Duplex: Monome 64 no LED feedback

Hi,

Currently trying out renoise and one of the for me very attractive features was the native support for osc and monome with Duplex.

Got it mostly to work but feedback to monome by turing Led on/off do not work, the leds are all dead.

But when I press keys that is working ok. keypress are registered in renoise OK.

I use Seria-PyIO v0.4.1 and noticed same behaviour in both renoise 2.8 and 3.1.

Anyone that got it all working or that have any experience from Monome in renoise with Duplex.

Renoise look fantastic and I looking forward to get more familiar with it.

Thanks and all the best!

Christer

Got it mostly to work but feedback to monome by turing Led on/off do not work, the leds are all dead.

So, messages sent from duplex aren’t arriving at the monome. I guess you have already entered the correct OSC host and port?
Hm, previously I remember someone having an issue where the traffic would only arrive when using a host name (not IP address). Something due to the network configuration on that machine.

Otherwise I am not really familiar with this seria-pyIO. Do you have some information about this somewhere, could you explain how you’ve got it set up?

Thank you,

I have just tried under Windows 8.1 64bit yet and not under Linux. using local host ip 127.0.0.1

Serial-pyio is a small application written in python that run on Linux, apple and Windows, just like Renoise. That is what I like with it that it runs under Linux as well. Also it is very easy to set port number and prefix with it and it have a number of built in test application so that you can verify that your monome device is working ok.

My monome is a early version, a kit that I build.

I tired the one from monome site serieloscd but it is like a black box that say nothing, have no idea how to set host, port, test function etc. Read that it have to be done with some max/msp patch in some way, not really sure. Guess the idea is that it is just suppose to work in the background without need to interact, ok if all works, but if not and you need to troubleshoot it is a nightmare.

From its sourceforge page https://sourceforge.net/projects/serial-pyio/

Description

Serial/OSC/MIDI converter for monome devices. Similar to MonomeSerial, but platform independent and with additional features. It also includes an API-like suite of Python objects for interfacing directly with monome devices.

All the best,

Christer

Did some more testing with a tool form cyckling74, OSCRouter.https://cycling74.com/toolbox/oscrouter/#.Vssi8fnhBaR

From that one it looks like the osc command form duplex might be in the wring format.

It looks like led command are fore example /led, 4.000(f), 4.000(f), 0(i) when it should be/led, 4, 4, 0

I might be wrong, any ide how to change the output in different format?

Capture_OSC_renoise.JPG?raw=1

All the best,

Christer

I took a look what the osc messages from Serial-pyio looked like and from what I can see all messages are int no floats.

Maybe the problem is that renoise, duplex sending floats that Serial-pyio can not handle, just a guess.

Capture_OSC_renoise_monome.JPG?raw=1

All the best,

Christer

I’m currently trying to install the seria-pyio - I can confirm that the duplex+monome combination is still working with serialosc and monomeserial. So far, so good…

Edit: got the seria-pyio working with my momome128 on a Win8.1 64bit installation. Same OS as you, and messages are sentback and forth just fine - strange.

As for the float, int issue:

I took a look what the osc messages from Serial-pyio looked like and from what I can see all messages are int no floats.

Ah, yes, your detective work triggered my memory. Renoise did change this behaviour slightly during the 3.1 release.
Look here for the relevant topic:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/solved-osc-renoise-trigger-note-on/44252

Now, of course, since the monome controlmap specifies the patterns as, say,/grid/led/set 8 1 %i, of course duplex should treat them as integer values, not floats. Elsewhere (e.g. for the accellerometer) number are defined as %f, indicating a float value.

So I will check if that conversion is somehow left ambiguous. But even then, if we are truly running the same software it does not explain your problem- perhaps except that you are running a different version of monome that interpret the protocol in a slightly way.