Failed To Parse The Xlm (out Of Memory!)

Is there a limit on how much Memory you can use in Renoise 2?
I am Currently using 1.4GB (or 1429Mb) of RAM working on a song in Renoise and as soon as i save the program tells me to:

Do i risk losing data when this happens or can i just continue working, ignoring this message?
I have 4Gb of dedicated RAM and 6.1GB of Total Memory on my system so there is plenty to go around.

Is there a file that tells Renoise how much RAM it can use, can it be lifted and can this message be removed (if it doesn’t harm data)?

EDIT: ok, i just noticed that renoise says: Song couldn’t be saved. Damn…

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but in the case you’re using .wav samples in your instruments now, you could use the .flac option and have them automatically lossless compressed smaller.

some more info about the above mentioned “3GB option”:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf…PAE/PAEmem.mspx

in short: open c:\boot.ini and add /3gb to the end of your Windows entry.

this will allow Renoise to use up to 3GB of memory. If you have the 32 bit version of Windows, having more than 4GB of memory is useless, as the system cannot address it.

Thank you for the help guys!
I will try the /3GB in the boot.ini file and see how that works out (hopefully that wont kill the kernel).
Also, I Should have mentioned i was aware of the RAM limit in 32-bit systems to spare you guys some air :)

Anyways… how’s that 64-bit version of renosie coming along?

On windows, you’ll need 64bit versions of every single plug you are using then. So its good that Renoise is still 32bit on windows.
A 32bit host needs 32bit plugins, a 64bit hosts 64bit plugins. And there are just a handful of 64bit plugins out there?

Also 4GB is quite a lot. What we need instead is large sample streaming (not loading huge samples into memory) support…

Actually that isn’t true anymore taktik
There are now wrappers for 32 bit plugins to run in 64 bit OS

Something like a 64bit Renoise would be my cue to switch to a 64bit OS
With it being so heavily sample based i dont see any reason for me not to switch over

Obviously that is when you get chance to do a 64bit version

Cheers
Bungle

I wouldn’t mind a 64 bit version of renoise either, but i guess another benefit from streaming would be less memory fragmentation.

I think a huge advantage of streaming is the fact it is the first step to HD recording in Renoise
For sample based instruments it would be nice when there is layers and stuff so yeah streaming is nice albeit as an option because if you are in 64 bit and you have enough RAM to not stream an instrument then why stream it ? RAM is much quciker anyways and 64 bit is the way of the future
Cheers
Bungle

yes, there are just a bunch of 64-bit plugins, but basically it’s because only RAM-hungry plugins are in need for a real 64-bit version, while the others can rely on a wrapper.

Garritan ARIA, and East-West PLAY are already available in 64-bit fashion. I hope Kontakt will be too; I actually didn’t understand yet if there is a real 64-bit version of it, but I don’t think there is any yet.

If Renoise64 will be released, I would consider switching to a 64-bit OS, although you would also need 64bit drivers for your soundcard, which is another non-obvious issue you may face with…

Actually there is a 64 bit ASIO driver wrapper too for any card
I have tried it with about ten cards so far and all worked perfectly
Now i just gotta try and get the dev to release it standalone instead of just as part of his DAW
The DAW is in early alpha and i hope i can get him to release the driver wrapper sooner than the DAW

Cheers
Bungle

s this a generic wrapper VST? Haven’t heard of this before. Could you post a link?

Well, the 32bit version works just fine in 64bit windows + you can use up to 4GB instead of 2GB memory, so thats already an improvement. There much much more to do to make Renoise as sample HD streamer. That has not necessarily something to do with the 64 port…

JBridge

But this will be kind of slow and is thus not really a solution to the problem? I mean, it will allow you to run 32bit plugs, but at which cost?

what follows is my experience, but I am trying to think as generally as possible.

I think that those who are considering the migration to a 64-bit environment are really not interested in a complete 64-bit porting of their whole VSTs set; having that bunch of RAM-hungry plugins ported to 64, using others through a bridge if needed to mix them up, would suffice.

A perfect 64-bit system would comprise:

• 64-bit OS
  • 64-bit version of Renoise
  • 32-bit version of Renoise
  • 64-bit version of Kontakt, PLAY, ARIA
  • 32-bit version of other plugins, and 64-bit version where available
  • jBridge or similar

the idea is that, when you need more than 4GB of RAM, you are probably making sample-based music which will probably use samplers rather than synths. about CPU usage, I can make the example of my system: I have a 5-years old dual-core AMD CPU, but the CPU is enough to play an entire orchestra; what limits me is the HDD speed and the RAM.

for synth-based music, I would be happy with 32-bit Renoise loaded in 64-bit OS.

But what want then, is a 32bit Host (Renoise) that uses 64Bit VSTs for sample stuff (Kontakt), don’t you? And this is already possible by now.

Also I don’t think that you can simply switch over from a 32bit host made song to a 64bit host made song. The DLLs are wrapped, and thus will have different names, IDs…

do you mean that I could load Kontakt64 in Renoise32 under Windows64 and be able to load more than 4GB of samples? well, this would enough for me then.

there are multiple easy ways to fix this, really: usually you use Kontakt with aliases, so if you save the entire Kontakt multi as a single NKI file, you only have to load the new 64-bit DLL once, reload the NKI file and set up the aliases. for othe plugins, saving the preset and loading it back can be made in minutes.
also, I would not mind if I could not upgrade past songs.

I haven’t tried this yet, but JBridge claims that it can do this…

Problem is for me that i want to use as a little VST plugins as possible and use Renoise specifically for its sample playback abilities
So 64 bit Renoise is way more useful to me than being able to load 64 bit plugins into 32 bit Renoise

Cheers
Bungle

32bit Renoise ReWired to 64-bit Renoise…
Now we have a good reason to Rewire Renoise to Renoise…