am waiting for.
Everything else is hardly justifying the price for the upgrade.

That’s a crazy chip- it’s intended for mobile computers too and it supposedly is killing amd’s best benchmarks by 20-30 percent. WOW. Looks like I gotta start a piggy bank for next year :w00t:

Well, I finally went for an Opty170 Stepping CCBWE 0609 FPAW. Currently at 2.7Ghz per core with +.05v over default. Bringing it up from 2.0-2.7GHz shows virtually no increase in my temperatures though, which is indicative of the better quality silicon. Still going through testing stages and finetuning atm, but the performance of this CPU is remarkable.
Once I’ve finished my tests & modifications, I’ll see how renoise performs. I noticed that some software is a bit buggy, but this is often easily fixed by telling it to run on a specific core.

Those intel chips do seem to be pretty potent at the mo’, and especially now they’re down to 65nm process. I would imagine AMD will bring their scaling down from 90nm sometime soon, or like you say, they will fall far behind

im sure AMD will respond to that…

but ofcourse, though i don’t think they can match conroe.

Any valid reason why, or is this just an AMD vs Intel debate? <_<
Besides, 20-30% may not be such a great amount to make up now we’re talking multicores.
AMD have been on 90nm for a while, I’m sure they’ll have something up their sleeve! I’ll admit that AMD do have to pull up their bootstraps, as it is a suprisingly large performance increase, but with similar technology on a smaller scale, I imagine they would be well on their way.

*edit: I’ll retract that about the performance deficit, I imagine AMD will have to do a lot more after reading this article. It seems they have redesigned from the ground up, and about time to!

Tell your buddy to turn off his HT. My buddy was having some issues untill we disabled it- now it’s all good. I’m suprised you are getting such a performance hit with renoise. I run renoise as my host with multiple instances of absynth and kontakt, and a slew of other plugs and don’t come anywhere near that cpu mark. I’m generaly at 20% or less. As a matter of fact- i almost feel things are running a little too smooth, like I’m not fully exploiting my proc. I use a an opty 170 as well. Conroe looks good, but I’m starting to feel at home with my current setup, and don’t think I will need to upgrade anytime in the next year or so, but that changes every other month when some new cpu hog comes out of the gates.

I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about the new mactells- I think I’m going to pick one up. My current laptop is up on sale on ebay so I can buy this one. I hope it’s as sweet as it looks. If anybody is interested in a sony vaio vgn-a240, let me know, currently I have it up to sale only here in america, but if anybody off the boards here is looking for a mint laptop (only a couple of months old) let me know and I will lift the restains for overseas sales. It’s got a 1.6ghz pentium m (centrino chipset) with a gig of ram. 40 gig HD, it’s a sweet computer, but I really want to try a mac out and see how she blows.

oh yeah- don’t forget the patch if you havent installed it yet- it will really help stabalize cpu spikes and all those wierd problems-

AMD Opteron™ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/Techni…71_9033,00.html

Yeah, got it installed, but I don’t use cool ‘n’ quiet (because it’s unstable during o/c on my mobo), so no real advantages for me. Thanks for the link though, trying out the power monitor utility!

^^ forgot to log in^^