Duplex Korg Nanokontrol2 Configuration

You’re a bit vague - is your friend using Renoise + Duplex?

Generally speaking (true for any DAW), the ability to update the controller from the DAW is called bi-directional, or full duplex communication.
Without this you could tell the DAW to do something by using the controller, but the DAW wouldn’t know how to tell the controller to display stuff.

Renoise doesn’t have bi-directional MIDI or OSC communication built-in, which is why Duplex was invented in the first place. And one of it’s strengths is that you don’t have to “wonder” how any given controller integrates with Renoise, as you can install the Duplex tool and then play with the virtual control surface (a full-featured on-screen representation of your chosen controller).

In other news, I’ve made an Effect config for all the nanoKontrol2 users
Here’s a picture explaining the layout (grayed-out stuff is unassigned):
4826 duplex-nano2K-effect.gif

Copy this to Duplex/Controllers/nanoKONTROL2/Configurations/ and restart…
4827 Effect.lua

[quote=“danoise, post:21, topic:33870”]
You’re a bit vague - is your friend using Renoise + Duplex?

Generally speaking (true for any DAW), the ability to update the controller from the DAW is called bi-directional, or full duplex communication.
Without this you could tell the DAW to do something by using the controller, but the DAW wouldn’t know how to tell the controller to display stuff.

Renoise doesn’t have bi-directional MIDI or OSC communication built-in, which is why Duplex was invented in the first place. And one of it’s strengths is that you don’t have to “wonder” how any given controller integrates with Renoise, as you can install the Duplex tool and then play with the virtual control surface (a full-featured on-screen representation of your chosen controller).

In other news, I’ve made an Effect config for all the nanoKontrol2 users
Here’s a picture explaining the layout (grayed-out stuff is unassigned):
4826 duplex-nano2K-effect.gif

Copy this to Duplex/Controllers/nanoKONTROL2/Configurations/ and restart…
4827 Effect.lua

It is easy to say “you’re lazy, or vague” when you have no idea.

If I talk about my friend, but my friend does not have Renoise not know use it, just ask him to demo to test was installed, this friend lives far away, you can not be going home every day to ask you to stop testing me. I try to search and find what I need when alone because I know no one in the world Renoise

Anyway I appreciate your interest, but I hope you to be more polite

Hm.

On a controller quest, picked up a Korg nanoKontrol 2and LaunchpadPro from a local GC - seems one of the best ways to start laying hands on controllers to see what is going to work, though I’ll need to start playing with options for using a Push as well.

So, got through the issue with limited 0-9 midi devices, nanoKontrol 2 online and mostly seems to work. Except, it appears the NotesOnWheels configuration is broken and causes an error (below).

Haven’t used lua yet, will start digging, but wanted to mention it - may be obvious to someone else what is wrong and be solved before I figure out what I’m doing.

Thanks,

Mickey

Scripting Tool Error:

‘C:\Users\Mickey\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (danoise [bjorn.nesby@googlemail.com]) for assistance…

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:2410: unknown property or function ‘mute_column’ for an object of type ‘Track’

stack traceback:

[C]: in function ‘_error’

[string “do…”]:48: in function <[string “do…”]:35>

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:2410: in function ‘mute_columns’

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:2390: in function ‘set_num_steps’

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:2145: in function <.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:2082>

[C]: in function ‘NOW_Sequence’

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:993: in function ‘create_empty_sequence’

.\Duplex/Applications/NotesOnWheels.lua:511: in function ‘start_app’

.\Duplex/BrowserProcess.lua:447: in function ‘start’

.\Duplex/Browser.lua:799: in function ‘start_current_configuration’

.\Duplex/Browser.lua:1474: in function <.\Duplex/Browser.lua:1470>

I could be wrong, but while I see methods inC:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalMidiActions.lua andC:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Scripts\GlobalOscActions.lua for muting sequences and tracks, I don’t see them for muting columns. Seems odd they would have been in there before and then removed, breaking any script dependencies, but wondering if that is what happened.

Lua reminds me a lot of Python, but it’s the first time I’ve ever looked at it, and someone more experienced than I might know something I don’t. In the meantime, I’ve just removed the nanoKontrol 2 NotesOnWheels script out of the Configurations folder so I don’t keep crashing Duplex when switching :\

Thanks,

Mickey

Thanks for the heads-up!

In the meantime, I’ve just removed the nanoKontrol 2 NotesOnWheels script out of the Configurations folder

I guess you “cancelled” the problem for now :smiley:

Lol…yes. Henceforth I will answer to the title “The CancelerChancellor”.

Okay, I’m still waking up; no one actually has to call me that,…

I’m on Mac Catalina, Renoise 3.3.1.
I use Mixer+Transport config, it works but the problem is the buttons don’t stay lit so I can’t see which track is muted