Duplex Beta Versions

Ive bought amazing korg taktile 25, best midi for renoise ive tried - talking about composition (you can paste chords by pads and create arp or control XY deviceby XY pad)
So when new duplex will be out i will create mapping for sure :-))

I’m testing the next release right now. No new features yet, just adding support for Renoise 3.1

I hope that there will be posibility to edit modulation / effects in instruments also :slight_smile:

Ah, never considered modulation to be a potential candidate for an application.

But if there was such a thing, I would definitely also take some cuesfrom Ledger’s Quick AHDSR tool.

What I do want to make is a program change application.

Imagine a Launchpad running Keyboard and Programs? Perfect for playing phrases in 3.1

OK, the 3.1 version is ready for download

http://www.renoise.com/tools/duplex

I am maintaining both 3.0 and 3.1 versions for now.

But I’ve added a bunch of archived releases to the topic, just in case.

Wow, great news, thanks danoise !

The update has broken the XY pad for TouchOSC. When changing the position of the pad, the following error message occurs:

Error Message: 'C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
Error Message: Please contact the author (danoise) for assistance...
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: Not implemented
Error Message: stack traceback:
Error Message: [C]: in function 'error'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: in function 'get_numeric_value'
Error Message: .\Duplex/StateController.lua:79: in function 'handle_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/MessageStream.lua:141: in function 'input_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Display.lua:771: in function 'generate_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:560: in function <.\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:556>

I’m using V3.0.1 / V3.1.0 b5. Thanks for having a look.

The update has broken the XY pad for TouchOSC. When changing the position of the pad, the following error message occurs:

Error Message: 'C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\main.lua' failed in one of its notifiers.
Error Message: Please contact the author (danoise) for assistance...
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: Not implemented
Error Message: stack traceback:
Error Message: [C]: in function 'error'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Message.lua:69: in function 'get_numeric_value'
Error Message: .\Duplex/StateController.lua:79: in function 'handle_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/MessageStream.lua:141: in function 'input_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/Display.lua:771: in function 'generate_message'
Error Message: .\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:560: in function <.\Duplex/WidgetHooks.lua:556>

I’m using V3.0.1 / V3.1.0 b5. Thanks for having a look.

Cool, thanks. I will take a look at this.

Note that you can still use the previous versions (see OP) and change the manifest to to “5” for the API version. It’s primarily the Keyboard and Mlrx applications that are affected by the new API.

Hi

Quite often my Launchpad S will drop its connection - whether waking the imac from sleep, or sometimes switching songs.

It does seem to hold a connection from the computer > Launchpad, in that the pads light up and respond to changes in Renoise, but the Launchpad > Computer communication seems to be dropped. The only way to refresh (that I have found) is to unplug/replug the usb cable and it works again. Maybe there is a less brutal way?

Has anyone else experienced this? (tested on Renoise v3.01 and 3.1 rc2, OSX 10.10.5)

Cheers

I haven’t experienced that problem here. And I do use the Launchpad from time to time.

Maybe there is a less brutal way?

Well, since Duplex supports hot-plugging of devices, this is actually not a bad workaround at all.

The alternatives would to shut down the entire tool (possibly affect other connected devices and/or the running state of application) or reload all tools.

Both of which are much more risque if you ask me…

tested on Renoise v3.01 and 3.1 rc2, OSX 10.10.5)

Could you also tell me which version of Duplex you’re running? (Tools Menu > Tool Browser > Duplex)

Could you also tell me which version of Duplex you’re running? (Tools Menu > Tool Browser > Duplex)

v1 - the latest one on the Tool page (Nov 18th, 2015)

Hi All!

Need a little help to proper setup a BCR-2000 workflow with Renoise. Just upgraded to Renoise 3.1, reinstalled Duplex and tried to get my BCR-2000 in NRPN mode of operation for high res control knobs.

Thru the SysEx utility patch in the nrpn sysex preset to device, connected BCR to the Renoise and figured out what knobs has a jumping behavior (renoise->bcr works fine, but bcr->renoise - values jump). In BCR NRPN preset the knobs set to the NRPN state and an "Relative 1 14-bit " mode. In Duplex controlmap xml knobs has “rel_14_msb” mode.

Manual for BCR-2000 says what it has following modes for knobs operation:

-Absolute

-Absolute (14 bit)

-Relative 1 (2nd component)

-Relative 2 (binary offset)

-Relative 3 (MSB, most significant bit)

-Relative 1 (14 bit) - seems what it such as relative 1, but for higher res.

-Relative 2 (14 bit) - seems what it such as relative 2, but for higher res.

-Relative 3 (14 bit) - seems what it such as relative 2, but for higher res.

-Increment/Decrement.

Tried to switch to Relative 3 (14 bit) in preset, not worked.

So what can be done to set parameter values in Renoise react properly for the movement of the knobs? :wacko:

Thru the SysEx utility patch in the nrpn sysex preset to device, connected BCR to the Renoise and figured out what knobs has a jumping behavior (renoise->bcr works fine, but bcr->renoise - values jump).

The preset which is bundled with Duplex?

https://github.com/renoise/xrnx/tree/master/Tools/com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx/Duplex/Controllers/BCR-2000/Presets

Hm, that_should_work. I’ll check with my own BCR…

Yes, The name of the file is BCR-2000-NRPN.syx . I don’t know if BCR-2000 has any global settings to set overal functionality. If it works fine in your case, can your show the details of knob settings inside preset?

Tried with file from github - it’s about 29 kB (versus 11 kB what supplied with component xrnx archive) and it don’t load inside device.

In Renoise, existing 11 kB version of preset works strange:

Top row of knobs jumps (from zero to maximum). They are in “1-2 dot” mode.

Bottom rows of knobs (1-dot mode) react jumplessly, but LED indication does not match current parameter value.

Hey misha,

I just checked with my own unit - apart from a single knob (which is physically broken) everything seemed to work fine.

Are you running the right configuration in Duplex? You need to select the one labelled “Mixer & Effects (NRPN)” in Duplex - and of course, have the controller initialized with sysex.

Tried with file from github - it’s about 29 kB (versus 11 kB what supplied with component xrnx archive) and it don’t load inside device.

In Renoise, existing 11 kB version of preset works strange:

Top row of knobs jumps (from zero to maximum). They are in “1-2 dot” mode.

Bottom rows of knobs (1-dot mode) react jumplessly, but LED indication does not match current parameter value.

Perhaps the download got borked? The preset bundled with Duplex and the file on github are identical, size is ~= 11kb

To transmit the sysex,I’m using good old MIDI-OX on Windows, other programs I am not so sure of.

After the dump, the controller will use the R114 mode for all NRPN supported controls.

Hello.

Tried to load bundled patch with Midi ox. Loaded. Now, in Renoise, values do not jump anymore, but then you are turning knobs, knob LED and value on device screen reach 0 or 500 much faster then actual value in Duplex panel reach its border. So it needs to make many turns to change parameter from 0 to max value in software (value on BCR goes to 500 or to 0 and freeze there). It looks like angular scale on BCR and software not in sync…

.P.S. Switched global device mode to U-3.

Also tried to uncomment self.loopback_received_message in BCR-2000.lua file and set it to true/false - don’t do any effect…

So,it’s all look very strange…maybe missed something but don’t know what. :mellow:

Just found, what it’s all about knob resolution, Via BC Manager found settings 96 192 384 768 for 4 modes of knob acceleration in preset. Tries to set a single value, but even 768 is not enought to sync values.

So loading the iPad layout for TouchOSC actually crashes TouchOSC - in fact it may cause the app to crash immediately upon loading. After a couple hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that there seems to be a problem with the parameter names “DevicePresetNext” and “DevicePresetPrev”. Changing the names to “PresetNext” and “PresetPrev” in the TouchOSC editor seemed to fix the problem; of course those names need to be changed in the Duplex TouchOSC_iPad xml Controlmap file as well. Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem I did!

Thanks.

Meanwhile, tested BCR knobs movement more with NRPN preset. Cannot syncronize values yet…If you turn the knob slowly, values stay in sync. But if you turn fast, renoise shows lesser angle. And if you turn value by mouse onscreen (does not matter fast or slow), BCR indicates all correctly (by ring dot). So, I suspect, what all is up to BCR device and its issues. Is anybody else has his own experience with BCR and Duplex in NRPN mode? Does it has knob values in sync perfectly?

P.S. Using Renoise on Mac (OS X El Capitan).

Meanwhile, tested BCR knobs movement more with NRPN preset. Cannot syncronize values yet…If you turn the knob slowly, values stay in sync. But if you turn fast, renoise shows lesser angle. And if you turn value by mouse onscreen (does not matter fast or slow), BCR indicates all correctly (by ring dot). So, I suspect, what all is up to BCR device and its issues. Is anybody else has his own experience with BCR and Duplex in NRPN mode? Does it has knob values in sync perfectly?

P.S. Using Renoise on Mac (OS X El Capitan).

Funny, I was just working with the BCR tonight, as I want to re-engineer this and some other aspects of Duplex. I’m suspecting the fact that Renoise sends out a response while you are turning (this is part of the new approach, to have bi-directional parameters that synchronize themselves less aggressively).

I wonder if you will have better luck with the absolutemode. It might be a better fit, at least I can’t remember why I chose R114 mode to begin with.

To test if this is really the case, I’d suggest editing a single parameter on the BCR (make it use the A 14 mode), and specify mode= "abs_14"for the corresponding parameter in the control-map. Would be curious to hear if that improves things :slight_smile:

Ok… Thanks (was out of sync a little with music last days). Will try it on my setup.

Also want to ask a question: there are some new Behringer devices came on market last year or two - the X-Touch series. It is a bit expensive, but not as expensive as Mackie MCU Pro. Do you plan to add it’s support. Can it possible to show info from renoise’s channels to it’s displays?