External samples

Usually there’s also a clean up function to clean unused files.

1 Like

+1 still waiting for this to make versioning smaller.

Perhaps the best way to cover this issue is a cumulative save of several xml versions of the song, with the same sample pack, within the same ZIP.

That is, in a single file, several versions of the same song (the XML information) would be saved, always using the same number of samples. If the user deletes samples before saving, there should be an option that says “clean old samples and song versions” or something like that. Any changes to the layout, naming, or number of samples will influence previous versions of the song, and that needs to be fixed.

We save different versions of the same song so we can go back. The point is to be able to do it in the safest way possible. Having duplicate XRNS (ZIP) files somehow guarantees not to lose progressions in the same project.

For me this issue is not a problem, because I use a PC with a lot of capacity. But I understand that it is an important matter for laptops with little capacity or old computers.

Given the risk of this matter, this should only be a very clear option for the user.

The smartest person will tell you: “use an external drive or increase your hard drives. Spend your money.” But this is a very interesting option, closer to something professional.

This would allow sharing projects of different versions very easily. You know, when selecting a song to load, you will have a list to select the version of the song, which could be linked to the save date. Even this would allow you to save an entire album!

That would be magnificent. The point is to find a “smart” way to save samples without duplicating them and for the XRNS file to work correctly with all saved XML versions of the song.

To maintain compatibility, I would suggest a new format: XRNA, (if free).

1 Like