Duplex Beta Versions

Lights for the clips in GridPie are not working correctly on my Monome with b16. They stay switched on when I turn clips off, and perhaps some weird stuff when paging downwards. I can give a more detailed report if you like. I went back to b13, the latest of the previous versions in my downloads folder.

Thanks, I can see the issue popping up in a number of places on the monome. Will investigate…

Not really necessary, but it would be great if you could test the fixed version (I’ll release it tomorrow)

Which I obviously didn’t

But it seems to be working here, it just got caught up in the next round of re-factoring.

The 17th beta of Duplex 0.98 has arrived …But what’s in a number anyway?

the main feature is mostly relevant for for programmers: three button types are gone, in favor of just one: the all-mighty UIButton.
If you’re actually writing scripts, having just one button type greatly simplifies how to display “stuff”.

I made this as well:

The new display combines text & color. It works like this:

• devices with no text get text, devices with no color get color.
  • devices that have a specific color-space will still be restricted to the allowed range

– Full release notes –

Duplex 0.98b17  
* Refactoring: UIButton (replaces UIPushButton, UIToggleButton,  
UIStepSeqButton). All applications have been updated to use of the new UI  
component  
* UIComponent events, fix issues with MIDI message passed on to Renoise  
* Virtual control surface able to display text & color simultaneously  
* Theming support: specify the default button color (default is white). No UI is  
provided for changing the value, so in order to match Duplex with your own theme  
color, modify the value in Globals.lua (search for “theme”) and delete your  
preferences before restarting.  

SwitchConfiguration  
* Light up arrow only if next/previous config is available  

Transport  
* Stop scheduled blinking when current pattern is re-scheduled  

Mixer  
* remove “invert” option in favor of customizable palette  

GridPie  
* fixed a bug when switching away from Grid without having run the application  

Download is located in the first post

Does anyone know how to load Remote-SL-MKII.automap using Automap 4.2?

Thanks.

It’s simple: open the auto mapping dialog (press “view” on the device when AM is running), and click “open” in one of the topmost buttons. Then navigate to the file…
Another way to open the mapping dialog - in the automap software - is to go to the device list, select the remote and click “edit mappings” (or something similarly named)

However, Automap has been buggy with Duplex since v3.7. Some buttons does not update, it’s recommended to stick with Automap 3.5 (Novation has been informed about the issue).

It’s applicable to Automap 3.x but unfortunately not to AM 4.x. It doesn’t see Duplex as software client. Any thoughts? Or should I stick with 3.x version? I think if it’s not only my problem it’s worth to be mentioned in the list of supported controller.

Duplex never was, or should be listed as a software client. If it’s about DAW integration, then Duplex in itself represent an improvement over Automap (except perhaps the VST instrument mapping part), as Duplex “knows” Renoise inside out, and doesn’t have to care about how other DAWs work.
Basically, I only use Automap because it gives us the ability to set the lights on the Remote (in the normal MIDI mode, for some reason we can only receive messages from the device and not set lights).

Ah, but it already is. I just checked

Ok. I see. But the problem is that I can’t run Duplex with Automap 4.2 because I can’t find the way to load Remote-SL-MKII.automap file.

Anyway I’d like to say thank you danoise for such impressive extension for Renoise. I had a chance to play with it when AM 3.x was installed. ;)

Somewhere, somehow you must be able to display this? Then click “Open” in the topmost row…

Got it! Thanks! It was needed to enable any MIDI channel in AM 4.2 software and then it was possible to recall that screen.

I use Launchpad Matrix+Navigator+Transport and I still manage to break the block loop function.
to recreate:
play a song, activate blockloop by pressing the most right grid buttons (I tested with row of 1,2 and mostly 4).
now go a little berserk with the positioning of the block loop. eventually the loop won’t respond anymore and the song will continue normally.
while blockloop is still enabled in Renoise and according to the visual feedback on the Launchpad.

Not sure it’s a bug in Duplex or in Renoise.

I’m aware of a few quirks in the Navigator. But I couldn’t reproduce the problem by following those steps…

Some questions (perhaps you can remember the answers…):

• How long was your pattern(s) ? Some pattern sizes (when not a power of 2) can cause problems with Renoise’s blockloop feature.
  • How large a blockloop did you create? (On the Launchpad, that would have to be between 1/8th and 1/2 a pattern).
  • Did you move the blockloop around by quickly pressing and releasing, by holding the button, or by resizing (pressing multiple buttons)?
  • Did you use Renoise to control the blockloop, or only the Launchpad?

You’re right, faders doesn’t seem to transmit anything.

Edit: I think I know what causes it: the following line from BCF-2000.lua :

self.loopback_received_messages = false  

Could be replaced with this line (or simply removed):

self.loopback_received_messages = true  

So, what does that line do? It basically disables the bi-directional feedback for the BCF-2000.
Had to do with how the faders didn’t always set themselves in the correct position, but with a properly working unit it should no longer be a problem.

Slight bump, since yesterday saw a new beta (more color related stuff and a couple of bugfixes).

Duplex 0.98b18  
* Applications: all palettes standardized  
* For devices with mixed colorspaces (APC20/40), prefer “tinting” over “theming”  
* Fixed error when using #CC buttons on a virtual display as keyboard keys (the  
issue affected AKAI LPD8)  
* OSC buffering: all but float-based arguments are now buffered  

StepSequencer  
* Mappings track, level, line, transpose are now optional.  
 This should fix an issue with the nano2K config that didn’t specify ‘track’  
* Fixed: under certain conditions, could throw error on startup  

Grid Pie  
* Disable of “follow_player” now only enforced outside the grid-pie pattern  

Recorder  
* Fixed: under certain conditions, could throw error on startup  

Launchpad/Matrix config  
* Made “control loop+position” the default option  

The download link is located here

Gooood job, danoise. (as usual ^_^ )

The new display method (text & color) for buttons is quite nice. It is very intelligible and looks cool simply.

One tiny request:
Can the ‘Left/Right’ arrows on the “flip through matrix” buttons be changed to ‘Up/Down’ arrows?

3118 flip-through-arrow.png

Thanks satobox, and did you notice that I seem to have fixed an issue with the Nano2K step-sequencer config? I don’t really understand how it could not have caused problems, but anyway it should work fine now.

Heh, sure.Just change the “orientation” of the sequence mapping…however, this is not really the optimal way to do things. I think the new palette/color is a lot easier to understand/work with. For an example, see how Grid Pie is now referencing a simple palette in a single place.

The reason that the Matrix navigation buttons are not done like this is, that they still make use of the UISpinner component. Next update should get rid of the UISpinner altogether, streamline things even further. Having so many different/complex user interface components was simply a mistake to begin with.

:blink: ?? sorry, recently I didn’t touch nanoK2 much, so maybe I’d overlooked something.
Anyway, I think myself that the sequencer config of nanoK2 is not good (it’s a bit strange to use some knobs as buttons :rolleyes: ). I will remake it in the future.

These things are a bit difficult to understand for me. I’ll wait to the next update.
Actually, the arrow thing does not have any problem even as it is now. :)

Can’t get feedback to work with BCR2000 in Renoise 2.8 and newest beta. Works fine in 2.7 with old version - any advice?

You should be able to follow the advice in this post, it’s a simple procedure.
I hope to confirm that it’s in fact fully operational. Then feedback will be re-enabled as the default, without having to fire up a text editor first :)