Duplex Stepsequencer

Big thanks danoise … that’s it! :wink:

If I’m happy with my modifications I’ll post the code.

At the end there will be two more options in the step sequencer settings:
follow column and track mode (multiple, single) … or something like this.

After 3 days my beta of the advanced Duplex StepSequencer module is almost done.

beside the new possibility using any grid layout for step sequencing on one Renoise track, there are some other advantages like editing the currently selected note column, hear what you play/edit and some more mappings to set the volume. In order to my goal keeping the hands off the mouse completeley I added two things to the Effect and the TrackSelector module.

Maybe somebody has some time to test it. Everything is backward compatible and you have to change the StepSequencer options on older Duplex controller maps to get the new behaviors/features.
I haven’t testet it yet with the new Behringer controller map shown below and included in the zip, but that comes tomorrow. :slight_smile:

6744 Duplex_EDL_20160522.zip

--[[============================================================================
-- Duplex.Application.StepSequencer
============================================================================]]--

0.99 by Eran Dax Lonker
    - Added: "grid mode" option - use all grid buttons for only one track/column
             independent form the Duplex UI layout 
    - Added: "follow column" option - use the currently selected column
    - Added: "Write mode" option - insert notes only if pattern edit mode is on
    - Added: "Play notes" option - plays the current note if trigger pads are
              pushed (via OSC, if "Write notes" set not to "All time", notes 
              will be played only if pattern edit mode is off.)
    - Added: "display notes" option - display notes + volumens onto the grid buttons
    - Added: new mapping "levelslider" (single slider for setting the volume) 
             new mapping "lvelsteps" (single button for rotating the volume)
    - Added: grid mapping parameter button_size ... only needed to decide whether
             it's possible to display the note volume in addition to the note value
    - Fixed: wrong octave in Renoise notifications on changing the base note

--[[============================================================================
Duplex.Application.Effect
============================================================================]]--

0.99.?? by Eran Dax Lonker
    - Added: improved mapping for effect parameters - possibilty to set 
             an index for the group (for instance: you start with the
             second knob in group for the parameters and the first one
             is for device browsing) 

-- Duplex.Application.TrackSelector

0.99.4 by Eran Dax Lonker
    - New mappings: prev/next column
    - Changed: Button symbols changed

6745 Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-22 um 23.10.59.png

Cool, will definitely take a look

Edit: A quick look later, and everything seems good. Coding style too.

I recently got a Launchpad S and have been loving playing with this.

As someone who can’t code I’ll through in a wish list for whatever it’s worth:

1 - I wish notes on the Launchpad ran vertically to reflect Renoise visually

2 - It would be cool if tracks and columns were interchangeable. Seems now it’s limited to one column per track.

3 - Last, what if instead of transposing around to find the note you want, there was a way of using the last played note from a keyboard entered in.

I recently got a Launchpad S and have been loving playing with this.

As someone who can’t code I’ll through in a wish list for whatever it’s worth:

1 - I wish notes on the Launchpad ran vertically to reflect Renoise visually
2 - It would be cool if tracks and columns were interchangeable. Seems now it’s limited to one column per track.
3 - Last, what if instead of transposing around to find the note you want, there was a way of using the last played note from a keyboard entered in.

Hey, just saw this as I’m currently finishing of an update to the step sequencer, including the features by Eran.
This will be the first Duplex update in a while, as I’ve been busy with other things (including other tools :wink: )

To answer your questions:

1. This can be done by modifying the configuration file for the sequencer. I’ll make a vertical example in time for the update.
  2. Yes, this is something I am working on. The new version can navigate between columns and spread out a single track to cover to the entire grid - but columns side-by-side (instead of tracks) would be useful too.
  3. The sequencer has copy-paste built in, just press and hold any note. A short blink will tell you it got copied.

Very nice, can’t wait to play around with it.

Was playing around with this thing all night … it’s becoming quite useful :slight_smile:

Found a bug too. Which I’m going to fix, of course.

https://github.com/renoise/xrnx/issues/85

I’ll have to find a new Launchpad since I’ve made the Matrix/Navigator/Transport a very essential part of my workflow.

What do you mean by “The sequencer has copy-paste built in, just press and hold any note”? Can you do this on any midi keyboard, the computer keyboard?

What do you mean by “The sequencer has copy-paste built in, just press and hold any note”? Can you do this on any midi keyboard, the computer keyboard?

Copying notes is possible from the Launchpad or whatever you are using to control it. Just press and hold. But there needs to be an existing note to copy, somewhere, so it’s not a replacement for keyboard input.

Just wanted to point this out really, in case you missed that feature.

But I’m not opposed to using an additional MIDI keyboard for quickly dialing in notes. Actually, two other sequencers in Duplex (Mlrx and N.O.W.) are already doing this…

Hey, I wanted to say thanks for the latest update on this! The single column mode is a very useful (and fun) addition to a workflow.

One issue I noticed was that if I go to Device / Configuration / StepSequencer and change the Follow line to Follow + Set and press the corresponding button, Duplex (not Renoise) crashes and I get the contact author message. Seems like a cool feature if it works.