Dubstep Bass Synth

Try using the native oscilators like so Filthy dirty angry native bass

All credit due to TiiVi for the first part of this .xrns

Working with the ringmod frequencies is not a real choice atm, because the calculated key frequencies are not accurate. Combine it with an accurate tuned VST on your toenails will curl up…

You could always use the keytrack device and empty instrument to set maxima and minima freq values! It’s accurate if you clamp to A
It’s a lot of effort I know, but that’s what effects chains are for.
I work on linux so I’ve been putting alot into just using native FX.

Well, for Windows it isn’t accurate (yet). Sadly…

wobble bass … eh

lfo’ing the filter on a bass. achieving faster wobble with higher pitch and bla.
use synced lfo and automation …

i’ve posted a tutorial once, step lfo’ing in renoise. you can achieve
wobble speed synced to notes with this method.

@ coopr: thanks 4 posting the dubstep wobble example! much appreciated.

No problem. Hope the XRNS is self explanitory. Essentially you only need to listen to the “step” track, but i thought i’d add the others anyway to get more of a feel for the sound…
First pattern has negative feedback on the flanger, second has positive feedback on the flanger, third has no chorus.
The other effects are just playing around with a few parameters to get typical dubstep sounds.

the key to making these angry reese-styled things is to have two sound sources: one sine wave, and another heavily chorused sine wave one octave up. then you distort those!

http://illest.net/~will/vsn_dubstep_bass.xrns
(i don’t have my subwoofer around so i can’t really hear how much bass this really has, but the spectrum looks good)

chip sine, and a long chain of alternating distortion, EQ10 renoise native plug ins. thats it really. I’ve got dubstep releases on vinyl, and I only use renoise. instead of chip sine, you could truncate and loop a sub-heavy kick if you want, for a more agressive sound. sculpt the final output with filters. render selection to sample is your friend. :)

EDIT:
check the top track in my soundcloud, called “Three Five Three” - that bass was made with this method. all about thinking outside the box. no one wants that old wobble bass anymore. Let skream do his thing, and you do yours.

I’ve found that using band-pass filters over an oscillator with Fold distortion, set to equal parts dry and wet, gives you a really Massive-esque FM wobble effect, especially if you combine it with custom waveforms in the LFO device.

Combine it with this tip from agargara, and you’ve essentially got a multi-oscillator native filthy wobble synth.

“Route a key-tracking device to the RingMod frequency, with min 27.5Hz and max 4186Hz, with range A-0 to C-8 and flat scaling. Then the frequency will match the pitch of your sample, giving you some fun effects playing around with your choice of sample and the RingMod settings. Turning Inertia down can give a ringmoddy pitch-bend effect.”

What I like doing is putting 2 of these ringmod-oscillators on the same track, one set at a slightly higher frequency than the base note, and one slightly lower - to get that 3-osc detuned effect you hear in a lot of Massive patches. Layer on chorus, flanger, make an exciter, and you can make it sound pretty sexy.

awesome tip,thanks for sharing

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/wa